Oak Island - New Season

iceberg

Diamond Member
May 15, 2017

looking like they go very high tech and just excavate the entire area vs. dig a hole. gonna be good!

OldLady - i know you're following this too.

looking like they go very high tech and just excavate the entire area vs. dig a hole. gonna be good!

/---/ The whole thing sounds fishy. I bet they make more money with the reality show than any gold they find.

/---/ The whole thing sounds fishy. I bet they make more money with the reality show than any gold they find.

dunno and don't really care honestly. i've been intrigued by oak island for decades and am fascinated by what they are doing.

I have been hoping they would try doing more archeological type digs. The Money Pit area has been so excavated and moved around that it's a total loss, but there are other parts of the island, like around the swamp and some of the unusual rock carvings, etc., that might yield some information on what actually happened there.
I've always liked to think that when Henry St. Clair came there (like I said, I like to think...) with his monk companions, that the monks set up shop on the island. It would explain a lot of the religious symbols and findings. But that could also be the site of later Mason meetings during the 17 and 1800's. Who knows. Or something totally different. But I don't think they're going to discover the island's story using a steam shovel.

Why didn't they run out of money? Diver John Chatterton who went down the shaft in blind muddy water in an extremely technical dive is the most interesting character in the series. Chatterton and an amateur diving club discovered and dived on a WW2 German submarine that nobody knew about off the coast of New Jersey. The book is called "Shadow Divers" and is well worth the read.

so far the new season is still kinda slow, but i have hope that they will find something more than "clues" before it's all over with.

OldLady - are you watching?

finding the tip of the roman spear from 100BC to 500AD is pretty huge to me. but whether or not it was left there by a roman during that time period or brought over as part of an antique treasure (even in the 15th century this could have been 1000 years old!) is hard to determine.

more digging and more "wood" being found. i think when the dam in the cove is put up and we do some excavation of the pit area itself (not just digging holes) we'll find out a lot more.

so far the new season is still kinda slow, but i have hope that they will find something more than "clues" before it's all over with.

finding the tip of the roman spear from 100BC to 500AD is pretty huge to me. but whether or not it was left there by a roman during that time period or brought over as part of an antique treasure (even in the 15th century this could have been 1000 years old!) is hard to determine.

more digging and more "wood" being found. i think when the dam in the cove is put up and we do some excavation of the pit area itself (not just digging holes) we'll find out a lot more.
Dang--I've missed the last couple weeks. Tip of a Roman spear, huh? Sounds like one of those religious relics that were so super popular back in the middle ages. (The Church loved to sell "The Spear That Stabbed Christ on The Cross"--lots of them) Every thing they've found so far except the ruby brooch has had religious indications. I wonder more and more if a group of missionaries or a Masonic Lodge used the island.

Where did they find the spear?

Dang--I've missed the last couple weeks. Tip of a Roman spear, huh? Sounds like one of those religious relics that were so super popular back in the middle ages. (The Church loved to sell "The Spear That Stabbed Christ on The Cross"--lots of them) Every thing they've found so far except the ruby brooch has had religious indications. I wonder more and more if a group of missionaries or a Masonic Lodge used the island.

Where did they find the spear?
never put the spear into a religious light - interesting.

i think it's lot 26 where they're doing most of the metal detecting. they found it, dug it up and at first thought it was a crossbow bolt but to me it didn't seem "thick" enough. in the next show (last week) they ran it by a medieval weapons expert who showed a picture/drawing of romans with long spears that at the end had like a 1' metal rod with a pointed tip designed to break off into the victim. this looks like something that was "broken off" and bent towards the end connected to the actual spear.

2f11216150c572c186d3f03cb5d6fd38.jpg

They must have spent literally millions on bore holes but the only thing that seems to be keeping the series going is the Brit with the hand held metal detector. (They couldn't find an American)?

They must have spent literally millions on bore holes but the only thing that seems to be keeping the series going is the Brit with the hand held metal detector. (They couldn't find an American)?
heh - they went with an expert. not only can he find a dime in a mile of sawdust, but he's got some great "words" to use when he does! :)

heh - they went with an expert. not only can he find a dime in a mile of sawdust, but he's got some great "words" to use when he does! :)
Is that right?

I imagine they are making enough money off the series to keep them going...anyhow it is an intriguing mystery.

Why would someone go to all the trouble of designing something like that if there was no hidden treasure. I doubt it will ever be found....probably washed out to sea due to all the drilling operations.

I think there very well could be a link to the Knights Templar group based on some of the artifacts they have found. They need more guys with metal detectors....digging holes is not getting them anywhere.

They probably haven't actually scientifically dated the spear tip yet, have they? Just mentioned the years of the Roman Empire when it was in use?

I imagine they are making enough money off the series to keep them going...anyhow it is an intriguing mystery.

Why would someone go to all the trouble of designing something like that if there was no hidden treasure. I doubt it will ever be found....probably washed out to sea due to all the drilling operations.

I think there very well could be a link to the Knights Templar group based on some of the artifacts they have found. They need more guys with metal detectors....digging holes is not getting them anywhere.
Why would anyone go through all the trouble to dig up an island to find s couple of buttons?

Why would anyone go through all the trouble to dig up an island to find s couple of buttons?
Digging holes for a couple of rose bushes in my front yard, at about 20 inches I came to charred wood and broken glass. My mother told me that there had been a store on the property in the early 1800's that burned. I have often wondered if I kept digging around if I would find colonial coins, other cool stuff. I never have dug up my front yard, though.

They probably haven't actually scientifically dated the spear tip yet, have they? Just mentioned the years of the Roman Empire when it was in use?
Pretty much. They sent it to a weapons expert who said nothing was like that in medieval times and he had to go back to 100AD to 500BC and roman spears where this would have been the tip of it. Like you say though, that doesn't mean Romans were there at say 50BC catching some rays, it could well mean it was part of a treasure that got lost along the way as well in say 1450, 1400 years later.

last night was kinda a yawner where they built the research center. i am so glad they're honoring the lady that passed away and her research. but that was all the show was pretty much about.

Digging holes for a couple of rose bushes in my front yard, at about 20 inches I came to charred wood and broken glass. My mother told me that there had been a store on the property in the early 1800's that burned. I have often wondered if I kept digging around if I would find colonial coins, other cool stuff. I never have dug up my front yard, though.
you ever just get a metal detector out and look around? it should be able to go around that deep. wow - i just looked and to go to that depth you need a pro version and they run $2500. maybe see if someone rents them. but the consumer ones i know i could afford simply won't go that deep. more like 6" give or take.

Probably some good stuff

If you know someone with a metal detector he could probably mark spots to dig

you ever just get a metal detector out and look around? it should be able to go around that deep. wow - i just looked and to go to that depth you need a pro version and they run $2500. maybe see if someone rents them. but the consumer ones i know i could afford simply won't go that deep. more like 6" give or take.
I've thought about renting one--not real seriously though. My yard might not be much, but it would be a damned sight worse if it were full of holes. And I can't really tell where the foundations were. My mom said during a really dry summer, you would see where the outline of the old building was, but I could never make it out. Further forward than our house, is all I know. It might explain the enormous boulder that is built into the front corner of our cellar, though. I have no idea why you would choose to put your house in a place where you would have to make extra work for yourself in one corner. There was plenty of room to move it back twenty feet or whatever. Strange. My guess is it had something to do with the original building, but I have no idea what.

I've thought about renting one--not real seriously though. My yard might not be much, but it would be a damned sight worse if it were full of holes. And I can't really tell where the foundations were. My mom said during a really dry summer, you would see where the outline of the old building was, but I could never make it out. Further forward than our house, is all I know. It might explain the enormous boulder that is built into the front corner of our cellar, though. I have no idea why you would choose to put your house in a place where you would have to make extra work for yourself in one corner. There was plenty of room to move it back twenty feet or whatever. Strange. My guess is it had something to do with the original building, but I have no idea what.
sounds a lot more interesting than my house. 20 years ago i had it built in an up and coming neighborhood and i'm pretty sure i'm just on top of old trees and so forth. if renting the detector wasn't too bad for a day it could be fun just to scan things over and see if anything even sets it off. it should also be able to tell you how deep it is to see if you want to mess with digging it up.

Forum List

Back