New Year’s Resolutions For Climate Scientists

Why don't you ask some therapsids about that?
They did GREAT when it was hot. Too bad the dinosaurs were more efficient then they were. Of course they shrank in size and eventually evolved into the first mammals, so I guess in the long run they did damned well.

Moron!

Like all land animals, the therapsids were seriously affected by the Permian–Triassic extinction event, with the very successful gorgonopsians dying out altogether.

The Permian-Triassic extinction event is scientifically linked to the release of methane from methane clathrates and the release of CO2 from the Siberian Traps volcanic eruptions.

No, it's not. The PT extinction is an automatic PhD for the first person to really figure out what happened. The SO2 that was emitted by the flood basalts would DWARF whatever methane was released and cause worldwide COLD that is the most likely cause of the extinction.

Nice try silly person but third grade insults ain't going to cut it here.

Posted on December 28, 2011 by Steven Goddard
I will admit that warming has been much slower than we expected
I will admit that recent sea level rise is nothing unusual or threatening
I will admit that our forecasts of declining snow cover were wrong
I will admit that Arctic temperatures are cyclical, and that we have no idea what will happen to Arctic ice over the next 50 years
I will admit that our forecasts of Antarctic warming have been a total failure.
I will admit that Polar Bear populations are not threatened
I will admit that climate models have demonstrated no skill, and are nothing more than research projects
I will admit there was a Medieval Warm Period
I will admit that that there was a Little Ice Age
I will stop pretending that we don’t have climate records prior to 1970
I will admit that the surface temperature record has been manipulated and is contaminated by UHI
I will stop making up data where none exists
I will honestly face skeptics in open debate.
I will quit trying to stop skeptics from being published
I will admit that glaciers have been disappearing for hundreds or thousands of years
I will stop telling people that the climate is getting more extreme, without producing any evidence
I will admit that hurricanes are on the decline
I will admit that severe tornadoes are on the decline
I will admit that droughts were much worse in the past
I will admit that efforts to shut down power plants have potentially very serious consequences for the future
I will pay for my own tickets to tropical climate boondoggles like Cancun, rather than improperly using taxpayer money for political activism
I will admit that there is no missing heat
I will admit that temperatures have been cooling for at least the last decade
I will publish the raw data and not lose it.
etc. etc. etc.

hahahaha, I got a good laugh out of those. anybody want to add to the list?

I will admit that only a measly 6% of scientists are Republican.
I will admit Republicans want to include the occult in public schools.
I will admit Republicans think science is a faith.
I will admit Republicans think evolution is a lie.
I will admit Republicans think Climate Change is a conspiracy.
I will admit the majority of Republicans think scientists do nothing for the country.

I like all this "honesty". It's so refreshing.

I will admit that Arctic temperatures are cyclical, and that we have no idea what will happen to Arctic ice over the next 50 years
I will admit that climate models have demonstrated no skill, and are nothing more than research projects
I will admit that the surface temperature record has been manipulated and is contaminated by UHI
I will admit that glaciers have been disappearing for hundreds or thousands of years
I will stop telling people that the climate is getting more extreme, without producing any evidence
I will admit that efforts to shut down power plants have potentially very serious consequences for the future
I will pay for my own tickets to tropical climate boondoggles like Cancun, rather than improperly using taxpayer money for political activism
etc. etc. etc.

I will admit the majority of Republicans think scientists do nothing for the country.

You have all this going for you, and your lying scientists still have to fake up the data to try to prove their claims.
You have all this going for you and you've failed to convince the American people that we should spend trillions to stop "climate change".
LOL! Fucking pussies couldn't stick with "global warming"

etc. etc. etc.

You have all this going for you, and your lying scientists still have to fake up the data to try to prove their claims.
You have all this going for you and you've failed to convince the American people that we should spend trillions to stop "climate change".

Yea, those lying scientists. Can't get anything right. Not like right wingers who have been right on everything from Iraq to Katrina to Magical Creation.

Yea, those lying scientists. Can't get anything right. Not like right wingers who have been right on everything from Iraq to Katrina to Magical Creation.

Yes, your scientists are so smart they mandated MTBE be added to gasoline to clear the air. Only problem was it poisoned the water wells and caused untold billions of dollars in environmental damage.

I rather like this honesty. It bites them right in the ass every time!

etc. etc. etc.

I think its funny that you hate Republicans and conservatives so much. It is obvious that there are good people (and some bad) in both the Republican and Democratic Parties, in conservative and liberal groups, so it must be something else with you. perhaps you can't bring yourself to admit that you hate your dad so you just use Republicans as a proxy? I'm just speculating because I know nothing about you other than your compulsive and exaggerated hatred for republicans. it kinda reminds me of Serbs and Croats who hate each other with a passion but other people can't even tell them apart

They did GREAT when it was hot. Too bad the dinosaurs were more efficient then they were. Of course they shrank in size and eventually evolved into the first mammals, so I guess in the long run they did damned well.

Moron!

Like all land animals, the therapsids were seriously affected by the Permian–Triassic extinction event, with the very successful gorgonopsians dying out altogether.

The Permian-Triassic extinction event is scientifically linked to the release of methane from methane clathrates and the release of CO2 from the Siberian Traps volcanic eruptions.
No, it's not. The PT extinction is an automatic PhD for the first person to really figure out what happened. The SO2 that was emitted by the flood basalts would DWARF whatever methane was released and cause worldwide COLD that is the most likely cause of the extinction.

Nor is your third grade misunderstanding of science, twit.

Permian–Triassic extinction event
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Causes of the extinction event

Methane hydrate gasification

Scientists have found worldwide evidence of a swift decrease of about 10% in the 13C/12C isotope ratio in carbonate rocks from the end-Permian.[46][99] This is the first, largest and most rapid of a series of negative and positive excursions (decreases and increases in 13C/12C ratio) that continues until the isotope ratio abruptly stabilises in the middle Triassic, followed soon afterwards by the recovery of calcifying life forms (organisms that use calcium carbonate to build hard parts such as shells).[13]

A variety of factors may have contributed to this drop in the 13C/12C ratio, but most turn out to be insufficient to account fully for it:[100]

* Gases from volcanic eruptions have a 13C/12C ratio about 5 to 8 ‰ below standard (δ13C about −5 to −8 ‰). But the amount required to produce a reduction of about 10 ‰ worldwide requires eruptions greater by orders of magnitude than any for which evidence has been found.[101]
* A reduction in organic activity would extract 12C more slowly from the environment and leave more of it to be incorporated into sediments, thus reducing the 13C/12C ratio. Biochemical processes use the lighter isotopes, since chemical reactions are ultimately driven by electromagnetic forces between atoms and lighter isotopes respond more quickly to these forces. But a study of a smaller drop of 3 to 4 ‰ in 13C/12C (δ13C −3 to −4 ‰) at the Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum (PETM) concluded that even transferring all the organic carbon (in organisms, soils, and dissolved in the ocean) into sediments would be insufficient: even such a large burial of material rich in 12C would not have produced the smaller drop in the 13C/12C ratio of the rocks around the PETM.[101]
* Buried sedimentary organic matter has a 13C/12C ratio 20 to 25 ‰ below normal (δ13C −20 to −25 ‰). Theoretically, if the sea level fell sharply, shallow marine sediments would be exposed to oxidization. But 6,500–8,400 gigatons (1 gigaton = 109 metric tons) of organic carbon would have to be oxidized and returned to the ocean-atmosphere system within less than a few hundred thousand years to reduce the 13C/12C ratio by 10 ‰. This is not thought to be a realistic possibility.[7]
* Rather than a sudden decline in sea level, intermittent periods of ocean-bottom hyperoxia and anoxia (high-oxygen and low- / zero-oxygen conditions) may have caused the 13C/12C ratio fluctuations in the Early Triassic;[13] and global anoxia may have been responsible for the end-Permian blip. The continents of the end-Permian and early Triassic were more clustered in the tropics than they are now (see map above), and large tropical rivers would have dumped sediment into smaller, partially enclosed ocean basins in low latitudes. Such conditions favor oxic and anoxic episodes; oxic / anoxic conditions would result in a rapid release / burial respectively of large amounts of organic carbon, which has a low 13C/12C ratio because biochemical processes use the lighter isotopes.[102] This, or another organic-based reason, may have been responsible for both this and a late Proterozoic/Cambrian pattern of fluctuating 13C/12C ratios.[13]

Other hypotheses include mass oceanic poisoning releasing vast amounts of CO2[103] and a long-term reorganisation of the global carbon cycle.[100]

However, only one sufficiently powerful cause has been proposed for the global 10 ‰ reduction in the 13C/12C ratio: the release of methane from methane clathrates;[7] and carbon-cycle models confirm that it would have been sufficient to produce the observed reduction.[100][103] Methane clathrates, also known as methane hydrates, consist of methane molecules trapped in cages of water molecules. The methane is produced by methanogens (microscopic single-celled organisms) and has a 13C/12C ratio about 60 ‰ below normal (δ13C −60 ‰). At the right combination of pressure and temperature it gets trapped in clathrates fairly close to the surface of permafrost and in much larger quantities at continental margins (continental shelves and the deeper seabed close to them). Oceanic methane hydrates are usually found buried in sediments where the seawater is at least 300 metres (980 ft) deep. They can be found up to about 2,000 metres (6,600 ft) below the sea floor, but usually only about 1,100 metres (3,600 ft) below the sea floor.[104]

The area covered by lava from the Siberian Traps eruptions is about twice as large as was originally thought, and most of the additional area was shallow sea at the time. It is very likely that the seabed contained methane hydrate deposits and that the lava caused the deposits to dissociate, releasing vast quantities of methane.[105]

One would expect a vast release of methane to cause significant global warming, since methane is a very powerful greenhouse gas. There is strong evidence that global temperatures increased by about 6 °C (10.8 °F) near the equator and therefore by more at higher latitudes: a sharp decrease in oxygen isotope ratios (18O/16O);[106] the extinction of Glossopteris flora (Glossopteris and plants that grew in the same areas), which needed a cold climate, and its replacement by floras typical of lower paleolatitudes.[12][107]

LOLOL.....yes, you're right, "totally irrelevant, rather deranged and utterly meaningless drivel" does "pretty much sum up" your responses to my posts. A rare and I'm sure fleeting moment of honesty from you and hilarious to boot. Kudos, walleyed.

Mid 50s in Chicago today.
If this is global warming, bring it on!
It sure beats destroying our economy to reduce CO2 emissions to the point where
temperatures will be 0.2 degrees cooler in 2080.
Give it up, we're not going to spend trillions to make you feel better.

Your utter cluelessness is pretty funny, toadster, but still very retarded. You really have no idea what is going on.

Luckily, you're here to tell us. Proceed.

Why don't you ask some therapsids about that?

Moron!

Scientifically linked?

I am scientifically linked to the Universe. Did I, therefore, cause the Universe?

In today's world, volcanoes have a net cooling effect due both to the dust and the sulfur among other things.

Were the volcanoes that you cite in this example from a different planet or something?

You'll have to help me out here.

How did the evil Republicans convince the noble Democrats to take the money earmarked for the improvement of the dikes and divert it to the pet projects that they ultimately spent it on?

Why did the noble and scientific Democrats not allocate more money for the flood prevention systems than was allocated? Science must have pointed to oncoming problems and they must certainly have employed their best efforts to counteract the problems that they say they knew would occur.

Why did the noble and scientific Democrats not assure that every single person's safety was protected given the obvious threats that they tell us they so clearly foresaw?

Given the "fact' that the Democrats are both very smart and absolutely committed to the scientific method in all that they do, why do they never make a budget, always fail to plan, never provide a workable solution to any problem they continuously harp on and always blame anything to avoid actually working?

They act more like spoiled little girls than "scientists".

DNC: Does Not Compute.

Moron!

Scientists have found worldwide evidence of a swift decrease of about 10% in the 13C/12C isotope ratio in carbonate rocks from the end-Permian.[46][99] This is the first, largest and most rapid of a series of negative and positive excursions (decreases and increases in 13C/12C ratio) that continues until the isotope ratio abruptly stabilises in the middle Triassic, followed soon afterwards by the recovery of calcifying life forms (organisms that use calcium carbonate to build hard parts such as shells).[13]

A variety of factors may have contributed to this drop in the 13C/12C ratio, but most turn out to be insufficient to account fully for it:[100]

* Gases from volcanic eruptions have a 13C/12C ratio about 5 to 8 ‰ below standard (δ13C about −5 to −8 ‰). But the amount required to produce a reduction of about 10 ‰ worldwide requires eruptions greater by orders of magnitude than any for which evidence has been found.[101]
* A reduction in organic activity would extract 12C more slowly from the environment and leave more of it to be incorporated into sediments, thus reducing the 13C/12C ratio. Biochemical processes use the lighter isotopes, since chemical reactions are ultimately driven by electromagnetic forces between atoms and lighter isotopes respond more quickly to these forces. But a study of a smaller drop of 3 to 4 ‰ in 13C/12C (δ13C −3 to −4 ‰) at the Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum (PETM) concluded that even transferring all the organic carbon (in organisms, soils, and dissolved in the ocean) into sediments would be insufficient: even such a large burial of material rich in 12C would not have produced the smaller drop in the 13C/12C ratio of the rocks around the PETM.[101]
* Buried sedimentary organic matter has a 13C/12C ratio 20 to 25 ‰ below normal (δ13C −20 to −25 ‰). Theoretically, if the sea level fell sharply, shallow marine sediments would be exposed to oxidization. But 6,500–8,400 gigatons (1 gigaton = 109 metric tons) of organic carbon would have to be oxidized and returned to the ocean-atmosphere system within less than a few hundred thousand years to reduce the 13C/12C ratio by 10 ‰. This is not thought to be a realistic possibility.[7]
* Rather than a sudden decline in sea level, intermittent periods of ocean-bottom hyperoxia and anoxia (high-oxygen and low- / zero-oxygen conditions) may have caused the 13C/12C ratio fluctuations in the Early Triassic;[13] and global anoxia may have been responsible for the end-Permian blip. The continents of the end-Permian and early Triassic were more clustered in the tropics than they are now (see map above), and large tropical rivers would have dumped sediment into smaller, partially enclosed ocean basins in low latitudes. Such conditions favor oxic and anoxic episodes; oxic / anoxic conditions would result in a rapid release / burial respectively of large amounts of organic carbon, which has a low 13C/12C ratio because biochemical processes use the lighter isotopes.[102] This, or another organic-based reason, may have been responsible for both this and a late Proterozoic/Cambrian pattern of fluctuating 13C/12C ratios.[13]

Other hypotheses include mass oceanic poisoning releasing vast amounts of CO2[103] and a long-term reorganisation of the global carbon cycle.[100]

However, only one sufficiently powerful cause has been proposed for the global 10 ‰ reduction in the 13C/12C ratio: the release of methane from methane clathrates;[7] and carbon-cycle models confirm that it would have been sufficient to produce the observed reduction.[100][103] Methane clathrates, also known as methane hydrates, consist of methane molecules trapped in cages of water molecules. The methane is produced by methanogens (microscopic single-celled organisms) and has a 13C/12C ratio about 60 ‰ below normal (δ13C −60 ‰). At the right combination of pressure and temperature it gets trapped in clathrates fairly close to the surface of permafrost and in much larger quantities at continental margins (continental shelves and the deeper seabed close to them). Oceanic methane hydrates are usually found buried in sediments where the seawater is at least 300 metres (980 ft) deep. They can be found up to about 2,000 metres (6,600 ft) below the sea floor, but usually only about 1,100 metres (3,600 ft) below the sea floor.[104]

The area covered by lava from the Siberian Traps eruptions is about twice as large as was originally thought, and most of the additional area was shallow sea at the time. It is very likely that the seabed contained methane hydrate deposits and that the lava caused the deposits to dissociate, releasing vast quantities of methane.[105]

One would expect a vast release of methane to cause significant global warming, since methane is a very powerful greenhouse gas. There is strong evidence that global temperatures increased by about 6 °C (10.8 °F) near the equator and therefore by more at higher latitudes: a sharp decrease in oxygen isotope ratios (18O/16O);[106] the extinction of Glossopteris flora (Glossopteris and plants that grew in the same areas), which needed a cold climate, and its replacement by floras typical of lower paleolatitudes.[12][107]

Earth to Rolling Thunder: First, you're an immature and impudent child with little grasp of how to communicate to those around you.

Second, you are comparing the Permian-Triassic world to the world of today, and it might as well be a different planet. There was only one land mass, only one ocean. CO2 was at a concentration of about 1500ppm. Acid rain was falling continuously for millions of years.

This occurred a little before the Industrial Revolution. I add this as a side note.

The area that we call Siberia is today a sub arctic wasteland and was then a pretty normal area except that it had been subject to millions of years of volcanic activity that left 200,000 square kilometers covered with lava flows. Take away the pan handle and that's about the area of Texas.

Because the continents had all collided into one clump of land the resulting pressures caused the volcanism and probably the outgassing of the calthrates that you and Rocks are so gripped by. It's possible that in the 4 billion year life of the planet that some extra terrestrial event wiped away the ozone layer and that also could have happened at that time.

Combine that with all of the immunities developed by the various species in isolation suddenly being attacked by all of the diseases from all of the colliding continents and you have a pretty good population of extinction level catastrophes occurring at the same geological moment in the planet's history.

You see only one. Interesting case of myopia.

Any example from that period of time is hardly comparable to today's world.

Last edited:

Dems voted for Iraq, didn't they?
AFAIK, the other 2 things you're whining about aren't going to cost us trillions, weaken the economy and not do any good. Nice try though. :lol:

41058656460a86577b8194d85867-3.jpg
Delusional.jpg

Oh, kookster, you poor imbecile, even when you imagine that you're "winning", you're still retarded.....

s0n........I dont think you made that font large enough!!!:D

Still cant find that link, huh??

bomb_thrower2-8.jpg

Mid 50s in Chicago today.
If this is global warming, bring it on!
It sure beats destroying our economy to reduce CO2 emissions to the point where
temperatures will be 0.2 degrees cooler in 2080.
Give it up, we're not going to spend trillions to make you feel better.

Your utter cluelessness is pretty funny, toadster, but still very retarded. You really have no idea what is going on.

We're all gonna DIE!!! unless we embrace global socialism!!

Right, RT?

We're all gonna DIE!!! unless we embrace global socialism!!

Right, RT?

DAve.......lmao......RT.........from now on, he will be referred to as RT!!!:D

And Daveman..........dollar to 1,000 stale donuts this cheesedick was picked last for the team and stood in the corner at the party with his thumb up his ass!!! Most of these far left intenet hero dweebs are social invalids. This board is the only place where they can get a thimble full of attention. Do I hit the nail on the head or do I hit the nail on the head?

Last edited:

Moron!

Scientifically linked?
A phrase you obviously can't comprehend, you poor deluded uneducated retard.

I am scientifically linked to the Universe. Did I, therefore, cause the Universe?
Too stupid for words. When you don't understand what people are talking about, you say the dumbest things.

In today's world, volcanoes have a net cooling effect due both to the dust and the sulfur among other things.

Were the volcanoes that you cite in this example from a different planet or something?
Yes, code4stupid, the volcanic eruptions I was referring to were indeed on a very different planet. That would be the Earth of 250 million years ago, which you obviously know nothing about. Moreover, the flood basalt volcanic eruptions now called the 'Siberian Traps' were very unlike the kind of modern day volcanoes you're referring to, which do cause a net cooling effect. The Siberian Traps continued to erupt for over a million years and the lava flows covered an area of almost 3 million square miles.

Siberian Traps

The Siberian Traps form a large region of volcanic rock, known as a large igneous province, in the Russian region of Siberia. The massive eruptive event which formed the traps, one of the largest known volcanic events of the last 500 million years of Earth's geological history, continued for a million years and spanned the Permian–Triassic boundary, about 251 to 250 million years ago.

Geographical extent

Vast volumes of basaltic lava paved over a large expanse of primeval Siberia in a flood basalt event. Today the area covered is about 2 million km² – roughly equal to western Europe in land area – and estimates of the original coverage are as high as 7 million km². The original volume of lava is estimated to range from 1 to 4 million km³.

Impact on prehistoric life

This massive eruptive event spanned the Permian-Triassic boundary, about 250 million years ago, and is cited as a possible cause of the Permian-Triassic extinction event. This extinction event, also called the Great Dying, affected all life on Earth, and is estimated to have killed 90% of species living at the time.[3] Life on land took 30 million years to recover from the environmental disruptions which may have been caused by the eruption of the Siberian Traps.[4]

Volcanoes & Climate
Wheeling Jesuit University
(excerpts)

Volcanoes also release large amounts of water and carbon dioxide. When these two compounds are in the form of gases in the atmosphere, they absorb heat radiation (infrared) emitted by the ground and hold it in the atmosphere. This causes the air below to get warmer. Therefore, you might think that a major eruption would cause a temporary warming of the atmosphere rather than a cooling. However, there are very large amounts of water and carbon dioxide in the atmosphere already, and even a large eruption doesn't change the global amounts very much. In addition, the water generally condenses out of the atmosphere as rain in a few hours to a few days, and the carbon dioxide quickly dissolves in the ocean or is absorbed by plants. Consequently, the sulfur compounds have a greater short-term effect, and cooling dominates. However, over long periods of time (thousands or millions of years), multiple eruptions of giant volcanoes, such as the flood basalt volcanoes, can raise the carbon dioxide levels enough to cause significant global warming.

Moron!

I see a lot of "could haves", I see no empirical data to support the theory. Not one bit. However we KNOW that whenever there is a minor volcanic eruption there is an IMMEDIATE and MEASURABLE drop in global temperature. Just imagine a supervolcano erupting for 200,000 years and the effect that would have on the temperature.

New evidence also shows that the lava was boiling the local salt deposits and that created a host of toxic gasses chief among them methyl chloride which is now theorized to have depleted the ozone (of course extreme cold is also KNOWN to deplete ozone). Fossils from the time indicate a large number of mutations cropping up at that time lending further creedence to the theory.

In short, there is STILL no evidence of clathrates causing run away warming. there is tons of evidence showing extreme cold as a possibility.

But thanks for playing loser.

Toxic Gases Caused World's Worst Extinction: Discovery News

Last edited:

Forum List

Back