Nihilism

Buddhists consider nihilism, one of four extreme views to be avoided. Non-buddhists frequently mistake teachings on "emptiness" for nihilism. Emptiness is not nothingness.

Last edited:
Buddhists consider nihilism, one of four extreme views to be avoided. Non-buddhists frequently mistake teachings on "emptiness" for nihilism. Emptiness is not nothingness.

Would you mind explaining this a little further?

Also, what are the other three extreme views? (Just out of curiosity)

By my own definition, I see happiness as being content with what you have.

It's a good thing that having things still makes you happy.

They don't necessarily have to be physical objects. It could be my personality or health or my appearance. Theoretically, according to my definition of happiness, I would still be happy if I lost any of these. Of course, I cannot guarantee that this will happen. :lol:

Well hopefully we can all fake ourselves out forever.

It's a good thing that having things still makes you happy.

They don't necessarily have to be physical objects. It could be my personality or health or my appearance. Theoretically, according to my definition of happiness, I would still be happy if I lost any of these. Of course, I cannot guarantee that this will happen. :lol:

Well hopefully we can all fake ourselves out forever.
?

I am skeptical that 'Nihilism' actually exists.
:lol:

It depends on what I am feeling. If the desire turns into disdain, then I would most certainly not.

Well it's the old "to be or not to be" question. I guess everyone has their limits as to how long the are willing feel something. Feeling disdain towards a meaningless existence--interesting.

It's a bit of a contradiction, isn't it? How can you really despise something that is meaningless? That's why I don't see it happening to me. I'm a relatively happy person.

I guess one would despise meaninglessness because it doesn't leave you with anything to do. Why bother ?

Would you mind explaining this a little further?

Also, what are the other three extreme views? (Just out of curiosity)

The subject of emptiness of inherent existence and absolute truth is a subtle one. I'm not sure I could do it justice. I'm qualified to listen to teaching on emptiness but not to teach it.

To state the four extremes most simply, they would be the extreme that all things exist and nothing exists, that things both exist and not exist and that things neither exist nor not exist.

I know it sounds like a riddle but that only because you can't resolve this without meditation and direct experience.

There are Buddhist texts, such as the Heart Sutra, aka the Prajnaparamita that explore this subject of emptiness in depth. Physics and Buddhist philosophy agree. If you take any object that appears solid and self existing and examine it closely you will see it consists of mostly empty space. But the empty space isn't static either.

Last edited:
Well it's the old "to be or not to be" question. I guess everyone has their limits as to how long the are willing feel something. Feeling disdain towards a meaningless existence--interesting.

It's a bit of a contradiction, isn't it? How can you really despise something that is meaningless? That's why I don't see it happening to me. I'm a relatively happy person.

I guess one would despise meaninglessness because it doesn't leave you with anything to do. Why bother ?

Here's where I think we both made an error (in the nihilistic perspective, that is). The idea that life is meaningless is more associated with the idea that objectivity cannot not exist (objectively). Therefore, how could meaning objectively exist (in a nihilistic perspective)? A nihilist would argue that meaning is entirely subjective and that people create and apply meaning according to their own perspectives (you know... "existence precedes essence").

Does that make any sense?

Last edited:
LOL! It's amusing when the kiddies don't even make it through the introduction before feeling the need to share how 'deep' they are!

LOL! It's amusing when the kiddies don't even make it through the introduction before feeling the need to share how 'deep' they are!

What makes you think I'm trying to make myself appear to be "deep?"

I'll do better. Here's some great advice you won't take: Shut the hell up for the next ten years, then come back to the topic. I promise you'll understand what I mean then.

I'll do better. Here's some great advice you won't take: Shut the hell up for the next ten years, then come back to the topic. I promise you'll understand what I mean then.

Newcomer arrives. Starts a thread about nihilism (a perplexing and contradictory philosophy) during the first month. Therefore, that must mean he is just wanting to appear to be deep... or maybe it's that the topic has been on his mind for a while now and wishes to discuss it... I don't understand how you could come to the conclusion of the former (since you won't provide me with an explanation), but I'm going to have to go with the latter seeing that that is my motive for making this thread in the first place.

I'm discussing nihilism in an attempt to understand it and see if it appeals to my line of reasoning. I was impulsive to label myself as one in the OP when I didn't (and still don't) fully understand it. This is one of the main reasons I created the thread (to challenge the philosophy and see if it does hold up to my line of reasoning). For me, understanding a philosophy (or really any concept) is best done when done in a debate (whether the debate is internal or external).

Last edited:
I didn't expect you were ready to take good advice. Ah well, I tried...

I didn't expect you were ready to take good advice. Ah well, I tried...

... to be condescending and contribute nothing to the discussion. I feel that you succeeded in that.

Just admit that your accusation was baseless and formed around impulse.

Fine, do it the hard way then...you'll understand what I mean eventually anyway...

Here's where I think we both made an error (in the nihilistic perspective, that is). The idea that life is meaningless is more associated with the idea that objectivity cannot not exist (objectively). Therefore, how could meaning objectively exist (in a nihilistic perspective)? A nihilist would argue that meaning is entirely subjective and that people create and apply meaning according to their own perspectives (you know... "existence precedes essence").

Sorta--Did you ever read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance ?

Sorta--Did you ever read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance ?

Yes, I love that book. It's one of the main reasons why I began to investigate nihilism (as well as Buddhism).

Forum List

Back