Obama math: under new Common Core, 3 x 4 = 11

Common core principle #1... it is more admirable for a child to explain why they can't understand the lessons, than to be naturally smart and understand the lessons easily.

What English classes should look like in Common Core era

The claim that the Common Core State Standards have abolished the teaching of literature makes for a great headline. Who wouldn’t get hot and bothered over the idea that high school students will no longer be reading “Romeo and Juliet,” “The Crucible,” and “Invisible Man?” I would be up in arms, too. Fortunately, nothing in the standards supports this claim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DW0VxxoCrNo

Tell us again Libs how this would not anger you if it was ok to tell your child the wrong answer is right .. I get the explanation part but tell them no try again when they get the CORRECT answer then ask them to explain how they got it.

The speaker provides no evidence for this claim.

Some of these common core opponents came to my town. They are some serious tin foil hat kind of people. Conspiracy theories involving Bill Gates, sooper sekrit societies, etc.

Yeah, they're all over the place, including, naturally, AM radio.

They're people who normally would have little if any influence because of a lack of education and/or expertise on a given subject. But let them take to the airwaves with the latest conservative conspiracy theory, and they can fill town halls and other public forums. Overnight they go from relative nobodies to people whose phones ring off the hook and whose email addresses fill up daily. In other words, they become important. That kind of sudden influence is like a narcotic. And naturally, they're hooked.

On a lighter mathematical note, here's a joke for everyone...

What's the absolute value of a conservative opinion when it comes to matters of education and the value of an education in any decision making process?

|0|

It is unfortunate Critical Thinking is not part of our education system. The lack of it definitely shows around here.

Try volunteering at your child's or grandchild's school and you'll see for yourself just how screwed up our education system is getting. The schools near the bigger cities are worse, in my experience. Maybe because there are so many students and many come from the poor neighborhoods. Seems to be a link between undisciplined children and welfare. Coincidence???? When parents aren't involved, it shows! And children do imitate their parents. If children don't have role models who go to work and are productive, then they aren't likely to be productive either.

The outcome based education, now referred to as common core, has been creeping into schools for years now. I believe it started with the Clinton administration. It is about making kids feel good about themselves and no one thought about the long term effects. Making the child feel smarter for getting the wrong answer now means they will fail as adults. How will it go over at the bank when the person can't balance their checkbook and they have to pay overdraft and bounced check fees? Won't feel too good then, will it?

Children are our future and dumbing them down by accepting ignorance isn't going to make the future very bright.

I went with my sister-in-law to my nieces parent teacher conference a few years back. My niece had been having trouble with math and English. She was in 8th grade and reading at a 3rd grade level. The teacher said that if students can read at a 5th grade level by graduation, that would be sufficient. Really?? I don't know how they came to that conclusion, but it was the norm for schools to pass students who really didn't deserve it.

Are we going to keep pretending that it's okay for children not to learn? That no one should tell them they need to get with the program and start paying attention, doing their homework and working to improve? Why is that a bad thing these days? Seems the only things children have to learn is that liberalism is good and everything else is bad. They don't let them slide on that, do they? I've seen some tests given in school where the students are taught that Republicans don't care about people and redistribution of wealth is a good thing.

Indoctrination doesn't require that students become intelligent. It merely seeks to make them obedient.

Last edited:
Try volunteering at your child's or grandchild's school and you'll see for yourself just how screwed up our education system is getting. The schools near the bigger cities are worse, in my experience. Maybe because there are so many students and many come from the poor neighborhoods. Seems to be a link between undisciplined children and welfare. Coincidence???? When parents aren't involved, it shows! And children do imitate their parents. If children don't have role models who go to work and are productive, then they aren't likely to be productive either.

The outcome based education, now referred to as common core, has been creeping into schools for years now. I believe it started with the Clinton administration. It is about making kids feel good about themselves and no one thought about the long term effects. Making the child feel smarter for getting the wrong answer now means they will fail as adults. How will it go over at the bank when the person can't balance their checkbook and they have to pay overdraft and bounced check fees? Won't feel too good then, will it?

Children are our future and dumbing them down by accepting ignorance isn't going to make the future very bright.

I went with my sister-in-law to my nieces parent teacher conference a few years back. My niece had been having trouble with math and English. She was in 8th grade and reading at a 3rd grade level. The teacher said that if students can read at a 5th grade level by graduation, that would be sufficient. Really?? I don't know how they came to that conclusion, but it was the norm for schools to pass students who really didn't deserve it.

Are we going to keep pretending that it's okay for children not to learn? That no one should tell them they need to get with the program and start paying attention, doing their homework and working to improve? Why is that a bad thing these days? Seems the only things children have to learn is that liberalism is good and everything else is bad. They don't let them slide on that, do they? I've seen some tests given in school where the students are taught that Republicans don't care about people and redistribution of wealth is a good thing.

Indoctrination doesn't require that students become intelligent. It merely seeks to make them obedient.

People who believe what they hear on talk radio are in no position to preach to others about the dumbing down of America.

I listen for the entertainment value (and the occasional shock value, I must admit). It's a hobby more than anything. I get a pretty good laugh out of it most of the time. And since I don't watch TV anymore and haven't for about 3 years (because it's so unfailingly ignorant even compared to twenty years ago), it's a guilty pleasure.

It's mostly propaganda, rumor, fear-mongering, and just plain lies. But, in and of itself, that doesn't bother me. What bothers me more is that it's constantly being painted and projected as if it's insightful erudition when it's nothing of the kind.

But do you know what bothers me the most? It's the people who call in and quite obviously blindly believe anything and everything they hear over the airwaves. Now, THAT is scary!

I heard it on the radio/TV/internet and it coincides with my belief system. It must be true.

If you were my patient in a hospital, I would be able to calculate your IV drip rate, you medicine to the nearest nanogram, and count out all your pills for the day. A lot of nurses these days cannot do any of that. We always gave a math question on our tests. Here was my question:

You are a community health nurse. You have an indigent patient who needs medication but has no insurance. The doctors order reads: Zyprexa 20mg by mouth every night. You have on hand samples of Zyprexa the pharm rep left last visit. Each bottle contains 7 ten milligram pills. It takes 28 days to get the patient on Tenncare. How many bottles will you give him to last until he has insurance. They would turn in two pages of equations and still have the wrong answer.

Another. Doctors order says: Haldol Decanoate 150mg IM every 4 weeks. You have on hand Haldol Decanoate in 100mg/1ml vials. How many ml do you give the patient IM every 4 weeks? I can figure these in my head. But your nurse likely will not be able to solve either one of them.

Scary isn't it?

I didn't read any further in the thread. Is the answer to the first problem: the patient would need a total of 56 10mg pills, so 8 bottles total would be needed?

:eusa_pray:

I have no clue on the second question ... I don't even know what IM stands for.

Don't they teach how to do these types of things in nursing school? Yeah, in addition to what you'd learn in school in general ... but with ml and IM and all ... don't they teach that?

You don't need to know that IM stands for intramuscular, all you need to do is figure out that 1.5 ml is equal to 150 mg.

:eek:

They tried to teach us metric when I was in 5th grade, eons ago. Uh, no. I don't do metric.

Try to see the entire picture before going off on a tangent. It is all about big money for text book companies and for test printing companies. It is exactly like NCLB, it makes money for those with high paid lobbyists.
But then you are so bent on keeping a conspiracy theory going, have fun.

this is probably how Dumbocrats figure their budgets.... :lol:

nothing wrong with creative/critical thinking....and this was a great example....
but getting the right numbers is also critical....

You should have applied critical thinking. Getting the number using the correct process is what is being taught. Getting the number correct is as easy as looking at your neighbors answers and if they agree writing it down.

Personally, I have a fairly literal way of understanding things.
I like to be able to visualise something in my head.
If I can work out a way of seeing in my minds eye how an equation works then I can understand it.

Something like quantum mechanics will probably always be a mystery to me because I can't visualise how it works.

If you were my patient in a hospital, I would be able to calculate your IV drip rate, you medicine to the nearest nanogram, and count out all your pills for the day. A lot of nurses these days cannot do any of that. We always gave a math question on our tests. Here was my question:

You are a community health nurse. You have an indigent patient who needs medication but has no insurance. You have on hand samples of Zyprexa the pharm rep left last visit. Each bottle contains 7 ten milligram pills. It takes 28 days to get the patient on Tenncare. How many bottles will you give him to last until he has insurance. They would turn in two pages of equations and still have the wrong answer.

Another. Doctors order says: Haldol Decanoate 150mg IM every 4 weeks. You have on hand Haldol Decanoate in 100mg/1ml vials. How many ml do you give the patient IM every 4 weeks? I can figure these in my head. But your nurse likely will not be able to solve either one of them.

Scary isn't it?

It's a shame alright.
The greatest risk, as I see it, is relying so much on mathemalculating machines that the operator can't even see if an answer is reasonable or not.

Mind you, I can't get the answer to the first problem Sunshine.
Is there something missing...do I need to know the dosage or is that something a nurse would just know?

[MENTION=27296]idb[/MENTION]

Yes, I left off the dose but when I saw that I corrected it. You are right about calculating machines. Nurses no longer have to figure drip rates themselves. The machines do it for them. There are many stupid mistakes in hospitals and some of them are fatal. It isn't just nurses, but since I AM a nurse, I am far harder on them than anyone else. Dennis Quaid's baby was overdosed on heparin. There was an infant in Colorado I believe who was overdosed on penicillin and died. I know the nurses AND the pharmacist in Colorado were charged by the DA with CRIMINAL negligence. That is out of the ordinary as these things usually fall within the civil and administrative realm. But if you do something that you know or should know is wrong that rises to the level of criminal negligence. When I worked a cancer floor we used pumps that delivered an automatic dose of medicine. One of the nurses installed a new syringe of morphine in the pump. The pharmacy in order to make it last longer had changed the concentration to a stronger concentration and circled the change in red. The nurse did not adjust the pump. That actually killed the man. When the error was discovered the doctor was going to order naltrexone to block the morphine, but the man had been screaming in pain for two days and his family just wanted to let him go head and die. That is what was done. But had this person not been an end stage cancer patient the nurse likely would have been fired, sued, and lost her job. I never made an error like that, but I was so overly cautious that I usually did my calculations 3 times.

Nurses have a system of checking insulin and heparin with another nurse to be sure they are correct. Likely the one who overdosed the Quaid baby ignored that procedure. One time and one time only I was tempted not to check a dose of insulin because we were busy. But I did do the check. I had drawn up the wrong insulin. When it peaked it would have killed the patient. There is a reason that people in health care need to know how to do math and procedures are in place for a reason! The more we dumb down education, and the more technically dependent we become, the greater the danger to your life. Machines can malfunction. I saw one malfunction once and pump a day's worth of lipids into a patient in 1 hour. Thank God that wasn't mine either. I was always just VERY very cautious and I never took the job lightly. Nurses are taught to look at a med dose 3 times before they give it. A couple of times I discovered I had made an error on the 3rd look. Now, they like to act like they are too busy to take that 3 seconds in the interest of your life.

Last edited:
I didn't read any further in the thread. Is the answer to the first problem: the patient would need a total of 56 10mg pills, so 8 bottles total would be needed?

:eusa_pray:

I have no clue on the second question ... I don't even know what IM stands for.

Don't they teach how to do these types of things in nursing school? Yeah, in addition to what you'd learn in school in general ... but with ml and IM and all ... don't they teach that?

You don't need to know that IM stands for intramuscular, all you need to do is figure out that 1.5 ml is equal to 150 mg.

:eek:

They tried to teach us metric when I was in 5th grade, eons ago. Uh, no. I don't do metric.

Metric is easy.

Forum List

Back