Newt Tells A Big Lie...Again

The Romney campaign released one report from the Gingrich group a few months ago regarding a Freddie Mac report (that they somehow acquired)--I got it through an e-mail-from the Romney campaign & unfortunately deleted it.

But in the 4th or 5th paragraph of the Gingrich group report it specifically stated: That Freddie Mac needed more regulation. Now this was probably pulled from the Romney campaign as they originally just read the headline & the 1st couple of paragrahs--and NOT the entire report. Once they realized they were actually confirming what Newt Gingrich has stated--"that he recommended more regulation"--that have pulled it.

I will try to find it again--but it's definitely out there somewhere. If I got it--lots of other people did too.

You did not read my OP, did you. And I very specifically said to read the quote from Newt very carefully, over and over. To read each and every sentence.

Go back and try again.

Here it is again:

Certainly there is a lot of debate today about the housing GSEs, but I think it is telling that there is strong bipartisan support for maintaining the GSE model in housing. There is not much support for the idea of removing the GSE charters from Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae. And I think it's clear why. The housing GSEs have made an important contribution to homeownership and the housing finance system. We have a much more liquid and stable housing finance system than we would have without the GSEs. And making homeownership more accessible and affordable is a policy goal I believe conservatives should embrace. Millions of people have entered the middle class through building wealth in their homes, and there is a lot of evidence that homeownership contributes to stable families and communities. These are results I think conservatives should embrace and want to extend as widely as possible. So while we need to improve the regulation of the GSEs, I would be very cautious about fundamentally changing their role or the model itself.

See the last sentence where he says "while we need to improve the regulation of the GSEs"? That's probably what you saw in Mitt's email. As far as I know, Newt has not released any reports. He has been asked for them by Mitt, and Newt has responded with dead silence.

He puts the word "while" in front of the need for regulations, which means it is a subordinating conjunction. He does not see the need for improved regulation as anything pressing or systemically threatening. Quite the opposite. He is being protective of Freddie Mac in that sentence. "I would be very cautious about fundamentally changing their role or the model itself."

He loves that word, "fundamentally".

Read the whole context of what he is saying in that quote. He is saying the housing finance system is "much more liquid and stable" because of the GSEs. He is saying we should maintain the GSE model in housing. He is saying conservatives should support the GSE charters.

Now does that sound anything like he is telling them they are "insane" or "this is a bubble" to anyone?

Hell, read the whole Q&A session. See if you can find anyone saying they are being forced to make bad loans. See if you can find him telling them they are being insane.

Knock yourself out.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back