Chicago School Charging Parents $5 for Each Detention

Discussion in 'Education' started by Dont Taz Me Bro, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,543
    I think this is a fine idea. Everyone is so quick to blame the teachers for a shitty school system, but the bottom line is, education starts at home and that includes discipline.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. RebeccaAGray_85

RebeccaAGray_85 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I don't think this is very fair. Low income families often have children who act out in school. How is it fair to charge their PARENTS? They have enough to worry about with their jobs and taking care of their family. If they have a child that doesn't behave, they probably know it and have tried disciplining them already. This is just going to be a burden on parents who are most-likely already stressed out and overwhelmed.

3. JakeStarkey

JakeStarkey Diamond Member Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,597
    Parents are key to the education of children. They cannot expect the schools to do what they won't at home. If they want the schools to act as parents, i. e., detention, then the parents can pay for it.

Caveat: be careful of parents who will brutalize the children for making them pay for their brattiness.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  4. Unknown_Soldier

Unknown_Soldier BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Easy solution. Tell your child if they get a detention they will get their ass kicked AND they will be finding a part time job to pay the fine themselves.

It's odd that myself, my wife, my brother, my sister, my brother in law, and my sister, and all of our children combined have in our lives spent exactly zero time in school detention.......

5. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,125
    I always imposed my own fine on my kids . . . get detention again and I'll whap you upside yer head after I kick yer ass! You can make them pay for the gas it took to pick them up too. Actually, only one of my kids ever had detention and she had it with my blessing . . . the school rule was that you had to get changed into your gym uniform even if you had a doctor's note excusing you from gym. My kid went in w/a dr's note (double ear infection and bronchitis . . I didn't want her running around so got the note). I think the rule is asinine and told my kid 'take the detention -- literally the kept her for 15 mins after school. :rolleyes:) and I'll pick you up'.

For those whining about the poor parents, how will they pay, blah, blah, blah? Manual labor. Have the kids stay after school and clean the bathrooms. They'll soon realize that following the rules is the better option.

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    The parents have every right to send their kids to public schools, where these types infractions wouldn't raise an eyebrow. These folks went out of their way to get their kids into these schools, why? Might be performance and giving their kids a future. Perhaps they don't understand what that entails?

Welcome to Noble Street Charter School

7. old navy

old navy <<< Action Figures

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Paying for detention, summer school, and whatever else is required outside what is already provided is fine by me.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  8. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,125

9. bodecea

bodecea Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,677

Don't have to put your kid in a charter school. Don't like it, leave.

10. AmericaFirst88

AmericaFirst88 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Crappy kids usually come from crappy parents. The repeat offenders probably have problems at home. Fining them won't make a difference if they can't pay it anyways though.