obama proposes to ban 4H clubs and farm chores for kids

What is the reason for this. They're bored? I love when we have to "update" laws. What exactally is the problem with the old one? And why do they want to get rid of 4H, oh yeah it's PRIVATE orginization, we gotta have the govenment send in their min wage city employees who read about this stuff in a book.

What is the reason for this. They're bored? I love when we have to "update" laws. What exactally is the problem with the old one? And why do they want to get rid of 4H, oh yeah it's PRIVATE orginization, we gotta have the govenment send in their min wage city employees who read about this stuff in a book.

read the OP link. They are not trying to get rid of FAA and 4H, just replace their safety training with a government approved training. I think it's a huge waste of time and tax payer money, true, but it is not doing away with 4H or FAA as an entity.

This is just plain stupid. I used to pick berries, cherries, and beans growing up. I raised my own calves and it taught me about work and reward. Sad that we are taking this away from our children.

Wow...talk about hypocrisy.
Corporate Agriculture, especially the beef industry, employ underage illegals on a regular basis.
Yet - Obama goes after family farms.
Yeah...he is for the little guy alright. :eusa_eh:

read the OP link. They are not trying to get rid of FAA and 4H, just replace their safety training with a government approved training. I think it's a huge waste of time and tax payer money, true, but it is not doing away with 4H or FAA as an entity.

I think the point is they're trying to get rid of those programs for "approved" ones. Kinda how they did in schools with sex ed, taking stuff away from parents and private orginizations so we have govenment beaurecrats running the show. My question is what about 4h and FAA saftey training is not working?

I think the point is they're trying to get rid of those programs for "approved" ones. Kinda how they did in schools with sex ed, taking stuff away from parents and private orginizations so we have govenment beaurecrats running the show. My question is what about 4h and FAA saftey training is not working?

like I said, I do not disagree that replacing the safety training in FAA and 4H is a waste and not needed.

However, that is a far cry from the sky is falling mentality of the OP. The proposed changes do NOT affect family members doing chores on a family farm, only 'employees'.

People should actually READ and RESEARCH before they take what someone posts here as Gospel. That goes for BOTH sides of the spectrum.

Oh good gawd, WHY won't rw's take a moment to actually READ and UNDERSTAND the crap they post BEFORE they pile on?

Where does it say that? It says farmworkers and talks about age, it doesnt show any exemption for family.

And again the 4H has been doing this stuff for decades and now the government is gonna run safety courses for farmers? Nah, it's a power grab. the govenrment doesnt know dick about farming and needs to stay out of it.

Come now we can't have children growing up to believe they can raise their own food and grow their own vegetables now can we?

Politicians would lose all that bribe money from Monsanto

Where does it say that? It says farmworkers and talks about age, it doesnt show any exemption for family.

And again the 4H has been doing this stuff for decades and now the government is gonna run safety courses for farmers? Nah, it's a power grab. the govenrment doesnt know dick about farming and needs to stay out of it.

the words 'EMPLOYED' and 'EMPLOYMENT'is all over the text of the link I provided to the proposal.

http://www.dol.gov/opa/media/press/whd/WHD20111250.htm

If you're not an employee, it doesn't apply.

Also, there is this...
The FLSA also provides a complete exemption for youths employed on farms owned by their parents.

All this nonsense is exactly that. Nonsense.

Last edited:
Wow...talk about hypocrisy.
Corporate Agriculture, especially the beef industry, employ underage illegals on a regular basis.
Yet - Obama goes after family farms.
Yeah...he is for the little guy alright. :eusa_eh:

I see. You mean the laws don't affect the corperate farms? Care to point out the exemptions for them?

"Children employed" is that what you're referring too I didnt see much else. But when liberals argue over the definition of is, I'd like to be clear on this. And still if you have some buddies, they cant help out. I really really hate this overregulation for something that is not necessary. Is there a reason to update this law, other than age?

the words 'EMPLOYED' and 'EMPLOYMENT'is all over the text of the link I provided to the proposal.

WHD News Release: US Labor Department proposes updates to child labor regulations [08/31/2011]

If you're not an employee, it doesn't apply.

Also, there is this...
The FLSA also provides a complete exemption for youths employed on farms owned by their parents.

All this nonsense is exactly that. Nonsense.

Just like the present 'Conservative' opposition to alternative energies, hybrids and electrical vehicles, and the science behind the warming we are observing, this is an obligatory stand to take, no matter what the actual facts are.

I really fail to understand the psychology of this, and the 'Conservatives' are definately giving conservatives a black eye with their nonsense.

Forum List

Back