Obama: I need a democratic senate

thereisnospoon

Gold Member
Apr 11, 2010
mid south
Looks like POTUS has again shown how desperate he is to maintain power for his own reasons.

Supreme Court vacancies should motivate GOP voters too
By Kimberly Atkins, Boston Herald (MA) August 14, 2014 6:52 am
Print Tell a Friend Text Size: A A A
justices2WASHINGTON -- Facing Democratic fears about losing control of the U.S. Senate, President Obama is using looming Supreme Court battles and the possibility of new justice appointments to fire up his base for the upcoming midterm elections.

"I need a Democratic Senate," Obama said at a Monday night fundraiser in Tisbury on Martha's Vineyard, where he is vacationing. "We're going to have Supreme Court appointments, and there are going to be a whole host of issues that many people here care about that are going to be determined by whether or not Democrats retain the Senate."

Major legal battles over Obamacare, same-sex marriage, religious freedom and voting rights are set to land before the nation's top court. Democrats have voiced concerns about losing the Senate, which confirms judicial appointments. A Republican-held Senate could derail or stall the president's nominees.

Brad Dayspring, spokesman for the National Republican Senatorial Committee, called the president's comments "the latest example of Democrats trying to find an issue -- any issue -- to motivate unenthused Democratic voters."

A White House spokesman later said the statement was not make in reference to any specific potential vacancy. But Obama's comments echo those from both liberal and conservative interest groups including the National Rifle Association that have stressed the importance of both this year's midterm elections and the 2016 presidential election in determining the ideological tilt of the high court.

No justice has indicated any plans to retire. The court's eldest member, Clinton appointee Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, is 81 and has twice battled cancer in addition to other recent injuries and health scares. In 2012 she broke two ribs in a fall at her home, and she suffered fainting spells in her Supreme Court office and again on an airplane in 2009.

Ginsburg has repeated denied plans to retire, rebuffing calls from liberals for her to step down before Obama's second term ends lest a Republican reclaim the White House. Last month she told Yahoo News' Katie Couric: "All I can say is that I am still here and likely to remain for a while."

Three other justices are in their late 70s: Reagan appointees Justices Antonin Scalia and Anthony Kennedy, both 78, and Justice Stephen Breyer, a Clinton appointee and former Massachusetts federal appellate judge who turns 76 on Friday.Kennedy has often been the swing vote in the court's 5-4 rulings.

___

(c)2014 the Boston Herald

Visit the Boston Herald at Boston Herald | Boston Herald

What thereisnospoon is yelling about is exactly what we in the GOP were yelling about in 1992,1996,2000,2004,2008,2012, and will be yelling about in 2016.

Who controls appointments to the USSC control the constitutional direction of the country.

He needs to resign then he won't have to worry his hateful little self over it

Glad to see Obama getting nervous. Maybe it'll lead to enough stress to cause him to have a heart attack. Nah, we're not that lucky.

As far as the election goes though, I doubt either the House or the Senate will flip.

Glad to see Obama getting nervous. Maybe it'll lead to enough stress to cause him to have a heart attack. Nah, we're not that lucky.

As far as the election goes though, I doubt either the House or the Senate will flip.
Stress? After November he's off to play golf for two years while being paid. I'll take that kind of stress any day...

Obama needs a Democrat Senate...and for the 22nd Amendment To Be Repealed!

He can't get anything done unless he is President For Life.

There's a widespread perception that presidents get afflicted by Second Term Blues, which led Lawrence Summers to propose in a recent op-ed that we abolish second terms and give chief executives a single, six-year term.

(snip)

.... But James Alt, Ethan Bueno de Mesquita, and Shanna Rose have been able to exploit state-by-state variance in term limits rules to quantitatively study the impact of term limits on the performance of governors.

They find two things that both cut against Summers' proposal. Specifically, they "show that economic growth is higher and taxes, spending, and borrowing costs are lower under reelection-eligible incumbents than under term-limited incumbents (accountability), and under reelected incumbents than under first-term incumbents (competence), all else equal."

In other words, governors get better at governing when they've been in office longer. But at the same time, governors who are eligible to run for reelection do better than governors who are ineligible.

This suggests that if the second-term curse is real (Jonathan Bernstein offers some doubts), then the cure is more likely to be the opposite of Summers' prescription. It could be that by rendering second-term presidents ineligible for future terms in office, the 22nd Amendment is slightly undermining the quality of governance by eliminating the basic mechanism of electoral accountability.

To cure presidents' second-term woes, stop limiting them to two terms - Vox

He needs to resign then he won't have to worry his hateful little self over it

Hateful? I guess his opponents can't recognize a classic case of projection!!!

Psychology

The tendency to ascribe to another person feelings, thoughts, or attitudes present in oneself, or to regard external reality as embodying such feelings, thoughts, etc., in some way.

Psychoanalysis

Such an ascription relieving the ego of a sense of guilt or other intolerable feeling.

Projection | Define Projection at Dictionary.com

Stress? After November he's off to play golf for two years while being paid. I'll take that kind of stress any day...

Basically..unless of course they impeach.

Then? The fun begins.

Basically..unless of course they impeach.

Then? The fun begins.
Not gonna happen...

. . . because the TPM congresspeople control the caucus until next January.

Then we will see BHO and the GOP working together.

America needs a Democratic controlled House and Senate.

As long as one political party in our country refuses to do anything, even the most basic of functions like appointing ambassadors to Guatemala and Russia (where we really do need ambassadors) the GOP should not be in a position to govern because doing nothing has cost us a lot.

. . . because the TPM congresspeople control the caucus until next January.

Then we will see BHO and the GOP working together.

Lolololol

What are you smoking? Potent stuff thats for sure.

:lol: the TPM lost 128 of 131 primary contests, and some goobers are saying, "but the GOP is further right now." Yeah, until January, when the 11 TPM congrsesscritters are moved to the back benches in assignments.

Looks like POTUS has again shown how desperate he is to maintain power for his own reasons.

Supreme Court vacancies should motivate GOP voters too
By Kimberly Atkins, Boston Herald (MA) August 14, 2014 6:52 am
Print Tell a Friend Text Size: A A A
justices2WASHINGTON -- Facing Democratic fears about losing control of the U.S. Senate, President Obama is using looming Supreme Court battles and the possibility of new justice appointments to fire up his base for the upcoming midterm elections.

"I need a Democratic Senate," Obama said at a Monday night fundraiser in Tisbury on Martha's Vineyard, where he is vacationing. "We're going to have Supreme Court appointments, and there are going to be a whole host of issues that many people here care about that are going to be determined by whether or not Democrats retain the Senate."

Major legal battles over Obamacare, same-sex marriage, religious freedom and voting rights are set to land before the nation's top court. Democrats have voiced concerns about losing the Senate, which confirms judicial appointments. A Republican-held Senate could derail or stall the president's nominees.

Brad Dayspring, spokesman for the National Republican Senatorial Committee, called the president's comments "the latest example of Democrats trying to find an issue -- any issue -- to motivate unenthused Democratic voters."

A White House spokesman later said the statement was not make in reference to any specific potential vacancy. But Obama's comments echo those from both liberal and conservative interest groups including the National Rifle Association that have stressed the importance of both this year's midterm elections and the 2016 presidential election in determining the ideological tilt of the high court.

No justice has indicated any plans to retire. The court's eldest member, Clinton appointee Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, is 81 and has twice battled cancer in addition to other recent injuries and health scares. In 2012 she broke two ribs in a fall at her home, and she suffered fainting spells in her Supreme Court office and again on an airplane in 2009.

Ginsburg has repeated denied plans to retire, rebuffing calls from liberals for her to step down before Obama's second term ends lest a Republican reclaim the White House. Last month she told Yahoo News' Katie Couric: "All I can say is that I am still here and likely to remain for a while."

Three other justices are in their late 70s: Reagan appointees Justices Antonin Scalia and Anthony Kennedy, both 78, and Justice Stephen Breyer, a Clinton appointee and former Massachusetts federal appellate judge who turns 76 on Friday.Kennedy has often been the swing vote in the court's 5-4 rulings.

___

(c)2014 the Boston Herald

Visit the Boston Herald at Boston Herald | Boston Herald

Someone tell the dope he has one.

Forum List

Back