Nothing is More Important This Week Than Memorial Day

'
Nonsense! Nothing could be more political than the glorification of militarism!

I shall not contribute further to this silly thread -- I have expressed my opinion, as have you.

But remember: I am not the only person who feels this way -- though our views are never expressed in the captive, oligarchic US media. However, someday we will be the "silent majority" -- if not, then the USA is doomed.
I have plenty to say about America's military role in the world. And I have already said it 200 times in other threads, where they are apporopriate. You won't continue to troll & pollute this thread. Good. I'm holding you to that.

In case there are any posters who live in the Tampa Bay area, here is a brief list of some activities going on next weekend for Memorial Day.
If others have knowledge of ones in their area, they could post them too.

Oldsmar Freedom Fest
The festival features live music by area bands, food and craft vendors, children's activities and a Memorial Day ceremony. Free. Oldsmar State Street Festival Zone, State Street E and Fairfield Street, Oldsmar. (813) 855-4233. 5-11 p.m. Friday, noon-11 p.m. Saturday, noon-10 p.m. Sunday, May 29.

Tampa Bay Rays
Sunday, celebrate Memorial Day Weekend with a pre-game Salute to Veterans. Children ages 14 and younger get a free camo T-shirt. For more information, and to purchase tickets, visit raysbaseball.com/specialevents. Ticket prices vary by game. Tropicana Field, 1 Tropicana Drive, St. Petersburg. Toll-free 1-888-326-7297. Noon Sunday May 29.

Commerate Sacrifice
Under the direction of Stephen P. Brown, the Dunedin Concert Band presents a musical salute to Memorial Day, and acknowledges the significance of President Lincoln's assassination occurring so close to the date of the holiday. Free. Pioneer Park, Main Street and Douglas Avenue, Dunedin. (727) 812-4530. 3 p.m. Sunday, May 29.

High Point Community Memorial Day Tribute
There will be a flag-raising ceremony, followed by a program in the center with free coffee, cookies and cake, provided by the High Point Community Property Owners. Free. High Point Community Center, 12249 Club House Road, High Point. (352) 596-2397. 10 a.m. Monday, May 30.

Bay Pines VA Memorial Day Ceremony
Fox 13 Anchor Kelly Ring serves as Emcee over the event with featured speakers including U.S. Rep. David Jolly, representatives from the VA, musical performances, firing salute and taps performance. Shuttle service provided from parking lot to cemetery. Sign-language interpreter for hearing impaired. Free. C.W. Bill Young VA Medical Center and National Cemetery at Bay Pines, 10,000 Bay Pines Blvd., St. Petersburg. (727) 319-6479. 10 a.m. Monday, May 30.

Memorial Day Military Appreciation
Military members and up to three dependents are entitled to free admission to the zoo with a Department of Defense photo I.D. $24.95, $22.95 seniors, $19.95 ages 3-11, 2 and younger free. Lowry Park Zoo, 1101 W Sligh Ave., Tampa. (813) 935-8552. 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday. May 30.

Memorial Day Sunset Ceremony
Honor those who have lost their lives fighting for our country at this ceremony with a color guard performance, music, a keynote speaker and wreath presentation. Free. Largo Central Park, 101 Central Park Drive, Largo. (727) 587-6740. 7 p.m. Monday, May 30.

Memorial Day at Great Explorations
Active duty personnel get in free and children can participate in patriotic themed games and crafts. $10, $9 seniors, one and younger free. Great Explorations Children's Museum, 1925 Fourth St. N, St. Petersburg. (727) 821-8992. 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday, May 30.

War Memorial Dedication
In honor of Memorial Day and fallen military service members, this ceremony dedicates a monument honoring Pinellas County military service members who died during the Gulf War Era. Free. War Veterans Memorial Park, 9600 Bay Pines Blvd., St. Petersburg. (727) 453-3065. noon Monday, May 30.

We Are A Blue Star Museum
Military personnel, including the National Guard and Reserve and their families, get free admission to the museum from Memorial Day through Labor Day. Military I.D. required. $25, $20 seniors, $10 students. Free admission Mondays to art museum only. Ringling Museum of Art, 5401 Bay Shore Road, Sarasota. (941) 359-5700. 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Wednesday.

Memorial Day Ceremony
The public is invited to join members of the Korean War Veterans Association Suncoast Chapter 14 and city officials to honor the lives and memories of those who have defended America. Free. Freedom Lake Park, 7770 52nd St., Pinellas Park. (727) 541-0895. 11 a.m. Monday, May 30.

Memorial Day Ceremony
This salute to Memorial Day includes patriotic songs, keynote speech, POW/MIA Missing Man Remembrance Celebration, wreath presentation, rifle salute and taps. Free. Veterans Memorial Park, 3602 U.S. 301 N, Tampa. (813) 744-5502. 11 a.m. Sunday.. May 29.

Do you remember what you were doing 2 weeks ago ? A very short time ago. While we were doing what we were doing then, these guys were dying for their country.

charleshkeating.png
NavySpecial Warfare Operator 1st Class Charles H. Keating IV, 31, of San Diego, California,..... Died May 3, 2016, in Tal Usquf, Iraq, of combat related causes. He was assigned to a West Coast-based Navy SEAL Team.

davidbauders.png
Army1st Lt. David A. Bauders, of Seattle, Wash....... Died May 6, 2016, on Al Asad Air Base, Iraq, in a non-combat related incident. Bauders was assigned to 176th Engineer Company, Snohomish, Wash.

And just 2 months ago:

LouisFCardin.png
Marine Staff Sgt. Louis F. Cardin, a 27-year-old field artilleryman with Battalion Landing Team, 2nd Battalion, 6th Marines, was killed at about 9 a.m. Saturday, March 19, 2016, when Islamic State group militants launched a rocket attack on a coalition base in Makhmur. Eight other Marines were injured in the attack on the newly established base, which is roughly 60 miles outside of Mosul.
Cardin was deployed with the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit, which sent a detachment of Marines to Makhmur to guard the base. The Marines were supporting Operation Inherent Resolve, the U.S. military's campaign against ISIS.

Thank you.

However, honoring them does not mean we should bomb the ME into the Stone Age. Agreed?

However, honoring them does not mean that we deprive our citizens of their civil liberties without due process of law. Agreed?

What civil liberties are you talking about JakeAss?....And YES, Memorial day is one that NO AMERICAN should forget!
Tell jakeass to stfu!

'
I get so tired of the incessant, unthinking glorification of militarism in the present-day United States of Hysteria.

It is little different from the militarist ideology of the Nazi era -- and pretty diametrically opposed to the American way of thinking before the disaster of the Second World War.

I feel sorry for the unthinking grunts who have been the tools for the oligarchs who have wrecked so many countries and who have bled this country white to support obscene profits for the war industries, but I will never glorify them.

The reality of our soldiers sorry state is the way our rulers throw them away like used lemon peels after they come home -- the Veterans Agency stalls, denies, derides, and grudgingly treats the physical and mental wounds these pawns of the military oligarchy have suffered.

You guys can get maudlin about the vampirism of the American military, but count me out.
Then stfu you anti Amercan piece of shit.

That is the great thing about our military.

They serve to protect even the weak headed like AmericanFirst and protectionist.

Last edited:
Goddess Ashtrara thinks these heros sacrificing their lives to save her worthless ass, is funny. Is there a doctor in the house ? I mean really.

Goddess Ashtrara thinks these heros sacrificing their lives to save her worthless ass, is funny. Is there a doctor in the house ? I mean really.
Goddess_Ashtara is the epitome of those ungrateful, worthless, uneducated fools that think their freedom to say and do as they please comes without the cost of lives of the unselfish, dedicated soldiers who are willing to fight and die for those freedoms. Despicable, dishonorable scabs on the ass of humanity.

I wouldn't give two dead flies for a thousand clones of the bitch, Goddess_Ashtara.

Goddess_Ashtara is the epitome of those ungrateful, worthless, uneducated fools that think their freedom to say and do as they please comes without the cost of lives of the unselfish, dedicated soldiers who are willing to fight and die for those freedoms. Despicable, dishonorable scabs on the ass of humanity.

I wouldn't give two dead flies for a thousand clones of the bitch, Goddess_Ashtara.
You condemn yourself with same language. Behave now and honor our soldiers.

Our men and women in the military deserve nothing but respect, honor and praise. But I have to be honest, I find nothing more annoying than the people who find it necessary to post on Facebook (or any media outlet) that Memorial Day is not about cookouts and time at the beach, but rather a day to honor our military. YES, I get that. Seems like what these people are really trying to do is bring attention to themselves.

I have done so in this thread by applying the tag "Winner" to some great posts. I do so in a song I wrote which honors Barry Crosby, a hometown friend whose body was incinerated in a troop carrier while serving in Vietnam. I do so in my signature wherein I remind others to thank the guards. I appreciate and honor those who serve to protect us even to the level of local policemen and policewomen who put their lives on the line every day dealing will vermin who would see them dead.

Don't try to lecture me about honoring our troops.

I have done so in this thread by applying the tag "Winner" to some great posts. I do so in a song I wrote which honors Barry Crosby, a hometown friend whose body was incinerated in a troop carrier while serving in Vietnam. I do so in my signature wherein I remind others to thank the guards. I appreciate and honor those who serve to protect us even to the level of local policemen and policewomen who put their lives on the line every day dealing will vermin who would see them dead. Don't try to lecture me about honoring our troops.
I will always lecture and correct you when you politicize a good thread such as this. Now behave, and honor our troops.

Our men and women in the military deserve nothing but respect, honor and praise. But I have to be honest, I find nothing more annoying than the people who find it necessary to post on Facebook (or any media outlet) that Memorial Day is not about cookouts and time at the beach, but rather a day to honor our military. YES, I get that. Seems like what these people are really trying to do is bring attention to themselves.
I see not one shred of evidence to support that charge, and you're not showing any here either.

I have done so in this thread by applying the tag "Winner" to some great posts. I do so in a song I wrote which honors Barry Crosby, a hometown friend whose body was incinerated in a troop carrier while serving in Vietnam. I do so in my signature wherein I remind others to thank the guards. I appreciate and honor those who serve to protect us even to the level of local policemen and policewomen who put their lives on the line every day dealing will vermin who would see them dead. Don't try to lecture me about honoring our troops.
I will always lecture and correct you when you politicize a good thread such as this. Now behave, and honor our troops.
Politicize? I merely commented on the character of an asshole that was laughing at it. Go fuck a snake.

I see not one shred of evidence to support that charge, and you're not showing any here either.

I haven't shown any evidence that our men and women of the military deserve respect, honor and praise? I didn't realize any was needed.

I haven't shown any evidence that our men and women of the military deserve respect, honor and praise? I didn't realize any was needed.
Maybe you have reading comprehension problems. You charged that "what these people are really trying to do is bring attention to themselves" Zero evidence to support that. You got some ? Let's hear it,..... instead of tossing out an obvious, laughable DODGE.

Forum List

Back