Obama Considering Presidential Run In 2008

In answer to your last question, a Christian Conservative is radical when they want to destroy the separation of Church and State and impose their religious mores on us through legislation and Court decisions.

Good answer. Hawk might be able to understand that since we share the same belief.

I'm less than impressed by Sen. Barack Obama.

The man talks the talk, but I don't think he can walk the walk.

He has been brought along slowly, these last few years, kind of like the "great black hope, he's the "great liberal hope".

Well, I'm not buying into it.

Electing someone like Obama President would be a mistake of gigantic proportions.

However, I'd love to see the Dem's run the young man, cause he would lose.

As a Republican, I'm more afraid of Ms Clinton.:eek2:

I think you're mistaking democrats for Republicans since, near as I can tell, the Republicans on the board don't ever criticize their own and would never vote for a democrat.
I beg to differ. While I don't recall calling GW names, I've strongly criticized him, not to mention posting many negative articles from mostly the 'right' doing the same.
Come on now.... truth... is there a dem you'd vote for? (Lieberman and Zell Miller don't count, they're DINO's).
Let's see, I voted for Carter, the second time, (I lost). I voted for Blogo for gov and probably will again, on the hope and prayer that he is indicted and we end up better than a Topinka governor.
Also, if you've read my posts, you might have seen me say that I've never voted for a mayor who's a democrat. Wasn't an intentional thing. Just worked out that way.

In answer to your last question, a Christian Conservative is radical when they want to destroy the separation of Church and State and impose their religious mores on us through legislation and Court decisions.
I consider myself Christian and conservative, yet I was one of the few voices saying what the Republicans-including GW were doing during Schiavo was wrong. I also think what is going on in CA schools regarding indoctrinating public schools kids into Islam is also wrong. There are many other areas where we have hit agreement. So, what is one to do?

How is Lieberman a DINO?

Because he supports the war on terror?

I support the war on terror. I don't support Bush's adventure into Iraq. So you can start there. But it's other issues, too, including school vouchers.

Doesn't matter, though. The Repubs in CT will vote for him and get all their views represented since their own candidate is a cipher.

I support the war on terror. I don't support Bush's adventure into Iraq. So you can start there. But it's other issues, too, including school vouchers.

Doesn't matter, though. The Repubs in CT will vote for him and get all their views represented since their own candidate is a cipher.
Any progressive that cares about inner city, poor kids, would be for school vouchers. The fact that more don't, makes them sycophants.

Any progressive that cares about inner city, poor kids, would be for school vouchers. The fact that more don't, makes them sycophants.

Any kid in our region can pick my son's school to go to if his or her school is underperforming.

All vouchers do is suck the money out of my kid's city school.

And hell if I'm a sycophant..... but I'm not going to let his school get raped because someone else wants their kid to go to parochial school. Just how it is.

Any kid in our region can pick my son's school to go to if his or her school is underperforming.

All vouchers do is suck the money out of my kid's city school.

And hell if I'm a sycophant..... but I'm not going to let his school get raped because someone else wants their kid to go to parochial school. Just how it is.

Why would I bet your kid is not in a 'failing' school?

Why would I bet your kid is not in a 'failing' school?

Which has what to do with me being unwilling to pay for parochial school for other people's kids so the money can be sucked out of his school? I have a better idea... fund head start; get daycare for poor working moms so they can go to school or get jobs. Raise the tax base in the neighborhoods with the "failing" schools.... get rid of tenure and make sure teachers actually teach.

But don't pay for parochial school instead. Real simple.

*Edit* And vouchers hasn't a thing to do with "failing" schools... it's all about making sure the public schools are starved.

Which has what to do with me being unwilling to pay for parochial school for other people's kids so the money can be sucked out of his school? I have a better idea... fund head start; get daycare for poor working moms so they can go to school or get jobs. Raise the tax base in the neighborhoods with the "failing" schools.... get rid of tenure and make sure teachers actually teach.

Hello Jillian, it's not all about parochial schools. For your information, many Catholic dioceses are totally against the idea of vouchers, as it would be an 'in' for government interference. Many parochial schools reject even the 'book programs' that allow them cost free texts. Get a grip, we're talking the possibility of a choice for people that cannot afford it.

Parochial schools, at least the Catholic schools, have always provided ways for parents to send their kids, even if they couldn't afford tuition.

My cousin went to Fenwick, http://fenwick.pvt.k12.il.us/
on a free ride. His father had died when he was 6, the youngest of 5 kids. He'd gone through catholic grammar school, tuition free after 4th grade, though my aunt worked in the office until he was in 6th grade, then he helped the custodian through 8th grade.

The Catholic school I'm at has 10 families, (34 students) that we are 'subsidizing', all are Hispanic. That is in DuPage county. So don't get all 'high and mighty' about priviledge.

Obama is simply the highest a Black has reached in the Democratic party. He is being pushed by the Black Base of the Democrats because they have promised them for 50 years that they supported blacks. So this is just a flashy instance that they can say, "hey look we do support black candidates." He's too inexperienced, not that that is a bad thing since sometimes great leaders can come from unknowns. What i do know about him though is that he is a liberal through and through. Bigger government, higher taxes, welfare out the ass. I want none of that.

He's a young, attractive, black male. He's the trophy that the Democrats like to show people to prove they care about blacks. That way when they bash the numerous Black Republican elected officials as uncle tom's then they think it justifies their behaviour.

The Muslim factor. And just another Big Machine Democrat.

I think's he's not the anti-Christ but is unelectable. He's a lightweight:

1. S.CON.RES.42 : A concurrent resolution recognizing the historical significance of the Juneteenth Independence Day, and expressing the sense of Congress that history should be regarded as a means for understanding the past and solving the challenges of the future.

2. S.CON.RES.53 : A concurrent resolution expressing the sense of Congress that any effort to impose photo identification requirements for voting should be rejected.

3. S.RES.291 : A resolution to congratulate the Chicago White Sox on winning the 2005 World Series Championship.

4. S.RES.516 : A resolution recognizing the historical significance of Juneteenth Independence Day and expressing the sense of the Senate that history should be regarded as a means for understanding the past and solving the challenges of the future.

5. S.RES.529 : A resolution designating July 13, 2006, as "National Summer Learning Day".

The only bills he's sponsored so far in his Senate career. Four of five, fluff, the other to prevent his worst nightmare. He would have never been elected to the Senate in the first place if there'd been a law requiring photo voter ID in Illinois.

The media is probably hyping up lightweight Obama these days to keep peoples' attention OFF Nancy Pelosi who is certainly no lightweight in the Dem party. If she gets to be Speaker of the House we are in for some problems, first thing being increased taxes.

Speaking of the "Muslim factor", just exactly what is Obama's religion or belief system? I understand he claims to be Christian but what Christian church does he belong to? What formed his religious beliefs? He is the son of a white American woman who was a secular humanist/atheist and the son of a black Kenyan father who was also non-religious but was raised in a Muslim family. Obama lived in Indonesia as a child and Indonesia is heavily Muslim.

I suspect Obama's so far Left Wing that he has no real true religion but is a secular humanist/commie type posing as a "Christian" for political purposes. I know he supports abortion, even partial birth abortion. Any Democrat here know what Obama's true religion is, if he truely has one? Does he attend church regularly, and if so, which one?

Heh, Obama never went to public school, sonofarich goatherder.

Which has what to do with me being unwilling to pay for parochial school for other people's kids so the money can be sucked out of his school?

It has to do with "if it aint broke, don't fix it".

I have a better idea... fund head start;

Already funded. Overrated.

get daycare for poor working moms so they can go to school or get jobs.

Don't. Kids under five learn more at home. Daycare sucks for the most part.

Raise the tax base in the neighborhoods with the "failing" schools....

And who's supposed to pay these new taxes in a low-income neighborhood? Spending isn't helping the Washinton DC schools much,.

get rid of tenure and make sure teachers actually teach.

There's the better idea. And fire every other "administrator".

Because it's against the non-existant constitutional seperation of church and state?

It's about a failing public educational system. Real simple.

*Edit* And vouchers hasn't a thing to do with "failing" schools... it's all about making sure the public schools are starved.

It's a solution other than throwing good money after bad. Public schools have no competition, nada.

Heh, Obama never went to public school, sonofarich goatherder.

It has to do with "if it aint broke, don't fix it"

Partly. His elementary school doesn't even get Title I funds, so, no, I don't want to see good schools punished. Raise the standards for the bad schools.

Already funded. Overrated.

Every reliable indicator says head start moves mountains.

Don't. Kids under five learn more at home. Daycare sucks for the most part.

Why do I think you aren't a parent? Kids learn where they're taught. Poverty and that type of parenting are often inconsistent. What you're talking about is leaving a largely single-parent population on welfare rather than getting them to work. I figured that would go against your grain. Also, I need to point out that my son was in daycare from the time he was 2 1/2, went to pre-K and is in 4th grade and reads at better than a 10th grade reading level. So... so much for daycare sucking.

And who's supposed to pay these new taxes in a low-income neighborhood? Spending isn't helping the Washinton DC schools much,.

If you notice, I didn't talk about "new taxes". I talked about raising the tax base by getting people to work.

There's the better idea. And fire every other "administrator".

I'm ok with that.

Because it's against the non-existant constitutional seperation of church and state?

It's not non-existent. Freedom of religion requires freedom from religion.... not to mention the fact that when you involve the State in religion that benefits neither the state nor religion.

It's about a failing public educational system. Real simple.

I'd say it's a different agenda, hence it being pushed largely by fundamentalist evangelicals, Catholics and Orthodox Jews (like Lieberman).

It's a solution other than throwing good money after bad. Public schools have no competition, nada.

How about making the public schools better by first starting with making teachers teach and getting parents involved in their own children's education before you defund them?

You're not talking about creating competition. You're talking about making public schools non-existent.

Hello Jillian, it's not all about parochial schools. For your information, many Catholic dioceses are totally against the idea of vouchers, as it would be an 'in' for government interference. Many parochial schools reject even the 'book programs' that allow them cost free texts. Get a grip, we're talking the possibility of a choice for people that cannot afford it.

Parochial schools, at least the Catholic schools, have always provided ways for parents to send their kids, even if they couldn't afford tuition.

My cousin went to Fenwick, http://fenwick.pvt.k12.il.us/
on a free ride. His father had died when he was 6, the youngest of 5 kids. He'd gone through catholic grammar school, tuition free after 4th grade, though my aunt worked in the office until he was in 6th grade, then he helped the custodian through 8th grade.

The Catholic school I'm at has 10 families, (34 students) that we are 'subsidizing', all are Hispanic. That is in DuPage county. So don't get all 'high and mighty' about priviledge.

I'm not quite sure where you're getting that from what I posted.

All religious schools offer subsidies.... Catholic Schools, Yeshivas, I'd assume mosques, too, although I don't know for sure. Again, I'm not quite sure what that has to do with my objection to funding parochial school education with my tax dollars.

I side with you here. I went to Parochial school and I technically paid for it by working at the school through a work program that was run afterschool. It helps tremendously if kids actually do shit.

I'm not quite sure where you're getting that from what I posted.

All religious schools offer subsidies.... Catholic Schools, Yeshivas, I'd assume mosques, too, although I don't know for sure. Again, I'm not quite sure what that has to do with my objection to funding parochial school education with my tax dollars.

vouchers have little or nothing to do with traditional 'parochial'/faith based schools, they don't qualify if they are staying 'true to their mission'. Thus the idea of not supporting vouchers because of such, is a diversion. You are truly against competition for failing schools. Happy to keep the impoverished down.

vouchers have little or nothing to do with traditional 'parochial'/faith based schools, they don't qualify if they are staying 'true to their mission'. Thus the idea of not supporting vouchers because of such, is a diversion. You are truly against competition for failing schools. Happy to keep the impoverished down.

Yeah...that must be it, Kathianne. Sure it is. :smoke:

Screaming Eagle, Barack's far, far left. His actual religion is controversial, these Muslims think he's hunky-dory:

http://www.masnet.org/prof_personality.asp?id=1508

Hope he realizes every election isn't that easy.

Partly. His elementary school doesn't even get Title I funds, so, no, I don't want to see good schools punished. Raise the standards for the bad schools..

And how to raise the standards for the bad schools? I thought the left didn't like standarized testing.

Every reliable indicator says head start moves mountains.

You're so 1992. It's effects wear off, track Head Start to grade nine, but it is a classic liberal "feel good" program.

Why do I think you aren't a parent?

Because you're not thinking correctly again?

Kids learn where they're taught.

Then, when the kids are in public schools, they should learn...but they don't.

Poverty and that type of parenting are often inconsistent.

A liberal can't change his/her elitist stripes.

What you're talking about is leaving a largely single-parent population on welfare rather than getting them to work.

No. All I said was daycare sucks for "them".

I figured that would go against your grain.

Sort of. Single motherhood should be avoided, that's the ultimate risk factor.

Also, I need to point out that my son was in daycare from the time he was 2 1/2, went to pre-K and is in 4th grade and reads at better than a 10th grade reading level. So... so much for daycare sucking.

Uh-huh, had one like that, too, years ago. It costs us then $150 per week, almost as much as Head Start.

Daycare doesn't suck unless you're poor, but that's not the problem to us.

If you notice, I didn't talk about "new taxes". I talked about raising the tax base by getting people to work.

Enforcing existing laws against hiring illegal immigrants would expand the tax base, too.

It's not non-existent. Freedom of religion requires freedom from religion.... not to mention the fact that when you involve the State in religion that benefits neither the state nor religion.

Point is, the phrase does not appear. It did in some letter Jefferson wrote, bfd.

Another thing NOT taught in public school, not PC enough.

I'd say it's a different agenda, hence it being pushed largely by fundamentalist evangelicals, Catholics and Orthodox Jews (like Lieberman).

They're already implementing their agenda, they call the program "private school", "parochial school" and "home school".

How about making the public schools better by first starting with making teachers teach and getting parents involved in their own children's education before you defund them?

Again, we call the process "private schools", "parochial schools" and "home schools", or we sometimes attend public schools if we live in a upper-middle class suburb!

Vouchers for public schools? Flip off the NEA?

You're not talking about creating competition. You're talking about making public schools non-existent.

Psssssst.....white flight, you're late..........

Forum List

Back