Not a solution to gun violence, but could help at least in part if we...

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
The Oregon shooter reference gaining fame re: other shooting incidents. Gaining fame for himself seems to have been part of his motivation. So I propose passing legislation banning all mention of shooter's names during media coverage of these incidents. They already voluntarily avoid naming victims without their permission yet readily name the shooters. Let's take away the fame and notoriety of mass murder at least from media outlets. If going on a rampage doesn't get your name in the poublic sphere, at least not to the same extent, then maybe we can spare at least some people this fate.

If we can't get it via a law, then let's apply social pressure and threaten economic boycotts of media outlets who do name the shooters.

Interesting. This idea is sort of like how they don't point the camera at streakers at ballgames. Fewer people streak. That's nice, but streakers tend to be harmless nuts. People who kill others for fame are not harmless nuts.

Stifling reporting to the masses is a favorite strategy of control freaks. Punishing those who let information flow is fashionable with totalitarians too.

It seems to me that if this goes into effect the likely outcome is that crazy ******** who kill people will likely be motivated to kill the people who used to be the messenger.

The Oregon shooter reference gaining fame re: other shooting incidents. Gaining fame for himself seems to have been part of his motivation. So I propose passing legislation banning all mention of shooter's names during media coverage of these incidents. They already voluntarily avoid naming victims without their permission yet readily name the shooters. Let's take away the fame and notoriety of mass murder at least from media outlets. If going on a rampage doesn't get your name in the poublic sphere, at least not to the same extent, then maybe we can spare at least some people this fate.

If we can't get it via a law, then let's apply social pressure and threaten economic boycotts of media outlets who do name the shooters.

Problem is.

if it bleeds, it leads.

and is also the reason I have Netflix.

I can switch when the same point has been made one time too many

[...]

Stifling reporting to the masses is a favorite strategy of control freaks. Punishing those who let information flow is fashionable with totalitarians too.

[...]
My sincere compliments on your insight and intelligent assessment. The Sheriff's decision to keep the Oregon shooter's name to himself is an arrogant excess of his authority. Just who does this posturing yokel think he is? As if that psychopath's name will not ultimately find its way into the public domain where it rightfully belongs!

I want to know a lot more than his name. As an avid student of human behavior I want to know everything about him that is possible to know. But this obscure Podunk cypher with a badge has decided to deprive me and the rest of the world of that awareness. Worse, not a single member of the Press attending that conference challenged him. Not one!

Information is power. Even the least significant item of information enlarges its possessor. The authoritarian personality will always seek to withhold as much information from others as is possible to do -- (I know something you don't know!)

If this little nobody gets away with such arbitrary suppression it will set a dangerous precedent where officials at all levels stand in relation to the public they serve. This Sheriff does not have a right to conceal the shooter's identity.

Last edited:
[...]

[...]
My sincere compliments on your insight and intelligent assessment. The Sheriff's decision to keep the Oregon shooter's name to himself is an arrogant excess of his authority. Just who does this posturing yokel think he is? As if that psychopath's name will not ultimately find its way into the public domain where it rightfully belongs!

I want to know a lot more than his name. As an avid student of human behavior I want to know everything about him that is possible to know. But this obscure Podunk cypher with a badge has decided to deprive me and the rest of the world of that awareness. Worse, not a single member of the Press attending that conference challenged him. Not one!

Information is power. Even the least significant item of information enlarges its possessor. The authoritarian personality will always seek to withhold as much information from others as is possible to do -- (I know something you don't know!)

If this little nobody gets away with such arbitrary suppression it will set a dangerous precedent where officials at all levels stand in relation to the public they serve. This Sheriff does not have a right to conceal the shooter's identity.
No need to shift into your superior condensation. I merely made an observation. Or course you, avid student, know that. Your razzle dazzle BS is just as insipid as your avi mask.

No need to shift into your superior condensation. I merely made an observation. Or course you, avid student, know that. Your razzle dazzle BS is just as insipid as your avi mask.
You mean you don't agree with me agreeing with your unusually insightful observation?

"Superior condensation?" Thanks (I think). It's good to see my thoughts are understood and appreciated.

You mean you don't agree with me agreeing with your unusually insightful observation?

"Superior condensation?" Thanks (I think). It's good to see my thoughts are understood and appreciated.
Thanks. Sorry. I'm distracted today and shouldn't have responded at all. Your style annoys me and under ordinary circumstances I would not have told you that. Have a pleasant evening.

Forum List

Back