No Americans want those jobs is a myth

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
Because certain industries have been overrun with illegals for so many decades the wages in those industries have been suppressed. Employers have had no incentive over the years to raise those wages precisely because they have an endless supply of fools from South of the border to work for those wages.

Americans would do those jobs but they can't compete with the asinine wages illegals are willing to work for. Businesses demand more green card workers because they know they can keep wages suppressed.

We DO NEED strict enforcement of laws concerning employment status to protect what should be American jobs. All the politicians that claim to care about the border yet do nothing to enforce existing hiring practices are just as much part of the problem as the ones who strive for open borders.

As an example is the price illegals will install hard surfaces for here in KC. My base price is 10.00 per square foot and us only lowered for large quantity jobs. The Mexicans around here do the same work for 3.00 per square foot.
How is any American expected to compete with that?

That's no different than the Chinese manufacturing goods for a fraction of the equivalent American made product.

How many Chinese goods have you bought lately?
9 out of 10 Stimulus dollars head DIRECTLY to CHINA.
No wonder the Democrats are eyeballing 20 trillion in Stimulus dollars over the next 4 years.

We have a systemic problem that may be beyond repair at this point.

• Banned
That's no different than the Chinese manufacturing goods for a fraction of the equivalent American made product.

No wonder the Democrats are eyeballing 20 trillion in Stimulus dollars over the next 4 years.

No doubt that is equally as devastating. I try to buy American when possible but as time goes by it gets harder and harder.

Because certain industries have been overrun with illegals for so many decades the wages in those industries have been suppressed. Employers have had no incentive over the years to raise those wages precisely because they have an endless supply of fools from South of the border to work for those wages.

Americans would do those jobs but they can't compete with the asinine wages illegals are willing to work for. Businesses demand more green card workers because they know they can keep wages suppressed.

We DO NEED strict enforcement of laws concerning employment status to protect what should be American jobs. All the politicians that claim to care about the border yet do nothing to enforce existing hiring practices are just as much part of the problem as the ones who strive for open borders.

As an example is the price illegals will install hard surfaces for here in KC. My base price is 10.00 per square foot and us only lowered for large quantity jobs. The Mexicans around here do the same work for 3.00 per square foot.

..and that is the crux of the matter as to why illegals have been (more or less) welcomed in to this country illegally by corporations. Best way in the world to keep wages down. Doesn't matter how it affects Americans - screw them, they are expendable.

Honest to God, it reminds me, in many ways of John Steinbeck's book "The Grapes of Wrath" and the fictional Joad Family. It's a damned shame but that's the way it is.

We achieved full employment before COVID. Who was going to work those jobs in early 2020 when everyone already had jobs?

Simply put, those jobs just wouldn’t exist and that would have an upstream effect.

Where I live the ag industry is large...in particular poultry....the companies have a had time keeping people...they offer very good wages for the area, and a signing bonus...well an incentative...$3K if you stay three months.

Often immigrates, I assume legal, from all over the world work there. It's not the best job, and hard work...but it's a job, and good pay for the area.

A lot of locals don't take the job, largely due to the fact they can't either pass a drug test, or get on Social Security due to having some sort of PTSD, or issues with standing....seriously, I met a 25 year old on it, because he had issues standing...granted he didnt have an issue standing in front of me...or walking around...

One of the major things we need to do is address entitlement programs, which are the leading drivers of our national debt...in particular SSI...

No doubt that is equally as devastating. I try to buy American when possible but as time goes by it gets harder and harder.

Indeed. It is nearly impossible to find products in America today that don't have that familiar stem pin the bottom - "Made in China".

• Banned

Indeed. It is nearly impossible to find products in America today that don't have that familiar stem pin the bottom - "Made in China".
Yup. I've been buying 501 Levi's forever because they were made here, now I don't even believe they are anymore. Supposedly they have one plant stateside now. I'm assuming that is just so they can make the claim? No way in hell one plant can make enough for the entire country.

Yup. I've been buying 501 Levi's forever because they were made here, now I don't even believe they are anymore. Supposedly they have one plant stateside now. I'm assuming that is just so they can make the claim? No way in hell one plant can make enough for the entire country.

Yep. My Grandmother, back in the early 60s, worked in what she called "the garment factory" - which was actually a (If I remember) a Jockey plant. Every Christmas, my Brother and I got a bunch of "seconds" for Christmas from her.....got a little tiring, but as I recall, we always had clean underwear :auiqs.jpg:

Yeah? How many non immigrants you ever see working fiields? How many you see cleaning hotel rooms? Immigrants do the jobs Americans won't.

Yeah? How many non immigrants you ever see working fiields? How many you see cleaning hotel rooms? Immigrants do the jobs Americans won't.

I would argue that this jobs you listed have been done by "immigrants" for nearly 65-70 years. Point? If the American economy went in to the tank (as in the "Grapes of Wrath") for example - Americans would READILY take those jobs and do them gladly. Hunger will get most people off their asses.

Take a gander at our present situation and remember that our economy cal go to hell in an instant these days............

Three bucks is pretty good.

To be fair, there are probably very FEW Americans who want to work in the fields picking fruits & vegetables.

To be fair, there are probably very FEW Americans who want to work in the fields picking fruits & vegetables.

Again, hunger makes people do things they would not normally do.

Where I live the ag industry is large...in particular poultry....the companies have a had time keeping people...they offer very good wages for the area, and a signing bonus...well an incentative...$3K if you stay three months.

Often immigrates, I assume legal, from all over the world work there. It's not the best job, and hard work...but it's a job, and good pay for the area.

A lot of locals don't take the job, largely due to the fact they can't either pass a drug test, or get on Social Security due to having some sort of PTSD, or issues with standing....seriously, I met a 25 year old on it, because he had issues standing...granted he didnt have an issue standing in front of me...or walking around...

One of the major things we need to do is address entitlement programs, which are the leading drivers of our national debt...in particular SSI...
My eldest son gets paid to sit on his ass, he's a truck driver.

I do it every season and have for fifty years and can the veggies freeze the berries.

My eldest son gets paid to sit on his ass, he's a truck driver.
Good for him, that's a tough job and not easy. It takes a lot of skill to drive safely, let alone drive a big truck safely...especially on long hauls

Folks can make good money at it too...good for him

Forum List

Back