New York Charges Rent for Working Homeless

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by NOBama, May 17, 2009.

1. NOBama

NOBama Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +173
    As a result (allegedly), women from low income families that are breaking-up are filing false accusations of domestic violence charges. Notably, domestic violence shelters DO NOT charge rent.

This is a real problem, not only for the domestic violence shelters, but for the men being falsely accused of domestic violence.

2. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    The lack of affordable housing in New York problem is a fairly good example that disproves the theory that the market can solve all social ills.

The market can solve many problems and often does. The market is an engine which creates wealth.

But social ills are not the concern of the market.

So if the market blindly causes social problems in order to satisfy its mandate to make as much profit as possible, the market is perfectly sanguine if it actually CREATES social problems, too.

It is the business of goverment to keep society going such that the market and the people in it can continue to do what they do.

Without government there can be no market.

Without some kind of market, no government can thrive, either

It's a symbiotic relationship these two apparently conflicting entities are forever locked in.

When we get confused and think government should act like the market, society does less well than it could.

When we get confused and think government should become the market, society also does less well that it could.

Finding that balance between market forces and the political forces is always going be something that we tinker with.

In this case, the government is trying to act like the market.

It is becoming a landlord and I think we all suspect that the government won't do that very well.

But the market completely failed those people, too, didn't it?

The market could not create housing for people working for too little money (also a market function) so the government stepped in to mitigate that social problem.

Are those people going to get their money's worth with the government acting as a landlord?

I rather doubt it.

Is what they are getting better than what the market was willing to give them?

You bet it is.

The market couldn't give them anything, could it?

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  3. NOBama

NOBama Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +173
    OMG, the HOUSING MARKET is responsibile for domestic violence, false accusations of domestic violence, and divorce in America! I should have known. :lol:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618

It is?

News to me, NO.

Why do you think the housing market is responsible for domestic violence, false accusations of domestic violence, and divorce in America?

I think you're wrong about that.

5. NOBama

NOBama Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +173
    You gotta be kidding me. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt using "HOUSING" market, in my reply to your attempt to derail this thread. I think you've gone completely nutz if your trying to imply that the financial markets are responsibile for the subject matter of this thread.

The fact that NY homeless centers are charging rent from the working homeless is but a secondary concern to me. The real concern to ME is that men are FALSELY being accused of domestic violence by their estranged spouse so they can get a FREE RIDE at a DV shelter.

How would you like to be falsely accused of domestic violence, Ed? In the family court system all a woman has to do is make the allegation of domestic violence, disproving that allegation is on the accused. That’s how our unconstitutional family court system works, Ed.

6. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618

7. Nik

Nik Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Care to provide some evidence thats how housing court works?

8. NOBama

NOBama Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +173

9. NOBama

NOBama Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Why don't you try reading the article since that's what the thread is about.

10. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    ... and? ...

Many of our shelters charge rent, 5 bucks a week for one hot and a cot, to offset their expenses so they can remain open. It costs money to house and feed people.