Newt Gingrich touted Freddie Mac business model in 2007

Maple

Mar 15, 2009
Sure he did, he was paid to do it. Good Grief, the many flips of Newt Gingrich. First, supporting a national mandate for health care. Second, supporting Dee Dee , a true rhino, in the New York congressional election over the conservative, she dropped out and threw her support to the Democrat in the race. Sitting on a love seat with Nancy Pelosi promoting global warming. Throwing Paul Ryan under the bus on his budget plan??

Now this- and all he has to do is apologize to people and all is forgiven. Do you really know this man? you better, because if you don't and you nominate him, the Democrats won't forget and Obama will use his billion dollars to run adds on Newt that will curl your hair. All is not out on this guy, sure he can debate but he is very capable of making huge mistakes.

Newt Gingrich touted Freddie Mac business model

Last edited:
Sure he did, he was paid to do it. Good Grief, the many flips of Newt Gingrich. First, supporting a national mandate for health care. Second, supporting Dee Dee , a true rhino, in the New York congressional election over the conservative, she dropped out and threw her support to the Democrat in the race. Sitting on a love seat with Nancy Pelosi promoting global warming. Throwing Paul Ryan under the bus on his budget plan??

Now this- and all he has to do is apologize to people and all is forgiven. Do you really know this man? you better, because if you don't and you nominate him, the Democrats won't forget and Obama will use his billion dollars to run adds on Newt that will curl your hair. All is not out on this guy, sure he can debate but he is very capable of making huge mistakes.

Former House speaker Newt Gingrich highlighted the benefits of Freddie Mac's business model in 2007 -- a position that appears to contradict his assertion that he warned the mortgage company of its "insane" business practices.

In an interview posted in an archived version of Freddie Mac's website, Gingrich discusses the so-called government-supported enterprise model, dubbed GSEs. "While we need to improve the regulations of the GSEs, I would be very cautious about fundamentally changing their role or the model itself," he said.

He went on to praise Freddie Mac's and Fannie Mae's "important contribution" to homeownership

Former House speaker Newt Gingrich highlighted the benefits of Freddie Mac's business model in 2007 -- a position that appears to contradict his assertion that he warned the mortgage company of its "insane" business practices.

In an interview posted in an archived version of Freddie Mac's website, Gingrich discusses the so-called government-supported enterprise model, dubbed GSEs. "While we need to improve the regulations of the GSEs, I would be very cautious about fundamentally changing their role or the model itself," he said.

He went on to praise Freddie Mac's and Fannie Mae's "important contribution" to homeownership

The linked article you posted also says this:

Now that they have collapsed due to lack of regulations as cited above--costing Americans taxpayers BILLIONS--Newt Gingrich wants to dismantle both Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

Last edited:

Freddie Mac Paid Newt Gingrich More Than $1.6 Million - National - The Atlantic Wire

They need to be eliminated not improved, he speaks from both sides of his mouth when it's convienient for him to do so. Freddie and Fannie are the reason for the shape we are in today, I never once heard him warning anyone of the pending doom, like Bush and McCain were doing. He worked for them making connections with Republican legislators to assure that they were not regulated, that was his job, he may not have had personal contact with legislators but you can bet your buck wheat that he advised Freddie on who to talk to. They did not hire him to bash their organization, they hired him to promote it. And he took it and ran with it.

Newt was being paid as a private citizen to promote them. What would you to expect him to do? He did the job he was paid to do. Too bad congress didn't when they were warned MULTIPLE times. Yet its Newts fault? He did what he was paid to do and it was a legit legal job.

Deal with it.

They need to be eliminated not improved, he speaks from both sides of his mouth when it's convienient for him to do so. Freddie and Fannie are the reason for the shape we are in today, I never once heard him warning anyone of the pending doom, like Bush and McCain were doing. He worked for them making connections with Republican legislators to assure that they were not regulated, that was his job, he may not have had personal contact with legislators but you can bet your buck wheat that he advised Freddie on who to talk to. They did not hire him to bash their organization, they hired him to promote it. And he took it and ran with it.

It's very naive to think that Newt Gingrich has to do nothing but apologize and all will be forgiven because you can bet, the Democrats will use every bit of this information to thorougly dis-credit him with their billion dollars of negative adds.

I don't care how good a debater he is, he won't be able to debate himself or apologize himself out of this. Freddie and Fannie are responsible for the many millions we have out of work today, there is no aplogizing for that, an apology just will not cut it.

Newt was being paid as a private citizen to promote them. What would you to expect him to do? He did the job he was paid to do. Too bad congress didn't when they were warned MULTIPLE times. Yet its Newts fault? He did what he was paid to do and it was a legit legal job.

Deal with it.

I don't think anyone is blaming Newt for anything. They just have issues trusting him because he has a questionable background and character.

He did what he was paid to do. That's what people do everyday at work.

Place your blame where it belongs. ON CONGRESS

Again, the issue here isn't blame, but trust.

It's very naive to think that Newt Gingrich has to do nothing but apologize and all will be forgiven because you can bet, the Democrats will use every bit of this information to thorougly dis-credit him with their billion dollars of negative adds.

I don't care how good a debater he is, he won't be able to debate himself or apologize himself out of this. Freddie and Fannie are responsible for the many millions we have out of work today, there is no aplogizing for that, an apology just will not cut it.

Do you make a habit out of quoting and arguing with yourself?

Deal with it.

I don't think anyone is blaming Newt for anything. They just have issues trusting him because he has a questionable background and character.

I am not blaming Newt for making money, but do not get up there in a debate and try to tell me that you warned Freddie when you didn't you were working for them. To all you naive people who support him, do ya think the Democrats won't use this??? Oh yeah they will: 24/7

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi6n_-wB154]Nancy Pelosi and Newt Gingrich Commercial on Climate Change - YouTube[/ame]

What exactly is untrustworthy about representing Freddie?

When a depressed person goes to see a doctor you don't blame the doctor or label them if the person doesn't recover. Businesses seek all kinds of advice from all kinds of advisors on a daily basis. I fail to see the problem.

Deal with it.

I am not blaming Newt for making money, but do not get up there in a debate and try to tell me that you warned Freddie when you didn't you were working for them. To all you naive people who support him, do ya think the Democrats won't use this??? Oh yeah they will: 24/7

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi6n_-wB154]Nancy Pelosi and Newt Gingrich Commercial on Climate Change - YouTube[/ame]

I saw that as an empty attempt to show bipartisanship. Stupid yes, but I see why he did it.

When a depressed person goes to see a doctor you don't blame the doctor or label them if the person doesn't recover. Businesses seek all kinds of advice from all kinds of advisors on a daily basis. I fail to see the problem.

You don't see how anyone can question getting millions of dollars from a company for relatively little work and then turning around to go after that company when it's politically expedient is just a little bit shady?

You don't see how anyone can question getting millions of dollars from a company for relatively little work and then turning around to go after that company when it's politically expedient is just a little bit shady?

Your presuming to know what he did or didn't do during their contract. I make no such assumptions as unlike you I'm not privy to the contents of their meetings.

Maple--I think you may remember a 300K water feasibility study in our state? Newt Gingrich was not an auditor for Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac--he was simply a private sector consultant--not only to them--but to major private sector corporations. He is NOT A LOBBYIST--or you would have right now congressmen and senators jumping out of the woodwork--claiming he was lobbying for Freddie mac.

Does anyone know feasibility study is? There are consultants all over this country--that are hired by towns, states--corporations--small business that are paid for their expertise on certain projects and issues.

For instance--my small town (city council) paid 400K for a feasibility study for a new Walmart--with Walmart splitting the cost on a feasibility study--as far as the cost of new infrastructure--estimates tax revenues and other items that are typically required to do. THE NON DISCLOSURE clause in all of these contracts are so the company that did the study cannot sell the same information to Target--that Walmart and city council paid for. There is nothing crooked about it.

New Gingrich was hired by Freddie Mac due to his expertise with government legislation and Freddie Mac sought out his companies advice on certain issues. HE NEVER approached a congressman or senator to influence their legislative voting powers--he simply advised Freddie Mac. The 1.6 million he received in GROSS sales--was during a 7 year period. He certainly wasn't the auditor for Freddie Mac. He was simply a private citizen giving his expertise to Freddie Mac along with Micro-soft and other corporations. A disclosure statement is standard ] with these type of contracts which protects both parties from release of information that may benefit others that DID NOT pay for the advice--or the study.

Last edited:

Your presuming to know what he did or didn't do during their contract. I make no such assumptions as unlike you I'm not privy to the contents of their meetings.

infrequent meetings, as Newt claims they were, don't exactly convince me that he was doing a heck of alot of advising, which is what he claims he was hired to do.

infrequent meetings, as Newt claims they were, don't exactly convince me that he was doing a heck of alot of advising, which is what he claims he was hired to do.

They hired him, they paid him, they didn't sue him for NOT doing what he was contracted to do.

I fail to see a problem.

The fact that Newt is saying he warned Freddie about the pending doom, when clearly he didn't, he was paid to promote Freddie, not denegrate it and he did nothing to stop the current crisis that we find ourselves in. It's a matter of character and it's a trust issue, Newt has flipped so many times on so many issues that I can't trust him. No Way!!

And then there is this and it is all true. Newt is not electable, he is a great debater, but Obama will NEVER, NOT EVER agree to the debates the Newt wants, he won't. He also knows that should Newt win the nomination, he's got him and he will stroll into the oval office for a second term. He knows this because of all this baggage that Newt has. He is doing back flips and celebrating thinking Newt will win. They are scared to death of Mitt Romney as they spending millions running attacks against him in all the early primary states. Stop being naive and open your eyes here. Newt is a very smooth talker, and he talks his way out of old positions like I have never seen. Fox falls for it all the time. Newt will NOT win the general election.

This is all true, it's a Ron Paul add, and it nails it-- there is more baggage on Newt that will come out, I just hope it's before the nomination and we don't make a huge mistake of nominating him. Because if we do, we are done.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWKTOCP45zY]Newt Gingrich: Serial Hypocrisy - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Forum List

Back