Newt Gingrich touted Freddie Mac business model in 2007

Who do you support Maple?

I support the candidate who can WIN the general election and it isn't Newt, it's Mitt Romney, because if we don't win, we are TOAST as a country. The Democrats have telegraphed who they fear and it's not Newt, it's Mitt Romney, they are running attack adds in the early primary states against Mitt, NOT Newt.

It's unprecedented to do this during a primary, usually the parties wait until there is a nominee, not this time, they are trying to influence the outcome of our primary, we allow them to do this and we are done.

I support the candidate who can WIN the general election and it isn't Newt, it's Mitt Romney, because if we don't win, we are TOAST as a country. The Democrats have telegraphed who they fear and it's not Newt, it's Mitt Romney, they are running attack adds in the early primary states against Mitt, NOT Newt.

It's unprecedented to do this during a primary, usually the parties wait until there is a nominee, not this time, they are trying to influence the outcome of our primary, we allow them to do this and we are done.

OBAMA VOTES FOR NEWT at DickMorris.com

Does President Barack Obama get a vote in the Republican primary? Apparently, he wants one. His campaign organization has targeted Mitt Romney for negative ads, a sure sign that he would rather run against Newt than against Mitt.

He may not be right. His political judgment is, after all, flawed. But he likely sees the race in ideological terms — as he sees the world — and would rather run against a strong conservative like Newt than someone with moderate credentials like Romney.

How do we know? Obama is now running ads, through the Democratic Party, in Virginia, North Carolina, Arizona, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Wisconsin attacking Romney for changing his position on abortion. The ad begins with an announcer saying, in ominous tones, that he is about to describe the drama of “two men inhabiting one body.” No, he is not talking about Sybil, the multiple personality disorder. He is attacking Romney for once having been pro choice and now being pro life. Apparently Obama does not understand that Mitt — like Reagan, Nixon, and Bush-41 before him, have abandoned their pro choice positions as they came to know more about the issue and embraced a pro life posture.

But where are the ads attacking Gingrich? There aren’t any. It is unprecedented for a Democratic candidate to take sides in a Republican presidential primary. But Obama is doing it. He is scared to death of Romney. All of the things which make his nomination more problematic among conservatives, strengthen his credentials to defeat Obama in November. His former pro choice posture, his embrace of gay civil unions (but not marriage), and his sponsorship of Romneycare in Massachusetts — despite its obvious differences from Obama’s program — make him more acceptable to independents. So Obama is determined to vote in the Republican Primary for Newt.

Bill Clinton, doubtless following the same instincts, says positive things about Gingrich.

It's rather obvious that they are not worried about Newt, they know they can beat him, he has too much baggage and we have heard the last of the baggage. You are not a 20 year politician with ties to Freddie Mac and not have baggage.

Last edited:

I see. So my fear of Mitt is less important than who the left wants to face? Mitt is a serial sell out and your railing on Newt for flip flops?

I see. So my fear of Mitt is less important than who the left wants to face? Mitt is a serial sell out and your railing on Newt for flip flops?

Serial sell-out name the ways? You have bought into those one-liners where you repeat what you heard and are attempting to sell it as truth. Here's the truth, Mitt Romney was the conservative in the race in 08, with Rush Limbaugh and all those radio talk show hosts lined up firmly behind him. Now, all of a sudden he is not conservative enough.

Try doing some reading, start with Fact Check.

FactCheck.org : Flipping Through DNC Playbook on Romney

Summary

The Democratic National Committee casts Mitt Romney as an untrustworthy flip-flopper in a lengthy Web video, but pads a long list of examples with some falsehoods and distortions. It’s true that Romney has changed or modified his position on some major issues — including abortion, a federal assault weapons ban and Reaganomics, as the DNC says. But the video strains the truth to build a case against Romney by including some dubious claims:
■The DNC says Romney flip-flopped on the Wall Street bailout — when, in fact, he has consistently supported its original intent but opposed Obama’s decision to extend TARP and use its funds for other programs, including the auto bailout.
■The DNC also claims Romney changed his position on the auto bailout. The fact is Romney consistently called for a “managed bankruptcy” similar to what was later undertaken, but he opposed the use of federal funds by both Bush and Obama.
■The video casts Romney as a one-time supporter of Obama’s stimulus. In fact, Romney favored a smaller stimulus and opposed the “excessive borrowing” of Obama’s plan as the “wrong course.”
■The DNC video also portrays Romney as supporting the Obama health care plan. Not true. He has consistently defended his Massachusetts law as right for his state, but opposed imposing it on other states by federal law.
■Similarly, the DNC claims Romney supported Obama’s education program, Race to the Top. But, again, Romney supported some of the program’s goals, but he said those kinds of issues ought to be handled at the state level, not federal.

We also found the DNC video wrongly accuses Romney of reversing his positions on the minimum wage, stem-cell research, don’t ask don’t tell, and whether he hired illegal immigrants.

On other issues the DNC is on target, however. While running for president four years ago, Romney managed to be both for the federal assault weapons ban and against reviving it after it expired. He also acknowledged changing sides on abortion. As he said in 2007: “[M]y position was effectively pro-choice. And that position changed.” He also changed positions on tax pledges, dismissing them as “government by gimmickry” in 2002 and then boasting in 2007 that he was the only major Republican presidential candidate to sign one.

And how does he really feel about Ronald Reagan? While running for U.S. Senate in 1994, he said he did not want to “return to Reagan-Bush.” Then, while running for the GOP presidential nomination in 2007, Romney admitted he “wasn’t always a Ronald Reagan conservative,” but “my life experience convinced me that Ronald Reagan was right.”

For more details on these and other issues — including, but not limited to, climate change, minimum wage and stem cell research — please read our Analysis.

Analysis

The DNC laid bare its opposition research on Republican Mitt Romney in a four-minute Web video posted Nov. 27 that accuses the former Massachusetts governor of flip-flopping on 15 policy issues. The DNC also produced a 30-second version for television that invites viewers to watch the longer video of “the story of two men trapped in one body: Mitt versus Mitt.”

The Democrats have put little money behind the TV ad, but the Web video has received a lot of media buzz and for good reason. It has long been expected that Romney, a leading contender for the GOP nomination, would be a top Democratic target. With this video, the Democrats revealed their line of attack against Romney. They will go after Romney’s character — raising doubts in voters’ minds about his trustworthiness by playing up his reputation for changing his mind on policy issues. But how much of Romney’s reputation is earned and how much of it is myth? We looked at all 15 issues raised in the lengthy Web video to find out. We found four flip-flops, one flip-flop-flip, one half-flip — and nine times when the DNC wrongly accused Romney of flip-flopping

Last edited:

Serial sell-out name the ways? You have bought into those one-liners where you repeat what you heard and are attempting to sell it as truth. Here's the truth, Mitt Romney was the conservative in the race in 08, with Rush Limbaugh and all those radio talk show hosts lined up firmly behind him. Now, all of a sudden he is not conservative enough.

One liners? Maybe, but they aren't my lines, they're Mitts.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9njHHyRI7g&feature=youtube_gdata_player]MittvMitt.com: The story of two men trapped in one body - YouTube[/ame]

Try doing some reading, start with Fact Check.

FactCheck.org : Flipping Through DNC Playbook on Romney

Summary

The Democratic National Committee casts Mitt Romney as an untrustworthy flip-flopper in a lengthy Web video, but pads a long list of examples with some falsehoods and distortions. It’s true that Romney has changed or modified his position on some major issues — including abortion, a federal assault weapons ban and Reaganomics, as the DNC says. But the video strains the truth to build a case against Romney by including some dubious claims:
■The DNC says Romney flip-flopped on the Wall Street bailout — when, in fact, he has consistently supported its original intent but opposed Obama’s decision to extend TARP and use its funds for other programs, including the auto bailout.
■The DNC also claims Romney changed his position on the auto bailout. The fact is Romney consistently called for a “managed bankruptcy” similar to what was later undertaken, but he opposed the use of federal funds by both Bush and Obama.
■The video casts Romney as a one-time supporter of Obama’s stimulus. In fact, Romney favored a smaller stimulus and opposed the “excessive borrowing” of Obama’s plan as the “wrong course.”
■The DNC video also portrays Romney as supporting the Obama health care plan. Not true. He has consistently defended his Massachusetts law as right for his state, but opposed imposing it on other states by federal law.
■Similarly, the DNC claims Romney supported Obama’s education program, Race to the Top. But, again, Romney supported some of the program’s goals, but he said those kinds of issues ought to be handled at the state level, not federal.

We also found the DNC video wrongly accuses Romney of reversing his positions on the minimum wage, stem-cell research, don’t ask don’t tell, and whether he hired illegal immigrants.

On other issues the DNC is on target, however. While running for president four years ago, Romney managed to be both for the federal assault weapons ban and against reviving it after it expired. He also acknowledged changing sides on abortion. As he said in 2007: “[M]y position was effectively pro-choice. And that position changed.” He also changed positions on tax pledges, dismissing them as “government by gimmickry” in 2002 and then boasting in 2007 that he was the only major Republican presidential candidate to sign one.

And how does he really feel about Ronald Reagan? While running for U.S. Senate in 1994, he said he did not want to “return to Reagan-Bush.” Then, while running for the GOP presidential nomination in 2007, Romney admitted he “wasn’t always a Ronald Reagan conservative,” but “my life experience convinced me that Ronald Reagan was right.”

For more details on these and other issues — including, but not limited to, climate change, minimum wage and stem cell research — please read our Analysis.

Analysis

The DNC laid bare its opposition research on Republican Mitt Romney in a four-minute Web video posted Nov. 27 that accuses the former Massachusetts governor of flip-flopping on 15 policy issues. The DNC also produced a 30-second version for television that invites viewers to watch the longer video of “the story of two men trapped in one body: Mitt versus Mitt.”

The Democrats have put little money behind the TV ad, but the Web video has received a lot of media buzz and for good reason. It has long been expected that Romney, a leading contender for the GOP nomination, would be a top Democratic target. With this video, the Democrats revealed their line of attack against Romney. They will go after Romney’s character — raising doubts in voters’ minds about his trustworthiness by playing up his reputation for changing his mind on policy issues. But how much of Romney’s reputation is earned and how much of it is myth? We looked at all 15 issues raised in the lengthy Web video to find out. We found four flip-flops, one flip-flop-flip, one half-flip — and nine times when the DNC wrongly accused Romney of flip-flopping

Now compare this to the many, many flip flops and postions that Newt has held over the years, beleive me they are numerous, and the dems know it, they will use it and they will kill any chance of us winning the election.

Forum List

Back