New year's Resolution - Weight Loss

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Just a quick and obnoxious note on weight-loss resolutions.

If you think you are going to lose weight by exercise, you need a reality check.

It ain't happening.

For all practical purposes, you simply cannot lose a measurable quantity of weight through exercise. Do the math: let's say you exercise vigorously for half an hour, four times a week. (Don't kid yourself; if you are seriously exerting yourself, a half hour will exhaust you). Each session will "burn" about 100 calories over your basal rate. That's 400 calories a week. There are 3,500 calories in a pound. So after nine weeks, you will theoretically have burned off a single pound. But that assumes that the exercise hasn't increased your appetite. As a practical matter, by that time you have realized that you aren't losing any weight on this exercise program, so you quit.

Parenthetically, you have to make sure you are not measuring water loss through perspiration as weight loss. This is not as common now as it used to be since people neurotically drink gallons of water when they exercise. This is also stupid and unnecessary, but that's a subject for another thread.

There is no doubt that exercise, when coupled with a diet, can ASSIST in weight loss by maintaining normal metabolism. In my case, it also helps because the time you spend in exercise is not available for casual snacking.

So wear out that new exercise machine you got for Christmas, but don't expect the weight to fall off like the advertisement claims. It's all B.S.

I beg to differ. Vigorous exercise WILL make you loose weight if the puddles of sweat beneath our foreheads in basic were any indication :)

I beg to differ. Vigorous exercise WILL make you loose weight if the puddles of sweat beneath our foreheads in basic were any indication :)

Yeah, but most people don't exercise anywhere near the amount and intensity that is done in basic training. So they want to ride their new elipitical rider for a half-hour a day but continue to eat as they please, and think they'll lose weight. It won't happen. You have to curb the eating also.

DGS49 is right. And it's simple math.

Last summer, I lost 10 lbs in 10 days. Exercise, eat less, eat better. Oh- and no booze. I've gained more than that back since then LOL. It's work and sacrifice. Mind over matter, will power, etc. It's very doable.

I have lost about 25 pounds (from 285 to 260) and kept it off since my heart attack in Jan 2009, five years ago. This was accomplished by increasing exercise, decreasing calorie intake, and avoiding liquid calories like milk shakes and full calorie drinks.

I am a slacker and I know some fellows that have lost a lot more than me over the same period of time, while I am still obese according to the BMI standard.

My exercise was nothing spectacular; I walk at least 2 miles a day, five days a week. Walking burns calories better than aerobic exercise.

Since December 7, my doctor put me on a Gluten free diet and told me to not eat MSG. He also told me about how mice are made fat for lab experiments by giving them MSG without increasing their food amounts.

So I have cut out all Gluten and MSG and lost 10 more pounds in this one month. My waist is down to 39.5 inches for the first time in decades.
I have seen lower blood sugar and other symptoms.

Don't eat Gluten and MSG, don't eat liquid calories, and walk 10 miles a week, and just see how much better you feel and watch the weight drop off you without killing yourself.

http://drbj.hubpages.com/hub/MSG-Fat-Rats-and-Us

there are few types of rats or mice that are naturally obese so scientists have to create them. How do you make a rat fat? How do you create oversize mice? It’s not at all difficult. When these rodents are first born, scientists inject them with a chemical that triples the amount of insulin created by the pancreas. This causes rats and mice to become morbidly obese.

I know you are waiting for me to get to the point. O.K. What is the name of the chemical they use? MSG. Monosodium Glutamate. They have even given a name to the race of fat rodents they have created: “MSG-Treated-Rats.”

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...-food-additive-now-linked-to-weight-gain.aspx

Reuters reports:

"In the latest research ... [scientists] followed more than 10,000 adults in China for about 5.5 years on average. The researchers measured MSG intake directly by before-and-after weighing of products, such as bottles of soy sauce, to see how much people ate ... Men and women who ate the most MSG (a median of 5 grams a day) were about 30 percent more likely to become overweight by the end of the study".

http://www.processedfreeamerica.org...ew-2011-study-confirms-msg-causes-weight-gain

A new study published in the June 2011 issue of The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, confirms these findings once again. Ka He, a nutrition expert at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, who led the study, said that although the risk of weight gain attributable to MSG was modest, the implications for public health are substantial. "Everybody eats it," He told Reuters Health.

The study demonstrated that the more MSG you consume, the more likely you are to be overweight or obese. This holds true even if your intake of calories and exercise habits are the same as those who don't consume MSG. Researchers followed more than 10,000 adults in China for 5½ years, measuring their MSG intake and asking them to estimate how much they consumed over three 24-hour periods. Results showed that individuals whose daily MSG intake was highest (about five grams) were about 30 percent more likely to become overweight by the end of the study than those who consumed the least MSG (less than half a gram daily).

MSG is not just in Chinese food, so you may not realize that you're consuming it on a regular basis. Monosodium glutamate is just one name that you may see on an ingredient list. Sometimes food manufacturers get really sneaky and use the "E number" on the ingredient list instead of the name. E numbers are number codes for food additives that have been assessed for use within the European Union (E stands for Europe). The E number for MSG is E621.

This food additive shows up in many foods, even "healthy" foods, under many other different names. Here's a list of names of additives that contain plenty of MSG: Hydrolyzed yeast, Hydrolyzed protein, "Anything" hydrolyzed, Textured protein, Calcium caseinate, Sodium caseinate, Yeast extract, Gelatin, Maldtodextrin, Textured soy protein, Autolyzed yeast, Natural flavorings, Seasonings, Bullion, stocks and broths. I recently read an ingredient list from a "healthy" soup mix that contains "yeast extract," yet the label claimed "No MSG".

http://www.insidershealth.com/artic..._your_diet_and_slim_down_in_the_new_year/2441

It only makes sense to investigate if there is a link between MSG in foods and obesity since the timing of adding MSG to foods coincides with the beginning of the nation’s collective growing waistline.

MSG and Lab Rats
Scientists already acknowledge there is a cause and effect relationship between MSG and weight gain in laboratory mice and rats. In the scientific study of drugs and conditions associated with diabetes and other weight-related diseases, it is necessary to create obese mice. Here’s the problem -- mice never become obese on their own. So, a method was developed to create “fat rats” by using MSG. The exact reason for the resulting obesity effect is not understood, but mice and rats fed MSG in large doses as babies grow up to be obese adults. They are even called by some researchers as “MSG-treated” mice.

So, there is a documented link between obesity and MSG in test animals, but does that translate to humans?

MSG and Humans
There have been several efforts to prove a link between MSG and obesity in humans. One area of society that is the reverse of normal thinking on this subject is elder care facilities. One of the problems with many of the senior citizens in these facilities is that they often cannot maintain a healthy weight and grow thinner with each passing year. In one study, researchers followed a large sample of elderly individuals to see what happened when MSG was added to their food in a controlled way. The results indicated an average weight gain for each of the MSG-enhanced food participants and a weight loss for the others.

Ignore the MSG food industries BS counter-propaganda.

MSG is poison and puts weight/fat on you like a Mad Scientist fatting you up for the Martians, lol.

Last edited:
I do know one thing, I am actually glad that I have been overweight in my life because it makes me appreciate the sheer joy and well-being associated with a healthy weight!

I'm 61 years old and my weight is up a little from the holidays. Well, let's not blame the holidays, my weight is up a little because I quit disciplining myself. But if I drop just 10-12 pounds I will feel reborn. It is quite amazing how good weight loss can feel both physically and psychologically!

Forum List

Back