Nobody REALLY supports free speech

William Joyce

Chemotherapy for PC
Jan 23, 2004
Caucasiastan
Oh, sure. They all say they do. But the truth is that once speech gets "too free," they try to shut it down. If speech could lead to overthrow of the system, they censor it. Everyone who gets power does this. Speech that challenges the foundations of belief systems is not allowed. Only dissent within boundaries is allowed. Who sets the boundaries? Those with the power.

Originally posted by William Joyce
Oh, sure. They all say they do. But the truth is that once speech gets "too free," they try to shut it down. If speech could lead to overthrow of the system, they censor it. Everyone who gets power does this. Speech that challenges the foundations of belief systems is not allowed. Only dissent within boundaries is allowed. Who sets the boundaries? Those with the power.

Which is why Dubbyuh's administration is pushing for more control over internet traffic.

I am at a loss. What exactley is this administration preventing anybody from saying/typing/writing?

Speech in this country is as free as it has ever been. One need only watch T.V. for an hour or so to see this. Ten, even five years ago, pretty much all four letter words were taboo on T.V. Now the only one that gets bleeped these days is the F word. Plus whatever else they can get away with.

I don't know many people, including the administration who are against you spewing whatever garbage you choose to spew. They just hope people are smart enough to not listen to it.

Bern80....I may have miss understood but I dont think william was talking about the present admin...or were you???? care to clearify?

Call it a bold assumption based on previous experience. My guess is William would dually apply it to this admin. If my assumption is wrong however, the question is still valid. What has any U. S. gov't admin done to curb freedom of speech or resitrict it?

If there was no such thing as freedom of speech, then, given the spectrum of opinions on this board, someone would have been arrested or censored by now.

i always keep a tinhat near . it is easy to be all about free speech when you agree with the speaker...much harder when you dont...you have extreme from the wcb w/phelps and his crew to the nambla, homosexuals who want to lower the age of sexual consent.i do not care for the "free speech" zone, I am old enough to remember when the whole country was one.

I for one support your right to say what ever you want, not matter how stupid or wrong I may think it is.

But I am damn sure going to dispute it if I think it is BS.

I for one support your right to say what ever you want, not matter how stupid or wrong I may think it is.

But I am damn sure going to dispute it if I think it is BS.

LOL way to chime in dude, check out the date of my post a few up.....

sorry just thought was kinda funny.

If you want a truly FREE SPEECH on a board, try the CyberSoapBox.com.

Of course America has never had entirely free speech. We're probably freer than most nations, but absolute freedom of speech we do not have.

Publically threaten the POTUS, or call for the unlawful overthrow of the government and you'll quickly see where the lines are drawn.

I'm all about freedom of speech, but people must take responsibility of those words (ie, piss me off and you may get your ass kicked).

Then we don't vote in those who piss on the Constitution.

We have freedom of speech, as long as one is a member of a minority group or remains "politically correct" if not.:rolleyes:
Quiet! You'll get sued. The PC police anger easily.

If you want a truly FREE SPEECH on a board, try the CyberSoapBox.com.

Of course America has never had entirely free speech. We're probably freer than most nations, but absolute freedom of speech we do not have.

Publically threaten the POTUS, or call for the unlawful overthrow of the government and you'll quickly see where the lines are drawn.

Ok, well you can't yell "Fire" in a theater either. But, I think the point is if you try to do something that could cause physical injury with your speech that you shouldn't be allowed to do that. If I point a knife at your throat and say, "I'm going to cut your throat." I've committed assault and that speech is unlawful. If I point a knife at your throat and say, "Your lucky it isn't Wednesday or I would have cut your throat" I haven't committed assault and the speech is not unlawful. (at least at common law ymmv...lol). The distinction is that in the later example, I was, in essence, saying I was not going to cut you.

Also, you can call for the overthrow of the US government and nothing will happen to you. I thought that was the rule too and I called the FBI on some cretins so involved. But, the Special Agent I talked to said that they needed to be advocating the VIOLENT overthrow of the government. So it is fairly consistent. If physical violence is a logical outcome of the speech then it is restricted.

If we get rid of that rule, I'm getting my concealed carry permit for my Browing Hi-Power, because this will be a much more dangerous place to live.

Forum List

Back