New SCOTUS ACA Challenge 'Nails It'....but Won't Matter

Your decision in defiance of accepted idiomatic usage to declare "it only means this and nothing else" is the exclusionary part.

What other idiomatic expressions do you feel need bowdlerizing?

Nothing, unlike you, I've proved my point.
So there's only one idiomatic expression you'd want to obliterate. That's hopeful. How do you feel about the Oxford comma?

I see you've decided to go with "Deflection"....

:rofl:

Apparently the new SCOTUS challenge is of less interest here than the OP had hoped... :(

Apparently you are one of those people that can never admit they've made a mistake. What is so hard about saying "I was wrong"?
You really don't want to discuss the topic? Okay.

LINK: New Obamacare Appeal to Be Filed With the Supreme Court: ‘So Unconstitutional in So Many Ways’

A new ACA challenge will be brought up before the SCOTUS, and it is 'un-deniable'...but it won't matter.

The new lawsuit accurately , appropriately points out that all tax-raising legislation MUST be originated in the House of Representatives - the ACA was created in the Senate, and the decision that the monetary fine on those who refused to purchase 'Obamacare' Insurance was technically created by/in the Supreme Court.

(Obama lawyers argued that it was a punitive FINE, not a tax, so as not to break Obama's promise that no new taxes would be included in the ACA...however, Chief Justice Roberts stated a 'FINE' is Un-Constitutional and therefore the government MUST have intended it to be a 'tax', thereby saving the ACA.)

Although accurate, the point is already 'moot'. The 'old' system of insurance in the US has already been destroyed, replaced with the 'ACA'. Attempting to go back will waster hundreds of billions of dollars and throw those now insured through the ACA into chaos, once again having to scramble to get new insurance, and the Insurance companies would have to scramble to recreate insurance policies...again.

....not going to happen.

Not going to happen for the same reason King v Burwell failed, because it's essentially the same non-argument. When you start haggling over the meanings of commonly accepted words (ironic, given some of the posts in this thread), you need, as an attorney, to be better equipped than the attorneys you're arguing against.

I blame Bill Clinton for starting that whole "definition of 'is'" business.

One clever thing the Pacific Legal Foundation has done, though, is file the suit as an organization, not an individual. In the King case, the plaintiff's past history showed the suit to be bogus long before SCOTUS began discussing it.

Which doesn't make me wrong. It just means "we're both right." Now, if you'd like to do a sidebar on etymology, that might be fun, but it would take us demonstrably off topic. Is that what you want, or was this just illustrative of the expression "nailed it"?

Wrong again skippy, "Nailed it" is a general expression of success, not a "sexual metaphor" which would have an exclusive sexual connotation.

Your decision in defiance of accepted idiomatic usage to declare "it only means this and nothing else" is the exclusionary part.

So there's only one idiomatic expression you'd want to obliterate. That's hopeful. How do you feel about the Oxford comma?

And properly defining a term obliterates it how?

It doesn't, nor did I say it did. Saying "I don't like this usage, therefore I demand it be excluded," however, does.

Now, then, getting back to the OP: Not going to happen for the same reason King v Burwell failed, because it's essentially the same non-argument. When you start haggling over the meanings of commonly accepted words (ironic, given some of the posts in this thread), you need, as an attorney, to be better equipped than the attorneys you're arguing against.

I blame Bill Clinton for starting that whole "definition of 'is'" business.

One clever thing the Pacific Legal Foundation has done, though, is file the suit as an organization, not an individual. In the King case, the plaintiff's past history showed the suit to be bogus long before SCOTUS began discussing it.

Wrong again skippy, "Nailed it" is a general expression of success, not a "sexual metaphor" which would have an exclusive sexual connotation.

Apparently the new SCOTUS challenge is of less interest here than the OP had hoped... :(

Actually they would most likely have a better chance challenging the unconstitutionality of the direct tax imposed by SCOTUS than challenging an accepted unconstitutional congressional practice.

Actually they would most likely have a better chance challenging the unconstitutionality of the direct tax imposed by SCOTUS than challenging an accepted unconstitutional congressional practice.
Thank you. Guess we'll just have to wait and see, then.

LINK: New Obamacare Appeal to Be Filed With the Supreme Court: ‘So Unconstitutional in So Many Ways’

A new ACA challenge will be brought up before the SCOTUS, and it is 'un-deniable'...but it won't matter.

The new lawsuit accurately , appropriately points out that all tax-raising legislation MUST be originated in the House of Representatives - the ACA was created in the Senate, and the decision that the monetary fine on those who refused to purchase 'Obamacare' Insurance was technically created by/in the Supreme Court.

(Obama lawyers argued that it was a punitive FINE, not a tax, so as not to break Obama's promise that no new taxes would be included in the ACA...however, Chief Justice Roberts stated a 'FINE' is Un-Constitutional and therefore the government MUST have intended it to be a 'tax', thereby saving the ACA.)

Although accurate, the point is already 'moot'. The 'old' system of insurance in the US has already been destroyed, replaced with the 'ACA'. Attempting to go back will waster hundreds of billions of dollars and throw those now insured through the ACA into chaos, once again having to scramble to get new insurance, and the Insurance companies would have to scramble to recreate insurance policies...again.

....not going to happen.

It's already happening. It's happening now. Many ACA insurers are going under each week. I saw a report just this week that 80,000 in Colorado will have to go elsewhere for insurance because one of their big insurers got out of Obamacare. Many insurers are dumping Obamacare and many have shown no profit and must quit the game. Obamacare is imploding. Rates for even the cheaper Bronze plan is rising by 11% and deductibles are at $5K. That is no insurance.

....not going to happen.

It's already happening. It's happening now. Many ACA insurers are going under each week. I saw a report just this week that 80,000 in Colorado will have to go elsewhere for insurance because one of their big insurers got out of Obamacare. Many insurers are dumping Obamacare and many have shown no profit and must quit the game. Obamacare is imploding. Rates for even the cheaper Bronze plan is rising by 11% and deductibles are at $5K. That is no insurance.

So y'all keep saying. According to you, before the PPACA everything was lollipops and kittens.

....not going to happen.

So y'all keep saying. According to you, before the PPACA everything was lollipops and kittens.

I didn't have a problem. I bought my first health insurance policy in 1963 and have been covered by health insurance ever since except for my active duty time. I have fantastic coverage at present. No co=pays, no deductibles. I have been with my current insurance carrier for over twenty years, long before Obamacare was ever dreamed up. Obamacare did not create the insurance industry. It was alive and well long before Obama was even a Senator.

....not going to happen.

I didn't have a problem. I bought my first health insurance policy in 1963 and have been covered by health insurance ever since except for my active duty time. I have fantastic coverage at present. No co=pays, no deductibles. I have been with my current insurance carrier for over twenty years, long before Obamacare was ever dreamed up.

And so you smugly assumed everyone else was as fortunate. Employer-provided, for at least part of that time?

Obamacare did not create the insurance industry.

The only people saying that are the Stupids who keep referring to Obamacare as "government-run insurance." Are you sure you want to ally yourself with them?

....not going to happen.

I didn't have a problem. I bought my first health insurance policy in 1963 and have been covered by health insurance ever since except for my active duty time. I have fantastic coverage at present. No co=pays, no deductibles. I have been with my current insurance carrier for over twenty years, long before Obamacare was ever dreamed up.

And so you smugly assumed everyone else was as fortunate. Employer-provided, for at least part of that time?

The only people saying that are the Stupids who keep referring to Obamacare as "government-run insurance." Are you sure you want to ally yourself with them?

Yes. The corporation I own provides for all my insurance. Even my automobile insurance. Indeed, if I could do it, anyone can do it. Indeed, Obamacare is not insurance. Obamacare is a TAX.

....not going to happen.

Yes. The corporation I own provides for all my insurance. Even my automobile insurance. Indeed, if I could do it, anyone can do it. Indeed, Obamacare is not insurance. Obamacare is a TAX.

You owned your own company in '63? Impressive. No outsourcing or offshoring then. No Citizens United, either. And a corporate tax rate of 54%. It's almost as if it was a whole 'nother country.

But you should hire yourself out as a consultant to all those COOs whining about the current corporate tax rate. As you say, if you could do it, anyone can. Go teach those wusses a lesson!

You owned your own company in '63? Impressive. No outsourcing or offshoring then. No Citizens United, either. And a corporate tax rate of 54%. It's almost as if it was a whole 'nother country.

But you should hire yourself out as a consultant to all those COOs whining about the current corporate tax rate. As you say, if you could do it, anyone can. Go teach those wusses a lesson!

No. I worked for a sawmill company from 1963 until the later part of 1964 when I went into the military. I attended VPI under the G.I. Bill and started my own business in 1970. My three kids have now taken over the business while I am practically retired and will retire in March 2016. I am finishing one last project.
Yes, my parents were below the poverty level. Had it not been for the G.I. Bill, I would most probably not have gotten an engineering degree. Who knows?

No. I worked for a sawmill company from 1963 until the later part of 1964 when I went into the military. I attended VPI under the G.I. Bill and started my own business in 1970. My three kids have now taken over the business while I am practically retired and will retire in March 2016. I am finishing one last project.
Yes, my parents were below the poverty level. Had it not been for the G.I. Bill, I would most probably not have gotten an engineering degree. Who knows?

There are those on this board who support cutting VA benefits. I wonder if they'd try to slash or eliminate the GI Bill next? That might make an interesting thread in another forum...

There are those on this board who support cutting VA benefits. I wonder if they'd try to slash or eliminate the GI Bill next? That might make an interesting thread in another forum...

Were that to happen, it just might be cause enough to reintroduce the Draft. A lot of guys volunteer just to get the educational benefits. This is a recruitment tool even for the Reserves.

Were that to happen, it just might be cause enough to reintroduce the Draft. A lot of guys volunteer just to get the educational benefits. This is a recruitment tool even for the Reserves.

Good point. Listening to the whining from the poor little picked on Millennials, I wonder if a year or two between high school and college/trade school/work wouldn't be of benefit to everyone. Give them a choice, though. Boot camp to boots on the ground, or construction vs destruction (e.g., community service).

Barracks living, with all that entails (with exceptions for the level of physical training, because if you're "recruiting" every 18-year-old, they're not all going to be fit). Secure the country from the next Saddam Hussein, pick up trash in your community, learn to rebuild bridges...whatever it is will grow you up and teach you to stop whining.

Oh, and no affluenza exemptions, though that will be hard to enforce...

Good point. Listening to the whining from the poor little picked on Millennials, I wonder if a year or two between high school and college/trade school/work wouldn't be of benefit to everyone. Give them a choice, though. Boot camp to boots on the ground, or construction vs destruction (e.g., community service).

Barracks living, with all that entails (with exceptions for the level of physical training, because if you're "recruiting" every 18-year-old, they're not all going to be fit). Secure the country from the next Saddam Hussein, pick up trash in your community, learn to rebuild bridges...whatever it is will grow you up and teach you to stop whining.

Oh, and no affluenza exemptions, though that will be hard to enforce...

There might be a place for all of them were community service, Peace Corps, or something like the old CCC camps were placed into the mix. When I was called up and even afterward during the Viet Nam conflict, I really don't recall anyone younger than maybe 20 years of age ever being drafted. There were a lot of 4-F and 1-Y classifications even back then and I still can't remember any drafting below the age of twenty.

Forum List

Back