Obama math: under new Common Core, 3 x 4 = 11

No, what I am saying is there is more than one way to get the right answer. Calculus was invented to make getting the right answer easier, if we did it your way we would be stuck using an abacus and Roman Numerals.

How so?
You make no sense.

You want me to explain to you how calculus makes getting the right answer easier yet you want to insist that being able to explain how you got the answer is more important than the answer?

Students where I taught have to make 70% on their nursing math test to pass. The school I went to requires the student to make 95% to pass. You get three tries. If you don't pass it in 3 tries you are out. So when you go to the hospital, you should wonder which standard your nurse was held to.

You don't need to know that IM stands for intramuscular, all you need to do is figure out that 1.5 ml is equal to 150 mg.

:eek:

They tried to teach us metric when I was in 5th grade, eons ago. Uh, no. I don't do metric.

Metric is easy.

So I've heard.

So, did I get the math part right on Sunshine's first word problem?

Yep, but I would hate to have to explain it to the idiot that can't read.

:happy-1: Chalk one up for ZB.

I wonder if there is any correlation between common core and these posts? For example, it seems few people tried to research the reason for common core, they immediately made it political they made it into Obama's common core or a federal mandate. If it was not Obama or the feds, then who decided common core should be taught and why? In effect they they tried to solve the problem without a formula, but did they? How good was their reasoning?

So without politics, can anyone tell us what common core is, and why 45 or so states want it?
And the real baffler for many, why does common core not give students all the means to solve problems? Will students come closer to the correct answer than so many posters with their political reasons?

I wonder if there is any correlation between common core and these posts? For example, it seems few people tried to research the reason for common core, they immediately made it political they made it into Obama's common core or a federal mandate. If it was not Obama or the feds, then who decided common core should be taught and why? In effect they they tried to solve the problem without a formula, but did they? How good was their reasoning?

So without politics, can anyone tell us what common core is, and why 45 or so states want it?
And the real baffler for many, why does common core not give students all the means to solve problems? Will students come closer to the correct answer than so many posters with their political reasons?

I have no idea what it is, but I would guess the states that want it want it because the feds are throwing money at them if they take it.

You don't need to know that IM stands for intramuscular, all you need to do is figure out that 1.5 ml is equal to 150 mg.

:eek:

They tried to teach us metric when I was in 5th grade, eons ago. Uh, no. I don't do metric.

Metric is easy.

I did not find metric to be difficult either. IMO, it is much simpler than units of measurement used in the US. It is more precise when you figure things like med doses. Being based upon 10 and its multiples means it is super simple. But that's just me.

I have no idea what it is, but I would guess the states that want it want it because the feds are throwing money at them if they take it.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Forum List

Back