News Junkies

Skull Pilot

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2007
News is bad for you – and giving up reading it will make you happier

Think twice

“I don’t know a single truly creative mind who is a news junkie — not a writer, not a composer, mathematician, physician, scientist, musician, designer, architect or painter. On the other hand, I know a bunch of viciously uncreative minds who consume news like drugs. If you want to come up with old solutions, read news. If you are looking for new solutions, don’t.”

I have given up my daily news fix for about 8 weeks now

The only daily news I indulge in is the weather forecast I ignore everything else

And I have to say I'm a happier person for it

Think twice

“I don’t know a single truly creative mind who is a news junkie — not a writer, not a composer, mathematician, physician, scientist, musician, designer, architect or painter. On the other hand, I know a bunch of viciously uncreative minds who consume news like drugs. If you want to come up with old solutions, read news. If you are looking for new solutions, don’t.”

The only daily news I indulge in is the weather forecast I ignore everything else

Also less informed.

I am a writer, artist, sculptor and CG figure designer. I devour news. Whether it affects me personally or not is irrelevant; it forms a worldview more correct than that formed by ignorance. I am perfectly happy.

I never heard of "Rolf Dobelli". Is he important in some way?

Think twice

I'm going to say that is probably elite propaganda.

Ever since the invention of the internet, the elites have been having a problem, and that is an informed electorate.

Back in the old days, they used to control the flow of information. It used to be easier, they would just control the paradigm, plant stories, or just make up lies.

If they wanted to, they could completely control folks perception of events. I have to admit, before the internet, I was fooled, many times. Now I have more reliable new sources and journalists I can cross reference and trust to find out the truth.

High-Level American Officials Admit that the United States Uses False Flag Terror ... And Warn of Future Attacks Washington's Blog

But I do understand your point...

I will go for long periods, sometimes weeks at a time with out tuning in. For folks that want to find out the truth, you have to ACTIVELY seek it out. You have to go look in certain places to find out what is going on and why certain events are taking place.

But it is better to stay abreast of the situation than to have things take you by surprise. Rulers always love an ignorant population, they are easy to manipulate.

Naturally a media piece put out by the Royal Institute of International Affairs is going to tell folks to tune out. :badgrin:

I'm sure in ancient Rome the Senators told the plebs all they needed was bread and circuses as well. . . .

On the whole, I agree with this piece. Most of the news I consume is of this type. . . .

Society needs journalism – but in a different way. Investigative journalism is always relevant. We need reporting that polices our institutions and uncovers truth. But important findings don't have to arrive in the form of news. Long journal articles and in-depth books are good, too.

Think twice

Also less informed.

I am a writer, artist, sculptor and CG figure designer. I devour news. Whether it affects me personally or not is irrelevant; it forms a worldview more correct than that formed by ignorance. I am perfectly happy.

I never heard of "Rolf Dobelli". Is he important in some way?

Informed as to what?

Some tragedy halfway around the world that I can do nothing about?

And why do you assume i am ignorant because I don't mainline news 24/7?

Anything I need to know can be known in a few minutes of reading once a week

And look Rolf up if you want?

I don't feel the need to dissect the life and views of every person that says something I can make up my own mind if what he says is worth considering or not

Think twice

I'm going to say that is probably elite propaganda.

Ever since the invention of the internet, the elites have been having a problem, and that is an informed electorate.

Back in the old days, they used to control the flow of information. It used to be easier, they would just control the paradigm, plant stories, or just make up lies.

If they wanted to, they could completely control folks perception of events. I have to admit, before the internet, I was fooled, many times. Now I have more reliable new sources and journalists I can cross reference and trust to find out the truth.

High-Level American Officials Admit that the United States Uses False Flag Terror ... And Warn of Future Attacks Washington's Blog

But I do understand your point...

I will go for long periods, sometimes weeks at a time with out tuning in. For folks that want to find out the truth, you have to ACTIVELY seek it out. You have to go look in certain places to find out what is going on and why certain events are taking place.

But it is better to stay abreast of the situation than to have things take you by surprise. Rulers always love an ignorant population, they are easy to manipulate.

Naturally a media piece put out by the Royal Institute of International Affairs is going to tell folks to tune out. :badgrin:

I'm sure in ancient Rome the Senators told the plebs all they needed was bread and circuses as well. . . .

On the whole, I agree with this piece. Most of the news I consume is of this type. . . .

Society needs journalism – but in a different way. Investigative journalism is always relevant. We need reporting that polices our institutions and uncovers truth. But important findings don't have to arrive in the form of news. Long journal articles and in-depth books are good, too.

Unfortunately most of what people call being informed is naught but the opinion of some talking head on some commentary show that is mistaken for news

Informed as to what?

The state of the planet you live on.

The planet?

I know the state of the planet

We are located in an arm of the Milky Way and are currently orbiting around a medium sized yellow star we named Sol.

And tell me how does knowing who got killed an Pakistan in a terrorist attack improve your life or have anything to do with the planet?

Unfortunately most of what people call being informed is naught but the opinion of some talking head on some commentary show that is mistaken for news

That is true of those who refrain from personal research of that reported or commented upon.

Knowledge is power. Ignorance is weakness.

That is true of those who refrain from personal research of that reported or commented upon.

Knowledge is power. Ignorance is weakness.
And what power have you gained by being glued to the news?

I know what I have gained by not being a news junkie anymore

Informed as to what?

The planet?

We are located in an arm of the Milky Way and are currently orbiting around a medium sized yellow star we named Sol.

No. That is the location of the planet, not the state of it.

And tell me how does knowing who got killed an Pakistan in a terrorist attack improve your life or have anything to do with the planet?

1) Increased knowledge of human nature and behavior

2) The Domino Effect.

Informed as to what?

The planet?

2) The Domino Effect.

I know everything I need to know about human behavior

People in general are violent, panicky and down right dangerous and prone to following rather than leading
A person on the other hand is a completely different matter

The Domino effect theory that was used by the US government to kill 55K soldiers for nothing in Vietnam you mean?

Informed as to what?

The planet?

2) The Domino Effect.
The Domino Effect?

Someone has been brainwashed and been watching too much news methinks.

Informed as to what?

The planet?

2) The Domino Effect.

People in general are violent, panicky and down right dangerous and prone to following rather than leading

The Domino effect theory that was used by the US government to kill 55K soldiers for nothing in Vietnam you mean?

How silly.

DOMINO EFFECT: A cumulative effect produced when one event sets off a chain of similar events

Informed as to what?

The planet?

2) The Domino Effect.

How silly.

DOMINO EFFECT: A cumulative effect produced when one event sets off a chain of similar events

You're obviously too young or ignorant to know that the domino theory was the main rationalization for getting into Vietnam.

And most of the time the domino theory is used to fool the sheep into believing the latest government lie

The planet?

2) The Domino Effect.

How silly.

You're obviously too young or ignorant to know that the domino theory was the main rationalization for getting into Vietnam.

And most of the time the domino theory is used to fool the sheep into believing the latest government lie

I see definitions elude you, even when given.

Forum List

Back