Nuke the oil well

Discussion in 'Conspiracy Theories' started by bucs90, May 31, 2010.

1. bucs90

bucs90 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,210
    Just a thought.....and left wing environmental nuts go "ear-muffs" for a moment, you won't approve.

Why not nuke the damn hole? I'm not a weapons expert, but wouldn't a nuke, right down the pipe, a mile deep far out into the ocean, do the trick? Any oil in there would be burned up, the rock around it would collapse and melt together probably. Nothing else is working, why not just nuke the damn thing? Sure, some fish would die. Seriously. Send a NAVY sub in. Drop a nuke right on top of the damn hole, blow the shit up, hole is sealed, Obama can take full credit.

2. hortysir

hortysir In Memorial of 47

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,296
    I like the idea, honestly......just a little suitcase nuke.
    I thought I read someone else suggest it about a week ago.

I'd rather nuke it now than have a hurricane give me a tarball shower this summer :lol:

3. bucs90

bucs90 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,210
    My idea got moved to "humor", I don't know why, it was serious. Nuke the thing. Vaporize the oil and what rock is left will be molten and collapse around the well. It's very deep, and far offshore. Seriously. Do we have many options left?

Our current track leads to AUGUST at the earliest, if then. What if that fails? And the next idea? What if a NAVY admiral comes out in November, with oil still flowing, and says "Back in May we could've nuked the hole and sealed it permanently, but that wasn't politically attractive to anyone."

Anyone have any other ideas? It appears BP and Obama are fresh out of them.

4. kyzr

kyzr Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +629
    The nuke thing won't work. It belongs in humor. It wouldn't stop the oil, and it would create a massive tsunami. The Katrina storm surge was only 33' and nearly wiped-out NO. Keep thinking, but think your ideas thru before submitting. Some ideas are what they call "half-baked". There is no "bad idea", because it could lead to a better one, but that nuke one was close.

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  5. bucs90

bucs90 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,210
    Just a thought. Surely it would burn up a lot of the oil. And I'll admit this with some blushing.......got the idea from watching the Travolta movie Broken Arrow, where the nuke blast in an old mine basically melts all the surrounding rock? Thought to myself "Oil couldn't shoot out of that mine shaft now, why not try it?"

As for the tsunami, I don't know. We've tested nukes underwater before, but far out in the Pacific I believe. The blast would be very centralized, so I don't know that it would move enough water to make a tsunami, but I'm no scientist, so who knows.

It would just be a shame if this thing is still shooting out oil in November and no one can plug it. It appears that we can't do anything like a cap, something about too much upward force with the oil and the ice, combined to make it nearly impossible. I think we are getting from the capping ideas to more drastic stuff, like weapons and destruction of the surrounding area.

6. The Infidel

The Infidel EVIL CONSERVATIVE

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,173
    besides the whole tsunami thing..... what if it just made the oil leak 10,000 times worse :eek:

Dont like the idea one teeny bit.

Very humorous though
    :tongue:

7. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    A massive tsunami?

This, dears, is what we call "junk science". Kyzr has no idea what the fuck he's talking about and is basing his (or her) opinion on 1968 National Geographic specials.

8. Rat in the Hat

Rat in the Hat Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,215
    Sure, the nuke could melt & seal the hole. Or it could widen it considerably. Imagine the destruction if it widened the hole by a factor of ten. The entire Gulf could become a dead zone.

I think running the proper simulations alone would take longer than drilling the relief wells. But they should run them, and this idea should be held in reserve until the reliefs are completed.

The nuke could be a last, desperate "Hail Mary" scenario if they fail.

9. Zander

Zander Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,866
    Very interesting
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpPNQoTlacU]YouTube - An Atomic Bomb will stop the Gulf Oil Leak L@@K![/ame]

10. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36,898
    So far, Obama has been a miserable failure in plugging the hole. He's been in charge since Day One and Oil continues to vent from the ocean floor turning the entire Gulf region into a chocolate shoreline.

Every effort has failed.

The Russians insist that the only way to stop the leak is by detonating a nuke over it and fusing the hole shut.

But will Obama nuke the spill or is it time to go golfing?

I turn to the combined wisdom of the posters on USMB (and the Libs) for an answer