New Law gives Dogs & Cats in Research Labs a chance at Life

Michelle420

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2013
The Bee Hive State
Dogs and cats used in research in New York will be eligible for adoption instead of euthanasia, thanks to a bill signed into law this week by Gov. Andrew Cuomo.

“Dogs and cats are like members of the family for many New Yorkers and this action will allow for more four-legged friends to be adopted into a caring home,”

Known as the Beagle Freedom Bill, the law has the support of the Humane Society of the United States. It requires state-funded research institutions to put dogs and cats up for adoption. A vet must decide whether a lab animal is medically suitable for adoption. Those that are will be offered to a licensed shelter or rescue facility.

There are an estimated 65,000 dogs in U.S. research facilities, according to the Albany Times Union. Most have never seen the sun or touched grass. Beagles are breed most commonly used in experiments. California and three other states have passed similar measures. TheBeagle Freedom Project is a wonderful organization that rescues and finds homes for these animals.c

More than 22,000 cats are used and often abused in research facilities across the country, according to PETA. The Research Animal Retirement Act is “an important move to promote the adoption of dogs and cats formerly used for research,” said Brian Shapiro, New York state director for The Humane Society of the United States.

Adoption Option for Research Cats and Dogs

Screen-Shot-2016-08-25-at-12.07.36-PM-1024x471.png

I hope they get homes, who knows what kind of shape they are in after being in research labs.

Let's say you wanted to adopt one of these animals to use as test subjects of your own. Is that still allowed under this bill?

If they are anything like our local shelter it would be impossible to adopt one. Unless you are a housewife with no job who wants a purse pet to have groomed weekly and check ups from the shelter manager's BFF vet just because you have nothing better to do, then you won't get an animal. My vet is like, "Uh, unless they need their shots or there is something wrong with em, don't need to bring them in for me to see them."

(((Drifter Thank you for this thread )))

and thank you ...all of you out there who protect and care for animals everywhere.

It always bothered me that Johnson and Johnson rubs their products into the eyes of animals. I don't buy those products.

Unfortunately it's their way of covering their asses from potential lawsuits. Lawyers, litigation and the legal system are partly to blame.

Watch this video:

This issue is why I switched to Pacifica products...which are not tested on animals. Great moisturizer, make-up, etc.

Pacifica

Thanks for sharing that. It breaks my heart. I know they do testing for all sorts of things. I rarely wear make up but when I do I don't use any that test their products on animals.

It made me cry watching those beagles have freedom for the first time.

I lean FAR left when it comes to animal rights, humane treatment of all animals as in PETA member and will turn your ass in a second if I even suspect you neglect, abuse any animal. Thank you for posting this!!! IT'S ABOUT TIME!! NO animal should be used to test any products on, period.

Dogs and cats used in research in New York will be eligible for adoption instead of euthanasia, thanks to a bill signed into law this week by Gov. Andrew Cuomo.

“Dogs and cats are like members of the family for many New Yorkers and this action will allow for more four-legged friends to be adopted into a caring home,”

Known as the Beagle Freedom Bill, the law has the support of the Humane Society of the United States. It requires state-funded research institutions to put dogs and cats up for adoption. A vet must decide whether a lab animal is medically suitable for adoption. Those that are will be offered to a licensed shelter or rescue facility.

There are an estimated 65,000 dogs in U.S. research facilities, according to the Albany Times Union. Most have never seen the sun or touched grass. Beagles are breed most commonly used in experiments. California and three other states have passed similar measures. TheBeagle Freedom Project is a wonderful organization that rescues and finds homes for these animals.c

More than 22,000 cats are used and often abused in research facilities across the country, according to PETA. The Research Animal Retirement Act is “an important move to promote the adoption of dogs and cats formerly used for research,” said Brian Shapiro, New York state director for The Humane Society of the United States.

I hope they get homes, who knows what kind of shape they are in after being in research labs.

i didnt l know that dogs are used in labs anymore

i didnt l know that dogs are used in labs anymore

Sadly they are and spend upwards of their entire lives in cages being used as experimental baggage, never seeing the outdoors, light.. to run, play.. It's despicable. People who have done this deserve to burn in hell.

Forum List

Back