Obama lays down the law to Iran

The partisanship in all of this is obvious to even the most casual observer. GWB does it, that's bad. BHO does it, he's a visionary.

That's a given for the non-thinking partisan hacks.

But, the far more important issue is Iran and its nuclear weapons program.

Good for BHO, I say. Let's see if the rest of the world can do something, too.

Oh, and an interesting thing is the USA pays grants to Iran for development of water treatment. Iran has water issues. I will look for the numbers, but the money they receive from the USA through such development grants is a good chunk of dough. It's a humanitarian move.

Cut that.

Write your congress critter and demand that be included in any sanctions.

Ah, and I forgot about the monies that the World Bank gives Iran:
International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) financial assistance consists of three* loans to Iran for projects designed to help Iran's poorest people and to meet basic humanitarian needs. The three ongoing projects help improve access to water and sanitation, support the upgrading of housing in the poorest urban areas, and support better land and water management in poor rural areas. Funding for these loans is raised on the capital markets.

These projects were approved between 2004 and 2005 by the Board of Executive Directors of the World Bank, which represents 186 member countries.

It is estimated that undisbursed funds for IBRD projects in Iran will be approximately US$258 million as of October 1, 2009.**

The IFC program in Iran is focused on helping small businesses create jobs and spur economic growth. IFC's current portfolio in Iran is US$13.42 million in two projects, committed in 2004 and 2005, supporting small and medium businesses.

FAQs - Iran

If Iran cannot follow a treaty they signed, cut them off but cut them off totally.

All it is is political posturing. The U.S. can't technically prevent them from doing anything save going to war with them. President Bush, as well as past presidents have done the same kind of thing as Obama did. I am no fan of President Obama but I believe some people are busting on him about this, without considering the actuality of the situation.

All it is is political posturing. The U.S. can't technically prevent them from doing anything save going to war with them. President Bush, as well as past presidents have done the same kind of thing as Obama did. I am no fan of President Obama but I believe some people are busting on him about this, without considering the actuality of the situation.
I disagree, sort of. If the sanctions are effective and total, there is enough unrest in Iran that the Iranians may effect this themselves.

I disagree, sort of. If the sanctions are effective and total, there is enough unrest in Iran that the Iranians may effect this themselves.

While you made excellent points in your other post, it still would not prevent them from doing what they will. They might take action of their own accord in light of sanctions, but that is not the same thing as prevent.

Iran is a dangerous sewer. I think it would be bad news if they actually had the confirmed ability to fire nuclear weapons. We seem them as dangerous. They see us as dangerous, in more ways than one.

It bothers me that our government condemns Iran and other countries what they do, while helping to support them at the same time. Screw that hypocrisy.

It bothers me that our government sees fit to tell other sovereign countries what they can and can't do. Those in government leadership positions wouldn't put up with such talk. And yet, our government thinks it has the right to dictate such to others.

Iran is a dangerous sewer. .

Because ___________________________________________________________.

The Last country Iran invaded was ______________________________________.

If Iran was able to produce nuclear weapons that could actually reach the U.S., and they were of the mind to use them, that would be a dangerous threat to us. I am not saying that they would be able to destroy us. But it would be a threat just the same.

To suggest that they are not really a threat because they haven't invaded another country is a logical fallacy.

If Iran was able to produce nuclear weapons that could actually reach the U.S., and they were of the mind to use them, that would be a dangerous threat to us. I am not saying that they would be able to destroy us. But it would be a threat just the same.

To suggest that they are not really a threat because they haven't invaded another country is a logical fallacy.
Indeed.

Because they are breaking a treaty they willingly signed.

Bullshit.

Obama’s Hell-Ride to War on Iran

This time it is the artificially manufactured hype around an Iranian uranium enrichment facility that is under construction. Keep in mind that as a signatory to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) Iran, under Article IV of said treaty, has every right to enrich uranium to its heart’s content. The treaty clearly states: “Nothing in this Treaty shall be interpreted as affecting the inalienable right of all the Parties to the Treaty to develop research, production and use of nuclear energy for peaceful purposes without discrimination and in conformity with Articles I and II of this Treaty.”

Iran has, dutifully and ahead of required schedule, notified the International Atomic Energy Agency, tasked with monitoring adherence to the NPT, of its intent to bring this enrichment facility online in approximately 18 months.

Bullshit.

This time it is the artificially manufactured hype around an Iranian uranium enrichment facility that is under construction. Keep in mind that as a signatory to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) Iran, under Article IV of said treaty, has every right to enrich uranium to its heart’s content. The treaty clearly states: “Nothing in this Treaty shall be interpreted as affecting the inalienable right of all the Parties to the Treaty to develop research, production and use of nuclear energy for peaceful purposes without discrimination and in conformity with Articles I and II of this Treaty.”

Iran has, dutifully and ahead of required schedule, notified the International Atomic Energy Agency, tasked with monitoring adherence to the NPT, of its intent to bring this enrichment facility online in approximately 18 months.

They ARE currently in violation of the NPT. The requirements of the NPT are to allow the IAEA to inspect any activities in fissionable material. That is not the case. You've presented one of numerous demands the IAEA has on Iran.

Bullshit.

Wow, you should check things out first, the IAEA found out before Iran notified them. Iran notified the IAEA after they got caught.

Obama warns Iran: 'come clean' on nukes

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Backed by other world powers, President Barack Obama declared Friday that Iran is speeding down a path to confrontation and demanded that Tehran quickly "come clean" on all nuclear efforts and open a newly revealed secret site for close international inspection. He said he would not rule out military action if the Iranians refuse.

That sounds pretty assertive. What other nations does he have behind his statements?

Obama said he was especially pleased that Russia and China agreed with him that Iran must live up to its obligations under international rules on nuclear activities. The leaders of Britain and France joined Obama at his morning announcement.

Russia, China, the US, Britain, and France would make up a pretty formidable team it seems to me.

Agreeing with and actually doing something about it are 2 different things. You can pay lip service all you want to Iran...but when they shut off your oil your economy IS FUCKED!!!!

China said "More diplomacy...no sanctions" WTF kind of big "formidable team" player is that?

First, the world, esp Europe is starting to move away from oil!
Second, Iran's economy is based nearly entirely on oil, dido for Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Kuwait, Qatar and Venezuela (and Russia for that matter although the are also reliant on other raw material exports also)! You notice how Venezuela who hates us never cuts off the US, maybe that is because they can't afford to either! When an oil country embargos the West their economy sinks 100 fold also, esp one trick ponies like the Iranian economy!

Obama warns Iran: 'come clean' on nukes

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Backed by other world powers, President Barack Obama declared Friday that Iran is speeding down a path to confrontation and demanded that Tehran quickly "come clean" on all nuclear efforts and open a newly revealed secret site for close international inspection. He said he would not rule out military action if the Iranians refuse.

That sounds pretty assertive. What other nations does he have behind his statements?

Obama said he was especially pleased that Russia and China agreed with him that Iran must live up to its obligations under international rules on nuclear activities. The leaders of Britain and France joined Obama at his morning announcement.

Russia, China, the US, Britain, and France would make up a pretty formidable team it seems to me.

Agreeing with and actually doing something about it are 2 different things. You can pay lip service all you want to Iran...but when they shut off your oil your economy IS FUCKED!!!!

China said "More diplomacy...no sanctions" WTF kind of big "formidable team" player is that?

You are an idiot if you are anything. Shut your fuckin pie hole you neo con whore.

The following is a breakdown of us oil imports...See Iran anywhere????

Crude Oil Imports (Top 15 Countries)
(Thousand Barrels per Day)
Country Jun-09 May-09 YTD 2009 Jun-08 YTD 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CANADA 2,001 1,746 1,883 1,942 1,926
VENEZUELA 1,119 1,228 1,041 1,085 1,009
MEXICO 1,099 1,088 1,161 1,124 1,196
SAUDI ARABIA 902 996 1,050 1,448 1,515
NIGERIA 769 552 635 943 1,035
ANGOLA 435 493 535 636 496
IRAQ 374 254 468 693 674
RUSSIA 305 416 272 228 114
COLOMBIA 286 227 256 177 182
BRAZIL 269 380 336 280 221
ALGERIA 232 126 246 269 321
KUWAIT 170 93 170 179 219
UNITED KINGDOM 154 164 130 73 69
ECUADOR 148 187 216 178 192
NORWAY 120 92 79 36 38

Total Imports of Petroleum (Top 15 Countries)
(Thousand Barrels per Day)
Country Jun-09 May-09 YTD 2009 Jun-08 YTD 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CANADA 2,529 2,206 2,417 2,430 2,521
VENEZUELA 1,237 1,341 1,180 1,215 1,169
MEXICO 1,183 1,186 1,274 1,256 1,308
SAUDI ARABIA 959 1,079 1,084 1,464 1,530
NIGERIA 830 600 679 1,016 1,091
RUSSIA 578 813 638 764 478
ALGERIA 458 272 484 492 537
ANGOLA 447 505 547 649 506
IRAQ 374 263 471 693 674
COLOMBIA 313 243 283 180 205
BRAZIL 299 386 356 315 247
UNITED KINGDOM 268 250 262 286 223
VIRGIN ISLANDS 268 313 306 314 336
KUWAIT 179 93 174 183 223
NORWAY 173 171 136 122 118

Note: The data in the tables above exclude oil imports into the U.S. territories.

Oil is not an addiction, its a commodity we trade for, period.

Europe is not moving away from oil, they use more every year.

Oil is good, politicians are bad. We need to end our "addiction" to our current politicians. Term limit them out, take the tax laws away, take everything away, no more lobbiest, etc, etc.

Bullshit.

Wow, you should check things out first, the IAEA found out before Iran notified them. Iran notified the IAEA after they got caught.

Wow, you should check things out first. This the IAEA Website - show me where it says that the IAEA found out before Iran notified them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wait a second, I thought sitting down and talking to Iran without any preconditions was going to bring them to reason?

What the fucking fuck is going on around here?

Is Obama's Policy of "Speak Softly and Bring a good set of kneepads" not working?

How long has Obama known about the site near Qom? Was there a PDB? Hmm?

WHY is it OK for the US and Israhell to produce nuclear weapons that reach Iran but not vice versa?

WHY is it OK for the US and Israhell to produce nuclear weapons that reach Iran but not vice versa?

Did I say Iran doesn't have the right to have military weapons ( nuclear)? No, I did not. They have just as much right as we do.

Forum List

Back