No to mosque at Ground Zero Petition

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The future of America lies among the garden apartments of Queens.
By Maggie Samways

“It’s one of the most diverse places in the city, with more than 65 percent of the population made up of immigrants from all over the world,” says Jaime Weisberg, director of Queens Congregations United for Action, a faith-based community organization. “Walking down the streets, you see it in the clothing styles, languages spoken, restaurants and stores. Economically, this plays out in other ways, from the beautiful historic districts to the severe overcrowding conditions that many low-income residents experience.”

Photograph: Sophia WallaceThat wasn’t always the case. Built in the early 1900s by the Queensboro Corporation, the garden apartments that make up Jackson Heights were intended to be a self-contained upper- and middle-class urban alternative to suburbia. But when U.S. immigration laws changed in the 1960s, lots of new arrivals settled in the area. Now, of its roughly 175,000 residents, approximately 60 percent identify as Hispanic, 15 percent white, 10 percent black, and nearly 20 percent South and East Asian, according to a report by the Furman Center at NYU. Jackson Heights also has the city’s second-largest foreign-born population, behind neighboring Elmhurst.

It’s not just the broad ethnic mix that makes Jackson Heights stand above the rest. The nabe has long been home to a prominent gay community (as witnessed by the fabulous Queens Pride Parade, which sashays right up 37th Avenue). And the area’s affordability and status as a major subway hub put it within reach for a broad spectrum of both native New Yorkers and immigrants: people with deep pockets and those on a limited budget.

Photograph: Sophia Wallace“Jackson Heights is indicative of the future of the U.S., where whites are no longer the majority,” says Dalton Conley, sociology chair at NYU. “Also, people don’t realize this, but the area has the most diverse group of Hispanics, from all over Latin America.”

According to longtime resident Daniel Karatzas, author of Jackson Heights: A Garden in the City, the design of the neighborhood, with its European-modeled garden apartments and “city within a city” feel, makes it particularly appealing to new immigrants. “Nothing is perfect in our fair city, but thanks to the scale and the sense of place in Jackson Heights, newcomers have found it a pleasant place to call home.”

Number of languages spoken in Queens: 138

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RUNNERS-UP

Midtown South
Photograph: Sophia WallaceFort Greene/Clinton Hill
“I am partial to my own neighborhood. We celebrate our diversity, which includes residents who have a generational attachment to the community and ‘newbies’—students from Pratt Institute and St. Joseph’s College, and transplants from Manhattan and Long Island and Park Slope, among other local areas.”—John Dew, president of Community Board 2

Midtown South
“I would nominate my own neighborhood, Midtown South, Penn Station South or whatever you want to call it. It is incredibly diverse, given the multifaceted functions of the neighborhood: welfare hotels, upscale condos, ladies garment workers’ houses, the fur industry, all the commuters from Jersey, etc.”—Dalton Conley, sociology chair at NYU

Read more: New York’s Most Diverse Neighborhood - Time Out New York

New York’s Most Diverse Neighborhood - Time Out New York
Yeah, but you know, even with that impressive resume, it still just Queens after all. :eusa_whistle:

The back bone of the City. ;)
Not the armpit?

I was in Queens only once that I can remember. We went for Greek food. It was overcooked.

I was in Queens only once that I can remember. We went for Greek food. It was overcooked.

You are not ready for Queens yet grasshopper. You have much to grow and learn. That goes for Brooklyn too. Stick to baby food until you are older. ;)

You are not ready for Queens yet grasshopper. You have much to grow and learn. That goes for Brooklyn too. Stick to baby food until you are older. ;)
Oh, and they talk real funny in Queens.

nanny.jpg

nanny.jpg

The only thing you have shown is a compulsion to ridicule Greeks and Jews. There are what 191 or so Sovereign Nations left to target.
Yhis might help you on your quest.

List of sovereign states - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Think sharp now. ;)

Carrol Oconner was a member of our church way back. ;) That'll get you Catholics and the Irish with one attack. ;) Carroll O'Connor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

nanny.jpg

The only thing you have shown is a compulsion to ridicule Greeks and Jews. There are what 191 or so Sovereign Nations left to target.
Yhis might help you on your quest.

List of sovereign states - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Think sharp now. ;)

Carrol Oconner was a member of our church way back. ;) That'll get you Catholics and the Irish with one attack. ;) Carroll O'Connor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Is everyone in Queens so hypersensitive? :lol:

Are you trying to say that you believe all Muslims to be terrorists?

Does that mean that all Catholics rape young boys?

Should there be any Catholic churches ANYWHERE in the US?

Thank you. I agree a hundred percent. To continue to alienate Muslims and blame them all for 9/11 is a non-sequitor. They have a right to practice anywhere they want, just as Christians do. This is America, not some fascist nation.

Are you trying to say that you believe all Muslims to be terrorists?

Does that mean that all Catholics rape young boys?

Should there be any Catholic churches ANYWHERE in the US?

Thank you. I agree a hundred percent. To continue to alienate Muslims and blame them all for 9/11 is a non-sequitor. They have a right to practice anywhere they want, just as Christians do. This is America, not some fascist nation.

Yep, and Faithful Muslim's are just as much a target as us to the depraved. Isn't the free expression of ideas a great thing? So few and fewer places we can exercise these abilities every year, huh. What contributes to that???

nanny.jpg

I think we busted your grand plan! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You are part of the "Canadian Conspiracy" right??? ;):lol:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFBKV0zVXSE&feature=related]YouTube - Leonard Cohen - First We Take Manhattan[/ame]

LOWER MANHATTAN — Less than 72 hours before a large protest against the ground zero mosque, both the demonstrators and the police are making final plans.

The D-Day protest, which will likely draw hundreds of people, starts at noon on Sunday at the corner of Church and Liberty Streets, across from the World Trade Center site.

The NYPD’s 1st Precinct has called in extra officers from the Borough Manhattan South Patrol, and the NYPD is finalizing crowd control plans, a police official told DNAinfo.

“We’re absolutely aware of it,” the official said. “We’re working with the organization to make sure it goes smoothly.”

Stop Islamization of America, the group organizing the protest, objects to the planned 13-story mosque and community center, called Cordoba House, that is slated to rise on the site of the former Burlington Coat Factory building on Park Place.

“Ground zero is a war memorial, a burial ground,” Pamela Geller, executive director of SIOA, said in an e-mail to DNAinfo this week. “A mosque is incredibly insensitive.

SIOA originally planned to demonstrate in Zuccotti Park this Sunday. But Brookfield Properties, the owner of the plaza, revoked the permit when the nature of the event became clear.

Now, SIOA plans to protest at one corner of the plaza, on the public sidewalk. As long as they do not block the sidewalk or the street, or spill into the plaza, they do not need a permit.

The group does need a city permit for their sound amplification system, which should be approved by the end of the week, the NYPD official said.

More than 600 people have said on Facebook that they will attend the protest. Many of them are using SIOA’s website to arrange carpools from all over the northeast and beyond.

The protestors plan to carry American flags and sing “The Battle Hymn of the Republic” and “God Bless America.”

Geller will lead the demonstration with SIOA Associate Director Robert Spencer, and other speakers include Nonie Darwish, author of “Now They Call Me Infidel”; James Lafferty of the Virginia Anti-Shariah Task Force; and Anders Gravers of Stop Islamisation of Europe (SIOE).

NYPD and Mosque Protestors Prepare for Sunday Demonstration - DNAinfo.com

LOWER MANHATTAN — Less than 72 hours before a large protest against the ground zero mosque, both the demonstrators and the police are making final plans.

The D-Day protest, which will likely draw hundreds of people, starts at noon on Sunday at the corner of Church and Liberty Streets, across from the World Trade Center site.

The NYPD’s 1st Precinct has called in extra officers from the Borough Manhattan South Patrol, and the NYPD is finalizing crowd control plans, a police official told DNAinfo.

“We’re absolutely aware of it,” the official said. “We’re working with the organization to make sure it goes smoothly.”

Stop Islamization of America, the group organizing the protest, objects to the planned 13-story mosque and community center, called Cordoba House, that is slated to rise on the site of the former Burlington Coat Factory building on Park Place.

“Ground zero is a war memorial, a burial ground,” Pamela Geller, executive director of SIOA, said in an e-mail to DNAinfo this week. “A mosque is incredibly insensitive.

SIOA originally planned to demonstrate in Zuccotti Park this Sunday. But Brookfield Properties, the owner of the plaza, revoked the permit when the nature of the event became clear.

Now, SIOA plans to protest at one corner of the plaza, on the public sidewalk. As long as they do not block the sidewalk or the street, or spill into the plaza, they do not need a permit.

The group does need a city permit for their sound amplification system, which should be approved by the end of the week, the NYPD official said.

More than 600 people have said on Facebook that they will attend the protest. Many of them are using SIOA’s website to arrange carpools from all over the northeast and beyond.

The protestors plan to carry American flags and sing “The Battle Hymn of the Republic” and “God Bless America.”

Geller will lead the demonstration with SIOA Associate Director Robert Spencer, and other speakers include Nonie Darwish, author of “Now They Call Me Infidel”; James Lafferty of the Virginia Anti-Shariah Task Force; and Anders Gravers of Stop Islamisation of Europe (SIOE).

NYPD and Mosque Protestors Prepare for Sunday Demonstration - DNAinfo.com
Will Neubarth be in attendance?

I think I will wear a headscarf today in protest of these morons.

"Stop Islamization of America" :cuckoo:

If Catholics can build churches near their victims (ie young children) then Muslims should be able to build a memorial near the WTC site

Like I said.......I hope they do go put the thing up................

I want to see the footage when the hard core Irish and Italian Brooklynites burn the pos to the ground FTW!!! They lost lots of friends and family that day in Manhattan.........NOBODY ELSE........................and they are the only nationalities with the balls to be NYC firefighters or cops!!

The dumbest post of the day does not warrant a response but...

There are tens of thousands of wanna be terrorists. There are millions who support jihad. There are tens of millions who support sharia Law.

Name one Catholic who supports pedophilia.

This is not a church - it's a Mega Mosque with a political agenda. It may be benign, but I don't think the people of Lower Manhattan should have to "wait and see".

The dumbest post of the day does not warrant a response but...

There are tens of thousands of wanna be terrorists. There are millions who support jihad. There are tens of millions who support sharia Law.

Name one Catholic who supports pedophilia.

The Pope.

Forum List

Back