Nicaragua: Freedom of Speech & Press under Siege

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
HAVANA TIMES – On December 30th, the “Special Cybercrimes Law” came on the books in Nicaragua. The Sandinista majority in the National Assembly passed the law on October 27th. It now enters into effect, 60 days after being signed by the country’s president, Daniel Ortega.

According to the independent journalists’ association, this repressive law threatens press freedom and criminalizes investigative journalism. It also gives a green light to government surveillance of private communications.

Nicaragua’s independent press has dubbed the controversial law the “gag” or “muzzle” law. The Inter-American Commission for Human Rights, the European Parliament, and the US, among others, strongly criticize it.

Ortega maintains that the law is to strengthen and regulate protections for the State communications system. It sanctions those who access, intercept, or make use of informational systems without authorization. It also applies to those who appropriate programs or data; or intercept, capture or record images, conversations or videos not intended for the public.

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand I'm fed up as hell with the idiocy that we have to deal with over here. Additionally, the other countries that are hypercritical of this law are the exact same ones that would float propaganda.

shithole country --what do you expect?
Having no kind of communication not being monitored and analyzed 100 % in the West and having "investigative journalism" always targeting non-western governments looks pretty much like dictatorship if we apply the same standards.

..people think a lot of these countries are just like America/etc in terms of freedom/etc--but they are not

.....these countries have a history of corruption unlike the west.......coups, sometimes bloody, for political power....

.....these countries have a history of corruption unlike the west.......coups, sometimes bloody, for political power....
I would call bombing and invading countries for the MIC´s profit the worst and most gruesome form of corruption. Since they tell you its freedom bringing and you believe all the shit they say, you sleep asound.

I know the republicans in the House and Senate are trying to do a coup in the US. We can expect the same thing if they are successful.

Looking at a couple of other articles it seems this new law is basically if you say anything bad about our government we made it "legal" to lock you up, and while we are at it we can surveil your online activity, emails etc., legally. Long live the revolution!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sadly, Americans are in NO position to criticize other countries for lacking freedom of the press.

I would call bombing and invading countries for the MIC´s profit the worst and most gruesome form of corruption. Since they tell you its freedom bringing and you believe all the shit they say, you sleep asound.
hahahhahahahahhahahahahh-TOTAL bullshit post by you
for profit!!! hahhahahahah
not invading/etc---defensive purposes
we've been over this before---

Sure, defensive carriers, lol. 800 tower defense bases around the globe, lol.

we had every reason to go into Afghanistan and Iraq---

I´d ok Afghanistan but not Iraq. Not only was that a non-purpose war but also look at what it has caused. And they have kicked you out again.

I´d ok Afghanistan but not Iraq. Not only was that a non-purpose war but also look at what it has caused. And they have kicked you out again.
1. hitler started 1 war--saddam TWO
2. hitler invaded a tiny defenseless country--so did saddam
3. hitler gassed his own people --so did saddam
4. United Nations Security Council Resolution 678 - Wikipedia.
5. danger to our economy
our economy runs on oil--DUH!!!!!

MORE of a threat to the US than hitler/Germany was

1. hitler started 1 war--saddam TWO
2. hitler invaded a tiny defenseless country--so did saddam
3. hitler gassed his own people --so did saddam
4. United Nations Security Council Resolution 678 - Wikipedia.
5. danger to our economy
our economy runs on oil--DUH!!!!!

MORE of a threat to the US than hitler/Germany was
Neither Hitler nor Hussein were a threat to the US.

Forum List

Back