New Mexico private school to start random drug testing of its students

Ah yes, the argument that parents outrank schools. How does this work exactly? A parent that specifically wants schools to drug test or schools that assert their authority over that of the parents and not drug test.

If parents intend that their child not be subject to drug testing in private school, since they are paying, they can choose to send their child to public school or shop around for a school that permits drug taking.

It's not an argument, it's a fact. It is the parents job to deal with their kid's substance abuse issues. As you said, private schools can do as they wish and the parents can choose to send their kids elsewhere. In public shool. parents make their voices heard, the school board listens and carries out their desires. My system is being dumbed down due to this. It's a damn shame but the parents are letting us know what they want in an education for their kids. Fortunately, both of mine graduated before the neutering.

I don't know how much further LAUSD can be dumbed down. I am grateful that I have no children in school. Drug taking might be a prerequisite to graduation.

Schools should not be concerned about students' drug use? Do you wanna rethink that one?

I do agree that alcohol is huge problem as well, but rarely are kids drunk or dealing beer on school property.

My son had a drug screening in HS while getting other blood work done. I was thrilled it was clean. I'm not so naïve to think "Not my kid"

I said that schools should not be concerned with testing. Parenting outranks schooling.

Parents should also be responsible for the their kids' feeding, attendance, and homework as well. But all know how that goes. And all that neglect is highly correlated with drug abuse. What "should be" and "what is" are entirely different discussions.

Bottom line is that it is the school's problem. Check the statistics.

Schools should not be concerned about students' drug use? Do you wanna rethink that one?

I do agree that alcohol is huge problem as well, but rarely are kids drunk or dealing beer on school property.

My son had a drug screening in HS while getting other blood work done. I was thrilled it was clean. I'm not so naïve to think "Not my kid"

I said that schools should not be concerned with testing. Parenting outranks schooling.

Parents should also be responsible for the their kids' feeding, attendance, and homework as well. But all know how that goes. And all that neglect is highly correlated with drug abuse. What "should be" and "what is" are entirely different discussions.

Bottom line is that it is the school's problem. Check the statistics.

I agree with everything you are saying, but the OP is about testing. I do not think that schools should be in that business. Drug testing should be a function of law enforcement or medical and not educators.

I have no problem with this. It will deter students from using drugs to some extent. Sure, some will find ways around it but, some will be deterred from doing them in the first place. Substance abuse is problem in every school, everywhere, and I have no problem with random drug testing. It may cost the school money but, if it prevents students from harming themselves and others, it is a overall a good thing.

Forum List

Back