Next time some idiot says "Our forefathers didn't base this country on God".....

nucular said:
Why didn't you post this in the religion forum?

Sheesh - anything else we can do for you, newbie? Maybe you'd like us to move the piano upstairs?

Just kidding. The prevailing P.C. disdain for all things Christian is very much political in nature, scope, and consequence. The thread has been placed in the appropriate section.

Welcome to the board!

deaddude said:
I for one would prefer Christianity in our country vs Islam...better be careful of what you ask for you may just get it! The way Liberals and their "God" the "ACLU" support Islam over Christianity is amazing to me..If Islam wins over Christianity well all you secuarlist will have hell to pay...way more than Christians! :poke:

I would perfer hinduism over either of the two you mention. :huh:[/QUOTE]

Hinduism is a peaceful organization...no problemo from me...ya should stick up for the Buddist though...Islam destroyed their 600year old statues in Iraq!

acludem said:
My problem with the Boy Scouts, and the reason they frequently have problems getting usage of public property is that they are on record as publically excluding gay people and in some areas non-Christians from participation. It is against many city ordinances and state laws to allow organizations that discriminate use of public land with or without a fee to have events. That is the problem, not whether or not they have a religious oath (which they do "...do my duty to God and my country...").

As for crosses in cemeteries, the plots are privately owned and so the owners of those plots should be allowed to put whatever symbols they choose within reason (i.e. a twenty foot neon sign probably wouldn't be appropriate).

The fact is, that those most responsible for the shape of our present government were adamant about keeping government and religion separate. Jefferson's epitaph even mentions that he was the author of the Virginia Statute for Religious freedom. James Madison (a.k.a. "The Father of our Constitution) was adamant about separation of church and state as were Benjamin Franklin, the devoutly religious John Adams, and Federalist papers authors John Jay and Alexander Hamilton.

acludem

No direct response to the federalist stuff. Interesting. I disagree with the ACLU regarding Boy Scouts, but then again, I dropped my membership due to Skokie and Nazis.

Religious freedom ala Jefferson does NOT mean from religion, rather OF religion, which is what seperates us from Europe and has allowed so many to be religious, since they can 'shop around.'

Skokie? Too bad. The more NAzis get to march and speak, the less power they have.

Secular humanism is the way to go. Organized religion is the bane of the human race. It's a banal cliche that happens to be pretty much true.

Secular humanism is the way to go. Organized religion is the bane of the human race. It's a banal cliche that happens to be pretty much true.
While I agree to some extent, I must protest SH as being an end all approach to the difficult issues humanity faces. I have been reading that symbolism and the psyche's hold on it are somehow etched into our genetic make up.

There is always a well-known solution to every human problem--neat, plausible, and wrong.
-HLM

"Anyone who thinks sitting in church can make you a Christian must also think that sitting in a garage can make you a car." Garrison Keillor

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Godless-Constitution-Moral-Defense-Secular/dp/0393328376/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8]Amazon.com: The Godless Constitution: A Moral Defense of the Secular State (9780393328370): Isaac Kramnick, R. Laurence Moore: Books[/ame]

Forum List

Back