Obama: It takes more than fine speeches

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Binden Shovel, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Binden Shovel

Binden Shovel Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It has been fascinating watching the Obama election campaign and his first 8 months in office. Brits generally see Obama as a good thing for America and the rest of the world, in comparison to George Bush.

I like most people was impressed with Obama's speeches, his eloquence and delivery are absolutely awesome. Watching him brought to mind one of my hero's Winston Churchill. He was amazing, the gold standard by which any public speaker would like to be measured.

With Churchill speaking was an important skill, however he possessed an unrivalled strength in depth of other talents that he used to help the allies win the war.

As an impartial observer their seems to be a lot of opinion that speaking appears to be Obama's only skill and that the American public are waiting to see what else he can do.

I recently published a book called Churchill's Secret Skills, the strap line on the cover sums up the position for Obama. "Keeping the Nazi's off the beaches required more than fine speeches". Obama needs to be able to prove he is more than just a great speaker, otherwise his talent will become a burden.

He came into office on a massive tide of expectation, amid a financial hurricane sweeping the world, all of his time will have been taken up dealing with the crisis. In reality, very little of substance can be achieved in 8 months of a first term, so from a British perspective I would say the jury is still out.

As a big fan of America I just hope he is able to deliver the goods.

Binden

2. rayboyusmc

rayboyusmc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +338
    He will despite the total effort of the right to resist everything he does just for the sake of resisting.

There is no right wing policy right now. There is an Obama policy and an anti-Obama policy.

I am sorry to believe this, but the current RNC is far more interested in destorying him than in caring about what is good or bad for this country.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  3. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Stopping crazy policy is pretty damn good policy. It's also exactly how the liberals dealt with Bush on Iraq.

4. PLYMCO_PILGRIM

PLYMCO_PILGRIM Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,863
    My Problem with Obama's speeches is he says stuff I agree with in the speeches he gives, then he acts completely different.

He is very good at saying one thing while doing another. He gets away with it because the majority of the media is complicit in his duplicity.

5. Binden Shovel

Binden Shovel Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Part of the problem with politicians these days is that they have to be young to get voted in.

Churchill had a lifetime of experience before he took office. He was 65 when he took on responsibility for defending Britain.

These days anyone over 55 is considered too old for office and yet it is the age and experience that make all the difference.

Binden

6. Lonestar_logic

Lonestar_logic Republic of Texas

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,505
    Where is Obama's policy? Have you seen it? Care to share it with everyone else?

7. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,702
    Obama is nothing more than a cheap Chicagoland political hack. He's not worth the gunpowder it would take to blow him up. He "talks the talk" but can't "walk the walk." History is going to show that he was the worst Presidents we have ever had - worse than even Jimmy Carter, if anybody can actually be that worthless as a President. Most of the sensable people here in America are just sitting back counting the days until he is voted out of office. It was nice that the country elected a black man as it's President but it's a true shame that this was the dirtball they elected. He is a very poor example and is liked only by his band of following sheep.

8. Maple

Maple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +568
    No kiddin, that's all he's good for and they aren't speeches, he is reading a teleprompter. It's obvious to anyone who knows anything about the economy that this guy flunked econ 101 and needs to be seriously taking a look at that class again.

9. Lycurgus

Lycurgus Who is Obama, really...??

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +258

Gayboy, do you wash Obama's shorts for him as well?

:eusa_whistle:

10. Andrew2382

Andrew2382 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +537
    If Obama succeeds it will be defined as greatness because of the harsh opposition of the right...even though the left controls everything right now

If he fails he will fail because of the GOP machine working against him.