New Jersey wants to suspend license of drivers who eat or drink while driving

I agree, the habit of talking on the phone is out of control. I haven't a clue what you can do about it, fines don't seem to work.

So let's suspend the licenses. THINK

A bit rash but taking the bus or train for a couple months could have an effect.

Rash??? These people are killers and psychopaths with no concern for the lives of others. THINK
psychopaths? really?

I can't tell you how many outfits I've ruined trying to eat a taco while driving. It's a good idea, imo. But a cup of coffee? A cold Bud, yes, coffee no. Drinking bottled water/sipping coffee really doesn't really take your eyes from the road. Now dumping half a taco in your lap and all over your blouse, now that's distracting.
Order a combination burrito instead. It's insane trying to eat a taco while driving.

I can't tell you how many outfits I've ruined trying to eat a taco while driving. It's a good idea, imo. But a cup of coffee? A cold Bud, yes, coffee no. Drinking bottled water/sipping coffee really doesn't really take your eyes from the road. Now dumping half a taco in your lap and all over your blouse, now that's distracting.
You are suppose to get soft tacos and wrap 'em like a burrito..

I don't think I ever ate and drove, and certainty no cell phone. I have drank coffee, and water. How can one eat and drive. Maybe much on Fritos or something.

You should try it. Cell phones are tasty and nutritious.

Drinking what? Water? A soda? Eating some fries? I do it all the time without taking my eyes off the road. That's a stupid law. Texting is what is dangerous. THAT kills way too many people.

You're another idiot that thinks driving should be FUN while the truth is it's the most dangerous thing most of us do every day. Even radios should be banned from cars. You've been brainwashed by the media. THINK for yourself, you miserable maggot sucking wretch.

I'm somewhat of an avid biker (cycling) and I stay off the roads as much as I can. Every time I come to a stop light at least 3 out of 4 drivers are using their phone. Seems like most people are using their phones while driving also. It only takes a split second for a distracted driver to hit a biker and end someone's life. Like someone else said, I don't know the answer to this issue.

Don't know the answer??? Stiff penalties are the answer and the means license suspension. Fines don't work unless you base it on the criminal's income and for some reason we don't do that in america.

Yeah, somewhat related to the speed limits of cars. I am pretty sure the highest speed limit is 70.

Now imagine how much money the states would lose if cars were only limited to the nation's highest speed limit.

They'd lose billions in ticket revenues but save even more billions due to the reduction in crashes. A crash means the cops and the ERT shows up and that costs a fortune.

Them people are crazy if they think that taking away the license away will stop people from driving.

If you lost your license, would you still drive? Maybe - but you would drive a lot less, wouldn't you? And when you did drive you'd be very careful not to break any law and get pulled over. So taking away your license did a lot of good, didn't it?

THINK

Drinking what? Water? A soda? Eating some fries? I do it all the time without taking my eyes off the road. That's a stupid law. Texting is what is dangerous. THAT kills way too many people.

You're another idiot that thinks driving should be FUN while the truth is it's the most dangerous thing most of us do every day. Even radios should be banned from cars. You've been brainwashed by the media. THINK for yourself, you miserable maggot sucking wretch.

Yes...of course I am. Next time try not to hold back your feelings. Let it out... feel the butt hurt.

If americans had any brains, they would all support this. Careless drivers are literally a thousand times bigger risk to you than terrorists.

Proposed bill could ticket NJ drivers for eating, drinking coffee

aug 6 2016 NEW JERSEY (WTXF) Some lawmakers in New Jersey have proposed a bill that would have police in the Garden State cracking down even harder on distracted drivers.

And that means some big fines for something as simple as eating while you're behind the wheel. However, not everybody's on board with the proposed bill.

New Jersey has been involved in a constant battle to crackdown on distracted driving. Texting or talking on cell phones while driving is already illegal but some legislators believe that's not enough.

Penalties would be up to $400 for a first offense and a license suspension for multiple offenses. That may seem a little severe but perhaps not when you consider the consequences of distracted driving.
Good

Often, when driving on city streets or highways, I see drivers with their heads turned away from the road, looking at the person next to them and talking. If drinking a soda is distracting, even more so is talking to passengers in the car. I can sip on a drink and still watch the road ahead of me, while drivers talking to passengers are actually not even looking at the road. So, who's more dangerous?

What needs to be done is the automakers should be required to install an electronic device that automatically blocks all cell signals above a certain speed, let's say 5mph.
Never heard of bluetooth have you?

In my state it's illegal to hold a cell phone while you are driving but hand free is OK. But then again I see state cops holding cell phones to their ears while they're driving

You people act as if this is something new. It's not

I used to commute into Boston quite a bit and used to see people with a newspaper spread out on the steering wheel. Guys shaving. Women putting on make up all while doing 70 mph

Often, when driving on city streets or highways, I see drivers with their heads turned away from the road, looking at the person next to them and talking. If drinking a soda is distracting, even more so is talking to passengers in the car. I can sip on a drink and still watch the road ahead of me, while drivers talking to passengers are actually not even looking at the road. So, who's more dangerous?
Passengers? How often does anyone see a car with more than one person in it?

Them people are crazy if they think that taking away the license away will stop people from driving.

If you lost your license, would you still drive? Maybe - but you would drive a lot less, wouldn't you? And when you did drive you'd be very careful not to break any law and get pulled over. So taking away your license did a lot of good, didn't it?

THINK
I am thinking. My mom was once pulled over because one of her lights had quit on her.

God bless you and her always!!!

Holly

P.S. She told the cop that she didn't know that it had gone out on her and that she would get it taken care of the next day, but she was given a ticket for it anyways. In other words, at the end of the day, it may not matter how careful a person's actual driving is when they can be pulled over for anything.

There is no way to enforce a ban on talking while driving. But we can enforce a ban on eating while driving.

Forum List

Back