NO Hit Wonders

Oh there are TONS of great artists that have never reached #1... that was what I was saying in the One Hit Wonder thread... it's not a real good criteria or standard to use, imho. I think we all can say that Nirvana and The Kinks were not really NO Hit Wonders. Their songs were hits, just not #1. I think Bob Marley is a better example... his music was just not mainstream.

Oh there are TONS of great artists that have never reached #1... that was what I was saying in the One Hit Wonder thread... it's not a real good criteria or standard to use, imho. I think we all can say that Nirvana and The Kinks were not really NO Hit Wonders. Their songs were hits, just not #1. I think Bob Marley is a better example... his music was just not mainstream.

So they don't count then?

LOL... It's not really a contest or anything, just personal opinion. I don't personally think of Nirvana or The Kinks when I think of No Hit Wonders, but whatever cranks your tractor, babe! ;)

I've worked in music for a long time and it's really amazing how much talent is out there who never get discovered or make it big. Then you hear something like Miley Cyrus and wonder why is the music business so fucked up? Some talentless twat can get up there and shake her money-maker and moan sex noises and everyone goes crazy buying her record... but someone who is a song crafter with a gift is overlooked. It's totally insane, but that's the business.

LOL... It's not really a contest or anything, just personal opinion. I don't personally think of Nirvana or The Kinks when I think of No Hit Wonders, but whatever cranks your tractor, babe! ;)

I've worked in music for a long time and it's really amazing how much talent is out there who never get discovered or make it big. Then you hear something like Miley Cyrus and wonder why is the music business so fucked up? Some talentless twat can get up there and shake her money-maker and moan sex noises and everyone goes crazy buying her record... but someone who is a song crafter with a gift is overlooked. It's totally insane, but that's the business.

Lol. What they call talent and what I think of when I think of "talent" are two entirely different things. I like dance and club music, but I understand that those who produce it are not necessarily "talented" and definitely not the most talented. Justin Beiber? :lol:

Here's another one I like too... Tom Waits

The name sounds familiar, but I'm not familiar with the song. Is that him on the video? He doesn't look like he would sound like that. Lol.

Yes, that'd be him, he is a blues singer and songwriter. He has a sort of "cult following" and packs the house wherever he plays but no one has ever really heard of him... it's really weird.

I like dance and club music, but I understand that those who produce it are not necessarily "talented" and definitely not the most talented. Justin Beiber?

I get the whole "dance club" vibe but I think maybe I got totally burned out on it with disco in the late 70s, early 80s. It just all sounds the same to me now. I am more into songs that make you feel something or have some deeper meaning. I don't really care if you can dance to them.

Forum List

Back