Obama Considering Presidential Run In 2008

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Perfect, a candidate with no record. :rolleyes: He'll probably win, a great situation for time of war:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061022/ap_on_el_pr/obama2008

1 hour, 53 minutes ago

Sen. Barack Obama acknowledged Sunday he was considering a run for president in 2008, backing off previous statements that he would not do so.

The Illinois Democrat said he could no longer stand by the statements he made after his 2004 election and earlier this year that he would serve a full six-year term in Congress. He said he would not make a decision until after the Nov. 7 elections.

"That was how I was thinking at that time," said Obama, when asked on NBC's "Meet the Press" about his previous statements.

"Given the response I've been getting the last several months, I have thought about the possibility" although not with any seriousness or depth, he said. "My focus is on '06. ... After November 7, I'll sit down and consider it."

Obama was largely unknown outside Illinois when he burst onto the national scene with a widely acclaimed address at the 2004 Democratic National Convention.

In recent weeks, his political stock has been rising as a potentially viable centrist candidate for president in 2008 after former Virginia Gov. Mark Warner announced earlier this month that he was bowing out of the race.

In a recent issue of Time magazine, Obama's face fills the cover next to the headline, "Why Barack Obama Could Be The Next President." He is currently on a tour promoting his latest book, "The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream."

On Sunday, Obama dismissed notions that he might not be ready to run for president because of his limited experience in national politics. He agreed the job requires a "certain soberness and seriousness" and "can't be something you pursue on the basis of vanity and ambition."

"I'm not sure anyone is ready to be president before they're president," Obama said. "I trust the judgment of the American people.

"We have a long and vigorous process. Should I decide to run, if I ever decide to, I'll be confident that I'll be run through the paces pretty well," Obama said.

i dont really care. Im not going to vote for him regardless. He is just about the same as any other liberal Democrats Ive seen. he just has more charisma than most. but the policies are still the same.

I actually found his speech at the DNC wonderful. But I don't vote for people because they are able to deliver an address well...if that is all we are looking for we might as well stop the pretense and elect Morgan Freeman president.

I get very nervous anytime someone is so eager to become a senator, but is thinking about jumping ship with less than one term under their belt. It's one reason I really didn't trust John Edwards. He had spent more time campaigning for things than actually being a senator.

Right now, I think that Americans in general are just looking for someone to inspire them. John F. Kerry was not inspiring. He was simply not Bush. That didn't work for Democrats, so now they are searching for someone who can inspire. On the Republican side, Bush did inspire people - but many Republicans feel that Bush's second term was full of disappointments on numerous levels. Now they are looking for someone who will truly be a Republican.

Obama looks great so far...but no one really knows anything about him except that he is young, attractive enough, and well-spoken. Unfortunately, in many cases that is enough to get yourself elected in this country.

Someone tell me what Obama has done, without a senior democrat in tow, to merit being Senator, much less president? Even the Chicago papers had a problem with that, two short years ago. What do you know of him, other than young, handsome, black, and well educated?

Help me. Bonnie, Kathianne. I'm experiencing de ja vu.....sort of. The same thing happened when I watched Oprah on Thursday too. Spooky.

I don't think there is any help to be had. Seriously. It's like Illinois writ large. Dan Walker came out of nowhere back in the 70's, made a big deal of 'walker, walking the state.' He won, was indicted, went to jail. :coffee3:

I don't think there is any help to be had. Seriously. It's like Illinois writ large. Dan Walker came out of nowhere back in the 70's, made a big deal of 'walker, walking the state.' He won, was indicted, went to jail. :coffee3:

I said help me. Don't you remember that discussion last year or what it the year before?

Someone tell me what Obama has done, without a senior democrat in tow, to merit being Senator, much less president?

He won an election. Last time I checked that was the only prereq for being a Senator or President, besides the age requirements. I think this man is just short of being the anti-Christ, but he is electable.

....because....?

I don't like his positions on gun control. I don't care for his approaches to the minimum wage. I don't like the way he wants to write a blank check to welfare recipients. I don't get welfare, others shouldn't either. I love to hear him speak. Hell, I liked to hear President Clinton speak. A speaker doesn't make a leader.

I'm a moderate and Guliani is still to liberal for me.

hhhmmmm. Interesting take. I don't know enough about you to comment on your politics, but to me (and this is only IMO by the way, and until I have in-depth discussion with you on politics, I still won't know how you truly feel on any give subject) anybody who thinks Rudi is liberal is not a moderate. I see Rudi as moderate...:dunno:

He won an election. Last time I checked that was the only prereq for being a Senator or President, besides the age requirements. I think this man is just short of being the anti-Christ, but he is electable.

Yep that's about all he's done...other than his speech at the Democrat convention which gave him national exposure, plus 8 years as an Illinois State Senator, and before that a civil rights lawyer in Chicago. I believe he's also written a couple books. He (as well as his wife) did graduate from Harvard Law School so obviously he's got a few brains, and he is...to use a Tom Cruise adjective.....glib.

However, Obama is nothing but another disgusting Liberal - just wrapped up in a shiny new package. He has a 100% ADA voting record. 'Obamamania' is just largely the result of media power and hype.

http://www.adaction.org/votingrecords.htm

Well... that and for the presidency citizenship and the age requirement ;)

"anti-Christ" is pretty strong language. I'm wondering first, what would make you feel so strongly about him one way or the other at this point? And second, why something as horrific as "anti-Christ"?

I don't think he's the 'anti-Christ' or 'the Savior'. He's just a very handsome, young, black guy, who may very well be in the right place at the right time, form himself, not for the country.

Here's what I wrote to a friend:

Obama ran for state district rep from Chicago, lost. Ran again, won-2 years. Didn't really do anything, but criticize others. Ran for Senate, won-because IL GOP sucks. Now here we are, he hasn't been in office 2 years yet, of 6 year term-hasn't accomplished squat, other than speech at Dem. Convention and travel to Africa and give speeches. His name is on a 'porkbuster bill', listed 2nd-from a party that sees him as the Great Black Hope. Now he's 'pondering' running for President. :fifty:​

I see nothing 'terrible' or 'great' from him. He's inexperienced, which is NOT a good quality in any president, but especially in a time of war. All I can say is that I hope America's luck keeps holding out.

The Muslim factor. And just another Big Machine Democrat.

I think's he's not the anti-Christ but is unelectable. He's a lightweight:

1. S.CON.RES.42 : A concurrent resolution recognizing the historical significance of the Juneteenth Independence Day, and expressing the sense of Congress that history should be regarded as a means for understanding the past and solving the challenges of the future.

2. S.CON.RES.53 : A concurrent resolution expressing the sense of Congress that any effort to impose photo identification requirements for voting should be rejected.

3. S.RES.291 : A resolution to congratulate the Chicago White Sox on winning the 2005 World Series Championship.

4. S.RES.516 : A resolution recognizing the historical significance of Juneteenth Independence Day and expressing the sense of the Senate that history should be regarded as a means for understanding the past and solving the challenges of the future.

5. S.RES.529 : A resolution designating July 13, 2006, as "National Summer Learning Day".

The only bills he's sponsored so far in his Senate career. Four of five, fluff, the other to prevent his worst nightmare. He would have never been elected to the Senate in the first place if there'd been a law requiring photo voter ID in Illinois.

Forum List

Back