Obama and the Present Vote

Discussion in 'Congress' started by bigdaddygtr, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Silence

Silence wanna lick?

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +457
    I keep seeing reference to the 130 present votes cast by Barack Obama during his 8 years in the IL State Senate and while I addressed this in another thread IMO it deserves it's own thread so that people can get a full grasp of what Mr. Obama actually did while in the IL State Senate.

Now on it's face it might seem voting present 130 times is a horrible voting record, until you realize it's 130 out of probably thousands of votes. Then the number doesn't seem quite so big.

On it's face voting present might seem like a shirking of responsibility or an avoidance of a tough vote, until you do some research and learn that in the IL State Senate, unlike most states, the "present vote" is used for strategic purpose.

I know it's not in most people's nature to actually RESEARCH something before continually repeating it but by doing so you avoid looking like a complete idiot:

Illinois Senate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/16/opinion/16mikva.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Some have said that these 130 present votes shows that Barack Obama didn't take a leadership role while in the IL State Senate. His record would indicate otherwise:

The New York Times > U.S. > Image > Obama’s Record in the Illinois Senate

While in the IL State Senate Barack Obama sponsored 823 Bills:

233 on healthcare and public health
    125 on poverty and public assistance
    122 on crime, corrections and the death penalty
    97 on economy, business and finance
    62 on education
    60 on civil and human rights
    35 on infrastructure and public works
    21 on ethics
    21 on adminstration
    20 on environment
    15 on gun control
    15 on symbolic resolutions and memorial acts
    6 on military and veterans affairs
    1 on immigration

Now I don't believe these FACTS will get in the way of the Cons continuing to spin this issue but it certainly makes it more obvious that they are indeed SPINNING.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. bigdaddygtr

bigdaddygtr Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Wow, research and facts instead of listening to the same Republican BS spin

3. Jon

Jon The CPA

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,281
    Sponsoring bills is nothing. When he writes one, I'll be impressed.

The Present vote is just one of the many problems I have with the Chicago political machine. It's a way to vote "no" without voting no, thus not pissing off either side. That's Obama's specialty, just as he won't take a stance on abortion, he wouldn't take a stance on 130 issues in the state legislature either.

4. del

del BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,885
    I answered 800+ emails last month. Sponsoring a bill takes less effort than answering an email. How many bills did he write and get passed into law?

5. Silence

Silence wanna lick?

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +457
    I love how the facts are presented and you all still shit all over it.

it's pathetic.

You accept the lies of the Repubs but disregard the truth about Obama... it's amazing.

where are people like you from?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. SwingVoter

SwingVoter VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +129
    I don't agree with everything you're saying, but your post was exceptionally well researched

7. Article 15

Article 15 Dr. House slayer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,859
  8. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    Yeah.. taking any sort of back seat as an executive is what I'm looking for in a leader... those really tough decisions can just wait, I guess... :rolleyes:

Seriously... it IS a big deal... especially when combined with his lack of experience, the fact that when he was elected to the Senate, he almost immediately started running for president, and the fact that his ideals align more with the communist manifesto than the US constitution....

As for sponsorship... ooooohhh... a name association... his hand has been nowhere near the creation and formation of any important piece of legislation at the state level, let alone the federal level

9. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    Voting present is a way to vote *no* without having to *vote* no, if someone in the Illinois State Senate makes the decision to vote present, then they are doing so knowing that hey will not be held accountable for their own vote Silence thats the point.

You and I can go back and forth on numbers all day long if you wish , but I happen to notice that you neglected to mention Barack Obama's problem with changing his vote on several occasions because of the button issue , or he meant to vote this way and forgot and voted the other way. I can also put up several examples of this if you like? but you have seen them countless times I'm sure and won't do so because it's in another thread. I will say this though to take raw numbers and say he voted x times for health care means simply nothing if you don't know what he was voting on? Remeber the bill i cited earlier about his stand against the death penalty for gang members? If a person were to see that in raw numbers they would not get a full appreciation of the lack of judgement Barack Obama posseses. I am not disputing the fact he was a state Senator from 1997 to 2004 and no doubt voted on countless bills. However, his record as a State Senator is not as stellar as the Democratic party leads people to believe.
    Obama Record May Be Gold Mine For Critics, Eight Years As State Senator Were Full Of Controversial Votes, Including Abortion And Gun Control - CBS News

These are not just talking points Silence from some die hard republican, the man voted the way he voted, thats a fact.

10. glockmail

glockmail BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +438
    What is a typical number of co-sponsors in the IL legislature?