NFL National Anthem Controversy Summed Up

If exercising your rights under the Constitution cannot be tolerated, what good are those rights.

Nice try.
As the old saying goes...you have the right to do it, but that does not make it right to do so.

Every NFL player, as a citizen of this country, has the right to protest all manner of things they don't like.
And despite you, and many like you, trying to frame the argument into whether they have a right or not...that isn't what people are angry about. And no one, besides you guys, are trying to remove any rights.
They have aright to protest, and we have a right to not like it and CHOOSE not to watch them do it.
It is that simple.
You want to force people to watch it? - See how that works?

These players are among the most privileged people in America. They have been given more than they could possibly deserve, by simply playing a game. That is their only job. The American public is who gives them the $millions they make. They are stupid enough to make fake gestures and faux outrage by pulling stunts that the majority of people take issue with how they do it???
Then they must face the wrath of the very hand that feeds them.

If these spoiled children are so interested in unfair treatment of minorities, as they see it, then they can use some of those $millions to start non profit organizations to do something about it. These people can get cameras and microphones in front of them any day of the week. But no, instead, they choose to "protest" by refusing to respect the flag. Which will only create MORE DIVISION!!!!!!!!
And it has.

Nice try.

Whenever a discussion of the wealthy paying taxes comes up conservatives are "it's none of your business how much they pay in taxes". Citizen's United? Well corporations are wealthy people. But when it's something you don't like then wealth suddenly is fair game.

They are exercising their rights, don't like it turn the channel and watch wrestling on Fox. Just admit it, you want these people to shut up because it makes you uncomfortable because they are right about much of what they are saying. You just don't want to hear it. Turn the channel. I'd say turn the tv off and read a book but with conservatives I already know this is a non-starter.

Who is being forced to watch tv at all, let alone a particular show? Nobody. You choose to watch so you can get angry and have something to push against. It feels so good to have some righteous indignation about something eh. Whatever. Cons shouldn't even have anything to talk about here, you should have turned the channel the moment you saw someone kneeling. But you didn't.

You exercised your freedom of choice. Tada.
They are exercising their rights, don't like it turn the channel and watch wrestling on Fox.

that is what people are doing. D'OH!

Wait. I wanted to watch last year when it started. I watched patently during the pre-game. I wanted to see if any of my home team players were protesting. Just when it appeared the National Anthem was going to be sung, they broke for a commercial and didn't come back till the opening kick-off. I have cared less ever since.

If exercising your rights under the Constitution cannot be tolerated, what good are those rights.
I supposed it depends on many things, you can't yell bomb on a plane and you can't yell fire in a theater unless there is either. It isn't as simple as you choose to make it.

Red Herrings served cold do not a dinner make.
nope, completely viable. if the NFL comes out with a rule that says players will stand or....... then guess what? so, it isn't like that at all. Even owners could say it for their respective teams, how about the union contract? wow, dude, you don't understand life.

Nice try.
As the old saying goes...you have the right to do it, but that does not make it right to do so.

Every NFL player, as a citizen of this country, has the right to protest all manner of things they don't like.
And despite you, and many like you, trying to frame the argument into whether they have a right or not...that isn't what people are angry about. And no one, besides you guys, are trying to remove any rights.
They have aright to protest, and we have a right to not like it and CHOOSE not to watch them do it.
It is that simple.

These players are among the most privileged people in America. They have been given more than they could possibly deserve, by simply playing a game. That is their only job. The American public is who gives them the $millions they make. They are stupid enough to make fake gestures and faux outrage by pulling stunts that the majority of people take issue with how they do it???

If these spoiled children are so interested in unfair treatment of minorities, as they see it, then they can use some of those $millions to start non profit organizations to do something about it. These people can get cameras and microphones in front of them any day of the week. But no, instead, they choose to "protest" by refusing to respect the flag. Which will only create MORE DIVISION!!!!!!!!
And it has.

Nice try.

Whenever a discussion of the wealthy paying taxes comes up conservatives are "it's none of your business how much they pay in taxes". Citizen's United? Well corporations are wealthy people. But when it's something you don't like then wealth suddenly is fair game.

They are exercising their rights, don't like it turn the channel and watch wrestling on Fox. Just admit it, you want these people to shut up because it makes you uncomfortable because they are right about much of what they are saying. You just don't want to hear it. Turn the channel. I'd say turn the tv off and read a book but with conservatives I already know this is a non-starter.

Who is being forced to watch tv at all, let alone a particular show? Nobody. You choose to watch so you can get angry and have something to push against. It feels so good to have some righteous indignation about something eh. Whatever. Cons shouldn't even have anything to talk about here, you should have turned the channel the moment you saw someone kneeling. But you didn't.

They are exercising their rights, don't like it turn the channel and watch wrestling on Fox.

So then the ongoing bitching about it is, what, snowflakes consoling each other?

I supposed it depends on many things, you can't yell bomb on a plane and you can't yell fire in a theater unless there is either. It isn't as simple as you choose to make it.

nope, completely viable. if the NFL comes out with a rule that says players will stand or....... then guess what? so, it isn't like that at all. Even owners could say it for their respective teams, how about the union contract? wow, dude, you don't understand life.

Right, only you 'understand life' and everyone else is clueless. You're so special. :cuckoo:

Nice try.

It is that simple.

And it has.

Nice try.

So then the ongoing bitching about it is, what, snowflakes consoling each other?
again, it is our prerogative as fans to turn it off. which is what is happening. when the money dries up then perhaps there will be a change. funny, you don't get that's happening.

Right, only you 'understand life' and everyone else is clueless. You're so special. :cuckoo:
well much more than you it appears.

Credit Trump for the increase in players protesting the National Anthem

So, he comments on them protesting so they protest a song? Fucking twits.

He commented on the protest, and it was pretty apparent from his tweets that he was pretty upset about it.

I mean..............there are lots of you conservatives who are happy that Trump is making the left go spinning in circles, even if his only accomplishment thus far is appointing a SC judge to the court. I've seen the comments posted on these boards where a lot of conservatives have said that all Trump has to do to be a success in their eyes is piss off liberals.

Well, there are lots of liberals out there who want to piss off Trump, and it looks like they are doing just that, by protesting the anthem.

What's even funnier, is it makes the Trumptards go bananas, which is even better.

All I am saying is, it's pretty retarded to protest the national anthem because you don't like Trump. The disconnect is breathtaking.

What disconnect? Trump is the direct representative and face of this country, and the national anthem is the song that represents this country.

Protesting during the national anthem because you don't like the way some things are done in this country or because you don't like who is running the country sounds like the perfect time to do so.

Why were they protesting Obama when he was in office because that is when Kaepernick started his protests?

Wow! There is an inconvenient truth for you to chew on!

I'll bet you forgot that little tidbit, huh?

Protesting the national anthem by disrespect at an NFL game, NBA, game, NHL game, Little League, Pop Warner league, etc. is unacceptable.
Okay, where is the rule on that? Is it in the Constitution?

And, does this traumatize you in some way? Do you feel victimized?

If you read the 1st Amendment, it only mentions Congress righting laws. Since they have not limited their speech by law, why can't their employer limit their speech?

You libs just don't get it.

As libs often say when conservatives complain about free speech issues, you have freedom of speech, but you do not have freedom from consequences of that speech.
I believe in freedom of expression for all. The more the merrier. Let's hear it and discuss it.

You and the Regressive Left don't.

I think most people here aren't objection to the freedom to express oneself , but rather WHEN they are doing it. People who pay to watch a game shouldn't be subjected to this - they are like a captive audience and it isn't what they paid to see. The players that do this are abusing their position and their audience, imho.

A "captive audience"? Really? You mean to tell me that 30 seconds to a minute of someone kneeling during the anthem is going to have an effect on the game or how people feel about it?

I don't watch the games to see the protests, I watch them to see the players play football. Besides, during the opening festivities, I'm either watching something else or raiding the 'fridge for some game snacks.

The same argument is used by those who oppose public prayers.

“In democracies, we the people get the government we deserve. We also get the celebrities we deserve, the artists we deserve, and the athletes we deserve. Because ultimately, we the people get to decide who and what gets our attention, and who and what does not.”

“Right now the NFL, the players who choose to kneel, the networks who choose to broadcast their protest, the advertisers who sponsor the games, and the President of the United States, are all eager for our attention. And they are all using football to get it. That’s all well and good, right up to the point where it isn’t.

In my view, this controversy really isn’t about patriotism, social justice, racial inequality, or free speech. It’s not even about the flag or the national anthem. It’s really only about one thing – what we will tolerate, and what we won’t.”

“I was disappointed last night, to hear President Trump encourage owners to fire players who refuse to stand for the anthem. Not because I dispute the owners right to do so, and not because I would grieve the dismissal of anyone who chooses to disrespect our flag. I was disappointed because the President’s comments presuppose that the owners are in charge of the game.

They’re not. We are. We decide what to watch, and that decision – far more than any other consideration – will determine the what the owners choose to do. And that in turn will affect what the players choose to do.”

As the leader of the country, the President had an opportunity to remind us that The NFL, the networks who broadcast their games, and all of the players – standers and kneelers alike – work for us. He might have also used the occasion to remind us that he too, serves at our pleasure.”

“I felt a similar bemusement when the Commissioner issued his response, followed by the President of the Player’s Union. Their comments – along with the comments of many of the players themselves – were perfectly reasonable, perfectly understandable, and perfectly in keeping with their first amendment rights. But they were also perfectly arrogant. Because they too, presuppose that millions of fans will continue to watch them play a game – no matter what.”

As Mike Rowe stated earlier, it all comes down now to what the American people will tolerate and what they will not. I guess we will find out the answer to that in the weeks to months to come.

Mike Rowe Blasts Everyone Involved In The NFL-National Anthem Protests

Unfortunately, we currently have liberal Hollywood and the NFL weenies trying to decide for us what we want; We reject some things. Shows like the liberal The View and Seth Myers get low ratings but they keep pushing them at us. Shows like Last Man Standing, a conservative show, gets the axe despite high ratings. The people spoke but it fell on deaf ears as those in charge ignore us and continue to shove their views down our throats.

When Tim Tebow kneeled to pray, he was sharply criticized and told to stop it. When players put memorials for 9/11 on their shoes, they were fined and warned not to do it again.

Now we have idiots not only opening showing disrespect for our country but one started doing stretching exercises just to be an even bigger asshole. We have black players giving the BLM salute after taking down a white player. It's racism, pure and simple. They are being racist while supposedly condemning racism. Racism is not as rampant as the race baiters would have you believe.

It's nothing more than an attempt to divide people and manufacture a problem that isn't there just so government can have an excuse to curb freedom of speech.

While the players claim that protesting on the job is merely their first amendment right, they seek to squash the rights of others to speak if they don't agree with them. A lot of language and symbols have been banned by the left. They deem anything they don't like as hate speech and then seek to have it banned.

Tim Tebow was accused of pushing religion. The people memorializing 9/11 were offending Muslims. And now the one guy who stood for the anthem is probably being accused of racism.

This is how the left operates. They do not believe in freedom of speech or any other freedoms. They believe in total control and they want to tell us what we can think, what we can do and how we should live.

Here is a photo of 3 black men. Guess which one likely believes the hype that blacks cannot succeed and have no choice but to turn to crime and gangs to survive.

21766820_920185011462070_5659622539814805922_n.jpg

Credit Trump for the increase in players protesting the National Anthem

He commented on the protest, and it was pretty apparent from his tweets that he was pretty upset about it.

I mean..............there are lots of you conservatives who are happy that Trump is making the left go spinning in circles, even if his only accomplishment thus far is appointing a SC judge to the court. I've seen the comments posted on these boards where a lot of conservatives have said that all Trump has to do to be a success in their eyes is piss off liberals.

Well, there are lots of liberals out there who want to piss off Trump, and it looks like they are doing just that, by protesting the anthem.

What's even funnier, is it makes the Trumptards go bananas, which is even better.

All I am saying is, it's pretty retarded to protest the national anthem because you don't like Trump. The disconnect is breathtaking.

What disconnect? Trump is the direct representative and face of this country, and the national anthem is the song that represents this country.

Protesting during the national anthem because you don't like the way some things are done in this country or because you don't like who is running the country sounds like the perfect time to do so.

Why were they protesting Obama when he was in office because that is when Kaepernick started his protests?

Actually, the protests started just a couple of years ago. Here's a link to help you out with that..................

All the athletes who joined Kaepernick’s national anthem protest

And.................fwiw.....................the NFL didn't start having the players come out during the national anthem until 2009. Kapernick didn't start his protests until a couple of years after that.

And, he wasn't protesting the president, he was protesting the way blacks were treated in this country. Try again.

Okay, where is the rule on that? Is it in the Constitution?

And, does this traumatize you in some way? Do you feel victimized?

If you read the 1st Amendment, it only mentions Congress righting laws. Since they have not limited their speech by law, why can't their employer limit their speech?

As libs often say when conservatives complain about free speech issues, you have freedom of speech, but you do not have freedom from consequences of that speech.
I believe in freedom of expression for all. The more the merrier. Let's hear it and discuss it.

I think most people here aren't objection to the freedom to express oneself , but rather WHEN they are doing it. People who pay to watch a game shouldn't be subjected to this - they are like a captive audience and it isn't what they paid to see. The players that do this are abusing their position and their audience, imho.

A "captive audience"? Really? You mean to tell me that 30 seconds to a minute of someone kneeling during the anthem is going to have an effect on the game or how people feel about it?

I don't watch the games to see the protests, I watch them to see the players play football. Besides, during the opening festivities, I'm either watching something else or raiding the 'fridge for some game snacks.

I don't oppose public prayer. There are quite a few places where it occurs, and I am fine with that. However...............public schools should not require students to observe a prayer time during school, because not everyone who goes to public school is the same religion, or even religious at all.

Actually, the protests started just a couple of years ago. Here's a link to help you out with that..................

And.................fwiw.....................the NFL didn't start having the players come out during the national anthem until 2009. Kapernick didn't start his protests until a couple of years after that.

And, he wasn't protesting the president, he was protesting the way blacks were treated in this country. Try again.

How does anything you posted disagree with what I said?

You are starting to be a world class dumbass! I suggest reading lessons.

The protests have been (at least in Kapernick's case) about how black people are being treated in this country. Started right around the time that black kids were being shot by cops for no reason. No, he never protested Obama which is what you insinuated when you said this...................................

I don't oppose public prayer. There are quite a few places where it occurs, and I am fine with that. However...............public schools should not require students to observe a prayer time during school, because not everyone who goes to public school is the same religion, or even religious at all.

Did I say YOU did?

My God, how did you ever make it past boot camp with that reading ability?

The same argument was used by people supporting public prayer. How well did that work out?

Nice deflection about schools, since that is not the topic.

I happen to oppose public prayer and prayer in schools.

The protests have been (at least in Kapernick's case) about how black people are being treated in this country. Started right around the time that black kids were being shot by cops for no reason. No, he never protested Obama which is what you insinuated when you said this...................................

OK, shit for brains, go back and look at what YOU said.

"What disconnect? Trump is the direct representative and face of this country, and the national anthem is the song that represents this country."

If you are not assigning the target as being Trump, why bring him into it?

"What disconnect? Trump is the direct representative and face of this country, and the national anthem is the song that represents this country."

I was talking to Soggy, not you. But, yeah, she said that it was stupid to protest the national anthem if you don't like Trump, and I simply stated that both represent this country.

Gonna quit talking to you now, you keep wanting to cherry pick stuff.

I was talking to Soggy, not you. But, yeah, she said that it was stupid to protest the national anthem if you don't like Trump, and I simply stated that both represent this country.

Gonna quit talking to you now, you keep wanting to cherry pick stuff.

With you I don't have to cherry pick anything. Everything you post is usually bullshit.

Have a nice time playing with, ...er I mean by yourself.

Not sure why the Right would want to be as intolerant to opposing views as the Regressive Left.
You have no freedom of speech at work.
We could just live and let live, allow people to express themselves as long as it doesn't (really) affect us. Being "offended" doesn't count.

There's always an excuse to try to shut someone up.

You can not protest at your work place because you are not being paid to express your opposition to a policy or make a political statement. Owners set the policy their paid "employees", or players who work for them must follow during company time. You wish to protest I guarantee you the company you work for would ask you do it at your own time ... not in their place of business and definitely not to be associated with their company's views How many employees of a business do you personally see trying to make a public specticle by expressing what they feel needs to happen according to their own personal view? Name for me a few businesses that allow employee protests to occur to distract from, and impose their views contrary to what customers came there for? Contrary to what you might think, customers don't have to tolerate what you may personally think needs to happen out of protest, when they can take their business ... and dollars ... elsewhere.

Forum List

Back