No sound

Mr. P

VIP Member
Aug 5, 2004
South of the Mason Dixon
I just replaced a laptop HD, and installed XP Pro.
I can’t get any sound. Everything checks out okay, drivers, devices, volume control etc.

Any ideas what the problem may be?

Mr. P said:
I just replaced a laptop HD, and installed XP Pro.
I can’t get any sound. Everything checks out okay, drivers, devices, volume control etc.

Any ideas what the problem may be?

Delete the sound drivers and allow them to reload. There is likely a .dll issue in shared access...

Mr. P said:
I have even reformated, re-installed xp, and still no sound..This is odd..:scratch:

Is it possible that you damaged the speaker wiring when replacing the HD?

Unplug your headphones man!

:teeth:

So the driver reload didn't work. Did you try it with headphones to see if the card is working at all?

If it works with the headphones, but not through the speaker there are several things that could be wrong.

1. Static...

If your card somehow got static on it sometimes the entire card, or just portions, will shut down until the static naturally is dispelled, this can take up to three days...

2. You haven't seated the card correctly (doubt that one, I think you are more competent than that).

3. The speaker itself is bad (sometimes things break, even at inopportune times.)

Does it appear as if it's playing sound, only you just don't hear it? Or are you getting any errors?

The obvious - make sure volume is up, that system isn't muted under volume options.

Go into hardware device manager, is anything listed with a yellow exclamation or red circles?

Can you list installed devices in there under sound options?

Are the drivers the default with XP install, or from manafacturer of laptop?

Everything checks as working..I plugged in an ext speaker to the headphone jack..It works..Some glitch in the internal speakers I guess. Still looking into it.

One way to isulate the problem would be to back your computer up. Use system restore.

I know it's a pain, but if the sounds works after you back it up, then you know there's a software problem with the new XP.

Mr. P said:
Everything checks as working..I plugged in an ext speaker to the headphone jack..It works..Some glitch in the internal speakers I guess. Still looking into it.

It's been a few days. Reseat the card and give it another go...

Forum List

Back