No-Kill Christmas: A Non-Partisan Idea

Silhouette

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2013
Well I don't need to quote the statistics on the millions of trees that unnecessarily meet their end this time of year. I highly doubt everyone makes it out on Arbor Day to plant a new one.

This problem had bothered me for years. I'm one of those evergreen addicts that has to have the smell of fresh fir or pine boughs that comes with a real, actual murdered sapling. Then one year in poverty, we decided instead just to trim a lower branch of a fir. Lo and behold it was beautiful. They still grow in the classic cone shape of a tree, but are pretty much 2-dimensional. This does well for cramped spaces because you can set this upright branch right up next to a wall and you don't have to trip over it or have it take up space where a chair or couch once was.

So, you can have your christmas tree and not kill. I hope this can become a new trend because we need all the trees we can get right about now. So if you haven't bought a tree, don't. Just trim one up in a forest near you. The benefit to a future logger would be clearer grain since when you delimb a tree down low on its skirt, this makes less knots. Win-win. :beer:

I agree, I loved the sweet fir smell as a kid and hated it when my parents went aluminum. I've done the same thing --rounded up a few branches and spread them on the mantle decorated in lights. :thup:

Trees are a renewable cash crop, for the people who cultivate and feed their families with the proceeds from them.

Even a vegan can't have a no-kill meal.

Wake up, people.

Oh lighten the fuck up before I clout you over the head with a mistletoe.

Trees are a renewable cash crop, for the people who cultivate and feed their families with the proceeds from them.

Wake up, people.

Me lighten up?

The OP is just plain goofy.

The vast majority of Christmas trees are cultivated to be Christmas trees. You might as well be trying to guilt people into not eating turkeys for Thanksgiving.

For the love of Mike! :banghead:

Wake up, people.

Me lighten up?

The OP is just plain goofy.

The vast majority of Christmas trees are cultivated to be Christmas trees. You might as well be trying to guilt people into not eating turkeys for Thanksgiving.

For the love of Mike! :banghead:

I'm givin' you one more chance. I can't hold this mistletoe over your head forever...

But seriously, politicizing Christmas trees? Really? Does it never get old for you people?

we have been using a plastic one since 1995 or 1996

Wake up, people.

We have tree nurseries around here and they seem full each year. Personally, I went with a fake tree a few years ago. Always swore I'd never do that, but hate the needles in the carpet and the expense each year. Plus my cats kept climbing them and chewing on the branches.

Obama still wants a Christmas tree tax so that might deter some people.

I love the smell of fresh trees and never felt guilty since the next year, another tree was grown in it's place.

I live in the Midwest and there are nothing but trees as far as the eye can see. No shortage here, folks. I know liberals like to think that the land is bare because of the mean old tree killers, but honestly that is far from the truth and always has been.

Jake's right. For some people there is no universal bliss that's beyond dragging into the political muck.

Seems to be getting worse lately too.

Forum List

Back