News that does matter and news that doesn't matter. Thanx Fox and the rest of MSM

Nicholas_1982

VIP Member
Jun 20, 2015
So I read this in the paper the other day. It was in the Houston Chronicle (I am a Texan)
Linn Energy files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in oil bust

So I am interested to learn more and I do

Linn Energy CEO Ellis eligible for $6.9M award as company teeters

So I guess if you lead a company into bankruptcy you get a $6.9 million dollar bonus.

This seems like an important story worth following on FOX or MSNBC.

BUT NO, cable news has a better idea.

Debt-Ridden College Once Led by Bernie Sanders' Wife Is Closing

Burlington College is a private college, not state school. Jane Sanders used to head that college and used bond money and loans to try and expand the campus. Now that college is defaulting on $10 million in debt and she becomes a media pariah.

thanx for your wonderful news reporting

Giveaways to oil companies are not news. Something that common place is hardly worth mentioning.

So I read this in the paper the other day. It was in the Houston Chronicle (I am a Texan)

So I guess if you lead a company into bankruptcy you get a $6.9 million dollar bonus.

Burlington College is a private college, not state school. Jane Sanders used to head that college and used bond money and loans to try and expand the campus. Now that college is defaulting on $10 million in debt and she becomes a media pariah.

Chapter 11 is a reorganization, not a dissolution. They'll get back on their feet, usually smaller, but they aren't going away.

Chapter 11 is a reorganization, not a dissolution. They'll get back on their feet, usually smaller, but they aren't going away.

Correct me if I am wrong please. As I understand bankruptcy, a court revalues your debt at a lower amount and then that new, lower debt amount is payed back in a restructured loan. Also, the company has to make certain "cuts" or guarantees to get the restructured loan.

You obviously have a great sense of humor.

The problem is that sarcasm does not translate to the written page. One of my favorite authors, Earnest Hemmingway, was a master of the craft. I've only been on this forum for a couple of weeks but I've not met any Earnest Hemingways here yet.

You obviously have a great sense of humor.

The problem is that sarcasm does not translate to the written page. One of my favorite authors, Earnest Hemmingway, was a master of the craft. I've only been on this forum for a couple of weeks but I've not met any Earnest Hemingways here yet.
One of your favorite authors first name is Ernest, not Earnest.

Correct me if I am wrong please. As I understand bankruptcy, a court revalues your debt at a lower amount and then that new, lower debt amount is payed back in a restructured loan. Also, the company has to make certain "cuts" or guarantees to get the restructured loan.

That's not necessarily the case, it mostly depends on the facts of the case, usually the debt is just restructured to pay out over a longer period of time to allow the company to keep operating.

That's not necessarily the case, it mostly depends on the facts of the case, usually the debt is just restructured to pay out over a longer period of time to allow the company to keep operating.

Why wouldn't the debt holder demand that bonuses we used to pay back the debt? I don't understand how your company can go into bankruptcy yet you pay out performance based bonuses/incentives

Why wouldn't the debt holder demand that bonuses we used to pay back the debt? I don't understand how your company can go into bankruptcy yet you pay out performance based bonuses/incentives

People holding the debt can demand anything they want, it's up to the judge to decide what happens in the restructure. Neither of know the facts of the case to have any real idea what might happen. My first question would be, was the bonus paid before of after the filing? Were the the bonuses deferred contractual obligations or performance based? I could ask many more, but I doubt you have the answers.

Forum List

Back