Not Afraid

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/articles/PA_NEWA9602511120854095A0?source=PA Feed

:clap:

This is
LONDON
09/07/05 - News section

Blast driver vows to return to work

The driver of the No 30 bus destroyed in the London terrorist attacks has vowed he will return to work and not be cowed by terrorist evil.

George Psaradakis, 49, was at the wheel of the double decker when the device exploded shortly after 9.45am on Thursday at the junction of Woburn Square and Tavistock Place.

At least 13 people died when the blast tore through the back of the vehicle.

The driver desperately tried to help those mutilated by the bomb and told how "many terrible things" were coming back to him about what he saw.

Recalling his experience, he said: "My bus had been diverted because there were thousands of people coming out of the Tube. There were many people who were trying to get on the bus at once. Suddenly there was a bang, then carnage. Everything seemed to happen behind me."

Mr Psaradakis said his first thoughts were for passengers on the bus, saying: "I tried to help the poor people. There were many injured people and at first I thought, 'how am I alive when everyone is dying around me?'

"The police then had to take me away because they were concerned there might be further explosions."

Reflecting on his lucky escape, he said: "I am just relieved to be here and to be able to see my wife and children. Many other people have not been so fortunate.

Mr Psaradakis, who has worked for the bus company Stagecoach for nearly three years, said he needed some time to recover, but that he wanted to return to work.

"I am pleased that many people in London are still getting the bus, despite what has happened. Myself and the other drivers in London have an important job and we are going to continue to do that as best we can. We are going to continue our normal lives. We are not going to be intimidated."

Forum List

Back