Not Afraid.....Yet?

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by sagegirl, Jul 23, 2005.

1. sagegirl

sagegirl Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I was watching the news shortly after the first London bomb attacks and saw a report on a web site that had as its premise, I am not afraid.
    The site was experiencing alot of responses from people sending in pictures of themselves stating, "I'm not afraid" or basically that message.
    I guess the intent was to say to the terrorists that their tactics would not work and that we would carry on and live our lives as if everything was OK.
    I was surprised that the response to the first bombings was generally an attitude that first of all it was considered inevitable and secondly that it must not interfere with daily living....carry on so to speak.
    I dont think this attitude is quite as stoical now after the second bombing.
    I heard Londoners were riding to work on bicycles and were expressing fear.
    Some observations:
    First: I think fear is a natural and healthy response to a threat. It heightens our awareness and perhaps leads us to pursue relief.
    Second: It seems that the powers that be would prefer that we not be afraid. The media (and the I am not afraid, website) encourage us to carry on as normal ??? to travel, get out and participate in events which they tell us are being monitored carefully for security issues, etc. The media spills praise out for the individuals that defy the threat and get out in the thick of it claiming NO FEAR. It is important to maintain the status quo no matter what.
    Third: My hope is that we will finally come to realize that we really can do something to change this scenario. Our government and its leaders have created an atmosphere that terrorists feel the only method of getting through to us is by the acts of terrorist bombing and other disruptions to our
    carefree and oblivious routines. They will not stop and we cannot stop them
    unless we open a dialog that is beneficial for both sides. The time will come.
    How much longer we tolerate leaders who fail to really address these issues is up to us. We can be told that homeland security measures are working and that we should go on about our lives, but we are smart enough to know that it can and probably will happen again here, another terrorist attack, be it biological, or a bomb blast, and just the constant knowledge that the threat is ever present. Living our lives in FEAR. I think the best way to end this terrorism is to get to know the "enemy". The more we communicate with them and get to understand them the better chance we have of living in a world where we can all tolerate our differences and have some forum to express our grievances. What we have now isnt working....it is definitely time for change.

2. Gabriella84

Gabriella84 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Some decent points there. The U.S. government has been attempting to scare us since Sept. 11. They want us to live in fear of reprisal, since it allows them to waste money on expensive weaponry and gives them the opportunity to send unlimited numbers of soldiers to their deaths.

3. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    I was with you until this point, and I am somewhat sympathetic to even this, but from a pretty hardcore consersative perspective. I am NOT interested in holding hands with Muslim radicals and "getting to know" them. And anyone who reads my posts knows I have NO interest in "tolerating differences." I say bullshit to that.

But!

I am interested in more public discussion of what MOTIVATES them, which is U.S. support of Israel. Osama bin Laden said that was a main reason for 9/11, but we don't ever even TALK about this because it's taboo. I think that is wrong. Our country's interests should come first, and if the neocon Jews want Israel's to come first, we'll just have to ignore them.

4. sagegirl

sagegirl Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I do agree with your point....lets find out what motivates them....that is why I say get to know them, and let them get to know us. They are udoubtedly being fed as much bs as we are and coming to insane conclusions like us. We are suppose to believe that they hate us because we love freedom (according to gwb) and we hate them because they hate us. We are dying on both sides of this and other issues. Lets get the public discussion started and come up with some alternatives to todays oxymoronic "conventional wisdom".

5. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    At this point, I think it goes beyond that. Persoanlly, I think they want the permenant removal of everything remotely resembling anything non-muslim from their countries, including their own leaders.

6. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    BS conclusions, for example?

7. archangel

archangel Guest

Ratings:
    +0

Here we go again....get out the tie dyed t-shirts...throw flowers and sing cumbya' whilst the radicals nuke and behead us! :firing:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. HorhayAtAMD

HorhayAtAMD Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31
    That might make the US safer for a while, in the same way the US was safe in WWII... right up until December 7, 1941. Ignore the terrorists, give them time to setup infrastructure in muslim countries, let them develop nuclear and biological weapons, then let's see your reaction when those same terrorists you ignored in 2005 come to you in 2010 and say "everyone convert to islam now or we nuke you". You will find yourself fighting the exact same war you could have fought now except they will have nukes, you won't have any help from the former Israel (long since annihilated), and you'll have new fundamentalist governments in Iraq, Egypt, Turkey, Afghanistan, India, and Pakistan who will be supplying terrorists with everything they need.

You ask what motivates them? Listen to them, they tell you every day. Their only attempt to hide their message is by using your anti-semitism to trick you into thinking their goals have something to do with Israel and even at this, they don't try very hard. Listen to their messages and see if you can find any hint, even a tiny hint that they will stop once they have destroyed Israel. They are telling you every day what their eventual goal is: the destruction, through conversion or death, of every non-islamic person everywhere on earth (yes, including the US). I suspect you know this but you think that by isolating the US from the rest of the world, you can better protect yourself. In fact, all you do is let them fight their war against you on their terms. The war will be fought to its conclusion eventually. Do you want to do it when you are ready, or when they are ready?

9. Abbey Normal

Abbey Normal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +391
    A sample post from an Muslim message board:

"The Americans are kuffar. They will not negotiate with you; they are liars.

If you think they will retaliate, you are living in a fantasy world.

You can either fight now or later. But you will have to fight.

The only way the Americans will leave is if the entire region, all the Middle East is fighting them, and no other way.

It would behoove everybody to join in, Iran included, now."

10. -Cp

-Cp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +363
    :link: