Newtown wants guns in schools

Katzndogz

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2011
Newtown wants armed guards in schools.

Newtown Calls for Armed School Officers | NBC Connecticut

Maybe they were influenced by the Atlanta GA school shooter that was stopped after wounding one kid by an armed guard.

Armed guard disarmed teen in Atlanta school shooting, says police chief | The Salt Lake Tribune

The reality is inescapable. Gun free zone, 26 dead. Armed guard, 1 wounded no one dead.

Yup, schools with armed guards are difficult places to try and execute a mass killing.

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but how much help can an armed guard really be when their being armed will make them be the first person that gets taken out?

God bless you always!!!

Holly`

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but how much help can an armed guard really be when their being armed will make them be the first person that gets taken out?

God bless you always!!!

Holly`

Do them the way the Air Marshalls are done. I used to fly a lot, I could never pick out the Air Marshall.

God bless you always!!!

Holly`
The schools I went to,k-12 had armed concealed police dressed as a teacher or principal would be.Their was at least 4 to each section of halls on every floor.Nothing really happened besides a fist fight here & their abruptly broken up,no shootings.
Having a armed guard is better then no guard.Their is at least a chance a shooter or some other violent incidents can be stopped before police/backup arrives.
It's like a seatbelt or helmet,even though you might die still it doesn't mean you shouldn't wear it.

Then they can have guns. Why is this an issue? If people in that district want to spend the money and have armed guards in their public schools, or arm teachers or like a recent Ohio school, arm the custodial staff, then go ahead and do it.

Don't you remember the outrage when Wayne Le Pierre suggested this as a viable solution?

The left called him crazy!

Where are they now?

Do you think they'll show consistency, and question the sanity of these parents?

I don't.

I agree, I doubt anyone will question a community who just went through such a terrible tragedy. I still think its crazy to have armed guards, or armed teachers or armed janitors, however, if people want that in their community, *shrug* that's their business.

God bless you always!!!

Holly`

You mean like this case?

"Armed guard disarmed teen in Atlanta school shooting, says police chief | The Salt Lake Tribune"

You people just don't get it. If your typical wacko who wants to shoot up his school, is aware their are armed guards, he is far less likely to even try it. For the most part wacko's are at their core Cowards. That is why they pray on Schools, because they do not expect resistance.

I agree, I doubt anyone will question a community who just went through such a terrible tragedy. I still think its crazy to have armed guards, or armed teachers or armed janitors, however, if people want that in their community, *shrug* that's their business.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, and I agree to a certain extent.

But first let me point out a couple of things.

Every federal building has armed guards, banks have armed guards...I think our children are more precious to us than money, or the government.

I went to the IRS office in Springfield, and they had an armed guard...their office was no bigger than a nail salon with no more than 10 employees.

And I have never heard of an incident where those guards have gone on a killing spree, or shot an innocent person.

Now, if it were up to me, I would allow the principal and vice principals to arm themselves...and I would also allow them the discretion to approve some teachers to carry firearms.

The beauty of this plan is in reality, no one necessarily has to be armed, but it can also be assumed that every teacher is...the perception is more important than the reality.

Right now, an armed intruder bent on killing innocent people enters a school with a guarantee that NO law abiding citizen inside is armed...that is unacceptable...

Last edited:
No no no no no no no no! Newtown is THE showcase for Gun Control and Gun Grabbing! If they do that it'll screw EVERYTHING up! :(

As I noted in another thread about this there are two caveats: (a) making decisions based on emotions is not a rational basis, and (b) this headline, like the other thread(s), is misleading. "Newtown" didn't vote for armed guards; the school board did. It's a disingenuous headline, and that's done to sell papers.

In any case the end result amounts to (a) turning the school into a war zone and (b) slamming the barn door after the horse is already gone.

Maybe they were influenced by the Atlanta GA school shooter that was stopped after wounding one kid by an armed guard.

Armed guard disarmed teen in Atlanta school shooting, says police chief | The Salt Lake Tribune

The reality is inescapable. Gun free zone, 26 dead. Armed guard, 1 wounded no one dead.

Is it true there was an armed guard at columbine? If true, doesnt that sort of make you look like a dumb ass here?

Then they can have guns. Why is this an issue? If people in that district want to spend the money and have armed guards in their public schools, or arm teachers or like a recent Ohio school, arm the custodial staff, then go ahead and do it.

Don't you remember the outrage when Wayne Le Pierre suggested this as a viable solution?

The left called him crazy!

Where are they now?

Do you think they'll show consistency, and question the sanity of these parents?

I don't.

That fucking idiot said ALL schools should have armed guards. He righty, will raised taxes pay for it? If not raised taxes, how will this get paid for?

God bless you always!!!

Holly`

Do them the way the Air Marshalls are done. I used to fly a lot, I could never pick out the Air Marshall.

So they will be dressed as six year olds? Perhaps be the undercover water boy?

As I noted in another thread about this there are two caveats: (a) making decisions based on emotions is not a rational basis, and (b) this headline, like the other thread(s), is misleading. "Newtown" didn't vote for armed guards; the school board did. It's a disingenuous headline, and that's done to sell papers.

In any case the end result amounts to (a) turning the school into a war zone and (b) slamming the barn door after the horse is already gone.

a) Gun control is an emotional, rather than rational, position because it will not remove 300 million guns now in circulation and does not reduce crime.
b) The distinction between Newtown and its school board is specious; obviously, the school board makes decisions about school policy.

a) Define "war zone." Is this anything other than a red herring?
b) According to your "barn door" analogy, we shouldn't make any new safety rules after an airline crash.

Brilliant.

a) Gun control is an emotional, rather than rational, position because it will not remove 300 million guns now in circulation and does not reduce crime.
b) The distinction between Newtown and its school board is specious; obviously, the school board makes decisions about school policy.

a) Define "war zone." Is this anything other than a red herring?
b) According to your "barn door" analogy, we shouldn't make any new safety rules after an airline crash.

Brilliant.

Thanks.
(a) (1st) - I agree completely. And making decisions based on emotion is never a sound basis. Whether it's legislating gun control or this school board vote, they're both driven by the same emotion rather than any rationality. That doesn't make either one necessarily a negative; the negative comes after installing the armed security in the school, or legislating restrictions on the weapons, when we then take the attitude of "there, we addressed that problem". No, we didn't. We just put a band-aid on the symptom and ignored the disease. And as long as that's all we do, it will be back.

(b) (1st) the distinction isn't specious at all; it's crucial, because the headline would have us believe that the entire town got together and decided to put armed guards in the school. That is not at all what happened and doesn't necessarily reflect the genuine thoughts of that populace at all. So both the headline and the thread title are intentionally misleading. That's just my thing about honesty and bending the truth to fit one's agenda.

(a) (2nd) "war zone" means sending one's five-year-old into a building every day where weapons are around. Just the fact that they're around (and in whose hands?) puts them into a more dangerous environment than they were previously in -- it's bad enough that we force kids into that prison, and then we make it even more ominous. I heard that term "war zone" from many parents on this board and elsewhere who don't want their kids to have to live like that, and I agree with them. School is traumatic enough without this deeper layer, and it can't end well. Plus it's been pointed out that in a real situation, the first casualty of such a shooter would be ... the guard. And once that weapon is out of responsible control, especially when no weapon was needed to take it away, everybody's life is in danger. And that didn't need to happen.

(b) (2nd) technically it would mean that, but your comparison is laboured. In the case of planes we're talking mechanical systems that follow a pattern of operation, so naturally we would address those globally. That's logical. School shootings are anomalies, they never strike in the same place twice, and count on the element of surprise. They're not logical. And again, it's putting a band-aid on the symptom and ignoring the disease. You can shut the barn door, but that does absolutely nothing to address why the horse left in the first place. Nor will it keep the next horse from finding a way out if that's what he wants to do.

Last edited:

Yup, schools with armed guards are difficult places to try and execute a mass killing.

Unless you're the armed guard who just snapped. It still doesn't change the fact that attacking Rights of Law abiding citizens will NOT stop gun killings.

Forum List

Back