New Ice Age begins

You know its odd, but we can probably expect wild swings in weather behaviors whether the globe is getting warmer OR colder.

But we'll know that you are right Mdn2000, IF we see a persistent decline in overall global temperatures over time.

Right now, most of the experts seem to think the global is warming up.

As I am not an expert in this field, I sort of leave it to them to tell me what's happening.

Sometimes I post opinion, this thread is not even my opinion, just a headline that I thought would catch attention as well as be contrary to so many other thread's title. I do however post with a bit of knowledge and experience from my life, I pay attention to many sources of information hence I do know, and have kept a bit of fact until now, on this topic, maybe not fact, another theory.

I heard that the Russians were predicting a new ice age which gave me the idea of the thread. I am not interested in going, "tit for tat" in posting links proving warming or cooling, to me that is not debate or thought, I like to use common sense based on if its raining or snowing when I wake.

A cold spell soon to replace global warming | Opinion & analysis | RIA Novosti

A cold spell soon to replace global warming
Topic: Global warming: future catastrophes
13:54 03/01/2008
MOSCOW. (Oleg Sorokhtin for RIA Novosti) – Stock up on fur coats and felt boots! This is my paradoxical advice to the warm world.
Earth is now at the peak of one of its passing warm spells. It started in the 17th century when there was no industrial influence on the climate to speak of and no such thing as the hothouse effect. The current warming is evidently a natural process and utterly independent of hothouse gases.
The real reasons for climate changes are uneven solar radiation, terrestrial precession (that is, axis gyration), instability of oceanic currents, regular salinity fluctuations of the Arctic Ocean surface waters, etc. There is another, principal reason—solar activity and luminosity. The greater they are the warmer is our climate.
Astrophysics knows two solar activity cycles, of 11 and 200 years. Both are caused by changes in the radius and area of the irradiating solar surface. The latest data, obtained by Habibullah Abdusamatov, head of the Pulkovo Observatory space research laboratory, say that Earth has passed the peak of its warmer period, and a fairly cold spell will set in quite soon, by 2012. Real cold will come when solar activity reaches its minimum, by 2041, and will last for 50-60 years or even longer.
This is my point, which environmentalists hotly dispute as they cling to the hothouse theory. As we know, hothouse gases, in particular, nitrogen peroxide, warm up the atmosphere by keeping heat close to the ground. Advanced in the late 19th century by Svante A. Arrhenius, a Swedish physical chemist and Nobel Prize winner, this theory is taken for granted to this day and has not undergone any serious check

Last edited:
In the first place, no one knows exactly what will happen. The weatherman can not even tell you with 100% accuracy what will tomorrow so I cannot pretend to know exactly what will happen in 10 or 20 years. But the indications are that storms will become more violent and rain patterns will change in response to a global warm up. It is already happening! The hurricane season every year is for a few months, but they cycle they operate on is a decade plus or minus a few years. Meteorlogical cycles are how measure trends, not in years.

What indications?

Monster Hurricanes: Study Questions Linkage Between Severe Hurricanes And Global Warming
http://pubs.giss.nasa.gov/docs/2007/2007_DelGenio_etal_2.pdf

Interesting, this scientist hypothesizes an increase in the number of major storms.

Monster Hurricanes: Study Questions Linkage Between Severe Hurricanes And Global Warming

But what if sea-surface temperatures continue to rise into the future, if the world continues to warm from an enhancing greenhouse effect?

"In the future we may expect to see more major hurricanes," Michaels said, "but we don't expect the ones that do form to be any stronger than the ones that we have seen in the past."

28 dead from cold over the whole of Europe in this cold snap. 11,000 dead just in Russia from the heat wave there last summer. Not exactly equal events.

11,000 dead from respiratory ailments, not heat, there olfraud.

According to whom?
2010 Russian Heat Wave

Western Russia had become an epicenter of anomalously high temperatures in July 2010, though many other land temperatures for July were above normal including eastern North America, Europe, and China (Figure 3).

Preliminary readings suggest that Moscow's July 2010 temperatures were the warmest month during the prior 130 years. Statistical measures quantify the extreme character of this heat wave, with a greater than 4 standardized anomaly for Moscow during July. In other words, July's warmth was four times greater than the expected variability of July historical fluctuations about their long-term climatology. The heat wave continued into mid-August, breaking around 19 August according to Russian meteorologists ( Deadly Russian heatwave declared over - World news - Europe - Russia - msnbc.com).

Heat stress and elevated pollution levels led to human mortality across western Russia. High temperatures, and a general absence of rainfall over western Russia led to drought conditions and widespread crop loss. Wild fires raged in the region, both over grasslands and forests, further degrading air quality.

Of course, we all know that you are so much smarter and knowledgable than the scientists at NOAA and the USGS.

You know its odd, but we can probably expect wild swings in weather behaviors whether the globe is getting warmer OR colder.

But we'll know that you are right Mdn2000, IF we see a persistent decline in overall global temperatures over time.

Right now, most of the experts seem to think the global is warming up.

As I am not an expert in this field, I sort of leave it to them to tell me what's happening.

Sometimes I post opinion, this thread is not even my opinion, just a headline that I thought would catch attention as well as be contrary to so many other thread's title. I do however post with a bit of knowledge and experience from my life, I pay attention to many sources of information hence I do know, and have kept a bit of fact until now, on this topic, maybe not fact, another theory.

I heard that the Russians were predicting a new ice age which gave me the idea of the thread. I am not interested in going, "tit for tat" in posting links proving warming or cooling, to me that is not debate or thought, I like to use common sense based on if its raining or snowing when I wake.

A cold spell soon to replace global warming | Opinion & analysis | RIA Novosti

A cold spell soon to replace global warming
Topic: Global warming: future catastrophes
13:54 03/01/2008
MOSCOW. (Oleg Sorokhtin for RIA Novosti) – Stock up on fur coats and felt boots! This is my paradoxical advice to the warm world.
Earth is now at the peak of one of its passing warm spells. It started in the 17th century when there was no industrial influence on the climate to speak of and no such thing as the hothouse effect. The current warming is evidently a natural process and utterly independent of hothouse gases.
The real reasons for climate changes are uneven solar radiation, terrestrial precession (that is, axis gyration), instability of oceanic currents, regular salinity fluctuations of the Arctic Ocean surface waters, etc. There is another, principal reason—solar activity and luminosity. The greater they are the warmer is our climate.
Astrophysics knows two solar activity cycles, of 11 and 200 years. Both are caused by changes in the radius and area of the irradiating solar surface. The latest data, obtained by Habibullah Abdusamatov, head of the Pulkovo Observatory space research laboratory, say that Earth has passed the peak of its warmer period, and a fairly cold spell will set in quite soon, by 2012. Real cold will come when solar activity reaches its minimum, by 2041, and will last for 50-60 years or even longer.
This is my point, which environmentalists hotly dispute as they cling to the hothouse theory. As we know, hothouse gases, in particular, nitrogen peroxide, warm up the atmosphere by keeping heat close to the ground. Advanced in the late 19th century by Svante A. Arrhenius, a Swedish physical chemist and Nobel Prize winner, this theory is taken for granted to this day and has not undergone any serious check

Complete bullshit, even naming nitrious oxides, a minor player, while ignoring CO2. And Svante Arrhenius did not ignore CO2.

The Carbon Dioxide Greenhouse Effect

Greenhouse Speculations: Arrhenius and Callendar
TOP OF PAGE
The next major scientist to consider the question was another man with broad interests, Svante Arrhenius in Stockholm. He too was attracted by the great riddle of the prehistoric ice ages. In 1896 Arrhenius completed a laborious numerical computation which suggested that cutting the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere by half could lower the temperature in Europe some 4-5°C (roughly 7-9°F) — that is, to an ice age level. But this idea could only answer the riddle of the ice ages if such large changes in atmospheric composition really were possible. For that question Arrhenius turned to a colleague, Arvid Högbom. It happened that Högbom had compiled estimates for how carbon dioxide cycles through natural geochemical processes, including emission from volcanoes, uptake by the oceans, and so forth. Along the way he had come up with a strange, almost incredible new idea.

Anybody hear about the Heartland’s Fourth International Conference on Climate Change....last May....? Given our media blackouting it's not surprising if you didn't...experts debunk the global warming hoax and conclude a cooling trend....summary by Marc Sheppard/American Thinker...

Heartland Conference Establishes Post-Climategate Consensus
Mine is the task of summarizing – to the best of my ability -- the current state of climate reality, as espoused before me one month ago by no less than the greatest minds analyzing the subject today. And yours is the opportunity to quickly absorb the collective wisdom of over 75 experts speaking at 5 plenary and 20 breakout sessions, and countless marvelous conversations, all spread over 3 days. And to discover or affirm the myriad inconvenient truths behind the “global warming” hype.

Let’s begin with arguably the most significant but unquestionably the most conference-ubiquitous.

Currents and Current Cooling

For years now, alarmists have arrogantly ignored the cooling we’ve experienced worldwide since 1999, continuing their demands that we sacrifice everything – jobs, money, comfort, progress and ultimately, freedom -- to halt fictitious “runaway global warming.” Such unfounded hysteria seems all the more inane after hearing the unvarnished truth from the experts at ICCC-4, beginning with their predictions that the global cooling will likely continue for the next few decades.

Geologist Don Easterbrook was one of many attending scientists attributing natural climate variations to solar irradiance and deep ocean currents. His ICCC-4 announced paper, The Looming Threat of Global Cooling, noted the undeniable link between the Pacific Decadal Oscillation (PDO) shifting to its warm mode in 1915 and 1977 and global warming resulting both times. Conversely, in 1945 and 1999 the PDO moved to its cool mode and the globe cooled right along, despite a rapid increase in atmospheric CO2 during the period. What’s more, climate changes in the geologic record show a regular pattern of alternate warming and cooling with a 25-30 year period for the past 500 years. Easterbrook thereby concludes that we should “expect global cooling for the next 2-3 decades that will be far more damaging than global warming would have been.”

EasterBrook_PDO.jpg

continued....
American Thinker: Heartland Conference Establishes Post-Climategate Consensus

Where the hell did you get that lying graph?

Nov. 2010 UAH Global Temperature Update: +0.38 deg. C Roy Spencer, Ph. D.

Now Dr. Spencer is Limpbaughs source, yet look at his graph. Based on satellite data observed over the whole world. It shows that the last decade has been significantly warmer than either of the two preceding decades.

Snow in Europe sure as fuck doesn't=ice age. Decades of colder temperatures and growing glaciers do...Guess what, We don't have colder temperatures year after year or growing glaciers over much of earth. End of discussion...I been hearing about this coming ice age stuff for decades and yet it never comes and we will NOT have warning when it really does, but it will come with little or no warning. Period.

A bad winter for one part of the world like Europe doesn't mean that other parts aren't having well below normal snow. I think we're a few hundred years before the next cool period.

This is the second severe winter in a row. Last wintr 1.7 million animals were killed in Mongolia by the extreme cold. I won't be saying this is the beginning of a new ice age any time soon, but the trend is certainly towards the colder end of the spectrum and the meterologists that I do trust have been saying that we are headed for a repeat of the Maunder Minimum. Look for 20 years or so of cooling. Maybe more.

Damn, Walleyes, you just keep right on lying. Last winter was severe? In some places, but overall, it was a very warm winter.
January 2010 UAH Global Temperature Update +0.72 Deg. C Roy Spencer, Ph. D.

February 2010 UAH Global Temperature Update: Version 5.3 Unveiled Roy Spencer, Ph. D.

MARCH 2010 UAH Global Temperature Update: +0.65 deg. C Roy Spencer, Ph. D.

December 2009 UAH Global Temperature Update +0.28 Deg. C Roy Spencer, Ph. D.

Let's see.

December, 0.28 degrees warmer than normal

January, 0.72 degrees warmer than normal

February 0.61 degrees warmer than normal

March 0. 65 degrees warmer than normal

And you consider that to be a 'SEVERE' winter? No, this is not the second severe winter in a row. It is a La Nina winter, expected to be colder than normal, thus far living up to expectations. Last year was the fifth warmest winter on record.

Fifth Warmest Winter On Record Worldwide - Science News - redOrbit

Despite nearly two-thirds of the United States experiencing colder-than-normal seasonal temperatures, the 2009-2010 winter season was the fifth warmest on record worldwide.

While a large part of the country was colder than usual this past winter, parts of the U.S. did have warmer-than-usual temperatures. Both New England and the Pacific Northwest joined in the global winter warmth. In addition, Maine had its third warmest winter on record, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

If CO2 traps heat, why does it still get cold in the winter.

If a 2 degree rise in temperatures is devastating to earth, how do we survive the 100 degree swing from the cold of winter the heat of summer.

At best, CO2 is great at keeping things cold, as in the form of Dry Ice, Dry Ice is pure CO2.

If CO2 was so great at trapping heat it would be used in insulated windows instead of Argon gas.

Snow in Europe sure as fuck doesn't=ice age. Decades of colder temperatures and growing glaciers do...Guess what, We don't have colder temperatures year after year or growing glaciers over much of earth. End of discussion...I been hearing about this coming ice age stuff for decades and yet it never comes and we will NOT have warning when it really does, but it will come with little or no warning. Period.

A bad winter for one part of the world like Europe doesn't mean that other parts aren't having well below normal snow. I think we're a few hundred years before the next cool period.

This is the second severe winter in a row. Last wintr 1.7 million animals were killed in Mongolia by the extreme cold. I won't be saying this is the beginning of a new ice age any time soon, but the trend is certainly towards the colder end of the spectrum and the meterologists that I do trust have been saying that we are headed for a repeat of the Maunder Minimum. Look for 20 years or so of cooling. Maybe more.

Damn, Walleyes, you just keep right on lying. Last winter was severe? In some places, but overall, it was a very warm winter.
January 2010 UAH Global Temperature Update +0.72 Deg. C Roy Spencer, Ph. D.

February 2010 UAH Global Temperature Update: Version 5.3 Unveiled Roy Spencer, Ph. D.

MARCH 2010 UAH Global Temperature Update: +0.65 deg. C Roy Spencer, Ph. D.

December 2009 UAH Global Temperature Update +0.28 Deg. C Roy Spencer, Ph. D.

Let's see.

December, 0.28 degrees warmer than normal

January, 0.72 degrees warmer than normal

February 0.61 degrees warmer than normal

March 0. 65 degrees warmer than normal

And you consider that to be a 'SEVERE' winter? No, this is not the second severe winter in a row. It is a La Nina winter, expected to be colder than normal, thus far living up to expectations. Last year was the fifth warmest winter on record.

Fifth Warmest Winter On Record Worldwide - Science News - redOrbit

Despite nearly two-thirds of the United States experiencing colder-than-normal seasonal temperatures, the 2009-2010 winter season was the fifth warmest on record worldwide.

While a large part of the country was colder than usual this past winter, parts of the U.S. did have warmer-than-usual temperatures. Both New England and the Pacific Northwest joined in the global winter warmth. In addition, Maine had its third warmest winter on record, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

Once again Old Crock takes my side and provides fresh information discrediting CO2 as a gas that is contributing to global warming.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Great-Global-Warming-Blunder-Scientists/dp/1594033730/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271759263&sr=1-4]Amazon.com: The Great Global Warming Blunder: How Mother Nature Fooled the World's Top Climate Scientists (9781594033735): Roy W Spencer: Books[/ame]

Product Description
The Great Global Warming Blunder unveils new evidence from major scientific findings that explode the conventional wisdom on climate change and reshape the global warming debate as we know it. Roy W. Spencer, a former senior NASA climatologist, reveals how climate researchers have mistaken cause and effect when analyzing cloud behavior and have been duped by Mother Nature into believing the Earth’s climate system is far more sensitive to human activities and carbon dioxide than it really is.

In fact, Spencer presents astonishing new evidence that recent warming is not the fault of humans, but the result of chaotic, internal natural cycles that have been causing periods of warming and cooling for millennia. More carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is not necessarily to be feared; The Great Global Warming Blunder explains that burning of fossil fuels may actually be beneficial for life on Earth.

As group-think behavior and misguided global warming policy proposals threaten the lives of millions of the world’s poorest, most vulnerable citizens, The Great Global Warming Blunder is a scintillating exposé and much-needed call for debate.

Old Crock, slow down and take a breath, read what you cut and paste, unless you had an epiphany.

Old Crock is a hypocrite, are you using your heater Old Crock, contributing to man made global warming, the heat from your house is being trapped by that high concentration of CO2.

I just had an epiphany, we need to fill our walls with CO2, the great insulating gas.

LOL. I never said that Dr. Spencer was not a skeptic. What I said was that you told an obvious lie concerning the fact that last winter was the fifth warmest on record.

Once again, the winter of 2010 was the fifth warmest on record according to a skeptic, Dr. Roy Spencer. And this November, is spite of the fact that a moderate to strong La Nina has been in place for about three months, is +0.38 degrees. That is a plus. How can it be a severe winter, and still show pluses for the average global temperature?

The tropical tropospheric temperature anomaly for November continued its cooling trend, finally falling below the 1979-1998 average…but the global anomaly is still falling slowly:+0.38 deg. C for October November, 2010.

2010 is now in a dead heat with 1998 for warmest year, with the following averages through November:

1998 +0.538
2010 +0.526

December will determine the outcome, but remember that the difference between the two years is not statistically significant.

Anybody hear about the Heartland’s Fourth International Conference on Climate Change....last May....? Given our media blackouting it's not surprising if you didn't...experts debunk the global warming hoax and conclude a cooling trend....summary by Marc Sheppard/American Thinker...

Heartland Conference Establishes Post-Climategate Consensus
Mine is the task of summarizing – to the best of my ability -- the current state of climate reality, as espoused before me one month ago by no less than the greatest minds analyzing the subject today. And yours is the opportunity to quickly absorb the collective wisdom of over 75 experts speaking at 5 plenary and 20 breakout sessions, and countless marvelous conversations, all spread over 3 days. And to discover or affirm the myriad inconvenient truths behind the “global warming” hype.

Let’s begin with arguably the most significant but unquestionably the most conference-ubiquitous.

Currents and Current Cooling

For years now, alarmists have arrogantly ignored the cooling we’ve experienced worldwide since 1999, continuing their demands that we sacrifice everything – jobs, money, comfort, progress and ultimately, freedom -- to halt fictitious “runaway global warming.” Such unfounded hysteria seems all the more inane after hearing the unvarnished truth from the experts at ICCC-4, beginning with their predictions that the global cooling will likely continue for the next few decades.

Geologist Don Easterbrook was one of many attending scientists attributing natural climate variations to solar irradiance and deep ocean currents. His ICCC-4 announced paper, The Looming Threat of Global Cooling, noted the undeniable link between the Pacific Decadal Oscillation (PDO) shifting to its warm mode in 1915 and 1977 and global warming resulting both times. Conversely, in 1945 and 1999 the PDO moved to its cool mode and the globe cooled right along, despite a rapid increase in atmospheric CO2 during the period. What’s more, climate changes in the geologic record show a regular pattern of alternate warming and cooling with a 25-30 year period for the past 500 years. Easterbrook thereby concludes that we should “expect global cooling for the next 2-3 decades that will be far more damaging than global warming would have been.”

EasterBrook_PDO.jpg

continued....
American Thinker: Heartland Conference Establishes Post-Climategate Consensus

Where the hell did you get that lying graph?

From Don Easterbrook. Since 1900, global temperatures have closely correlated with the PDO Index. This belies AGW and portends a coming big chill.

Based on the present cycle, the astrophysicist expects “the beginning of the new Little Ice Age epoch approximately in 2014.”

Now Dr. Spencer is Limpbaughs source, yet look at his graph. Based on satellite data observed over the whole world. It shows that the last decade has been significantly warmer than either of the two preceding decades.

As Easterbrook noted, computer models are the only basis for claiming CO2 is causing global warming. But IPCC models predicted 1ºF warming from 2000 to 2010, yet there’s been no warming beyond the 1998 level. So the models have been proven wrong.

Now that is really odd. No warming since 1998? Yet 2001 to 2010 is the warmest decade on record. And did you even bother to look at the running mean on Dr. Spencer's site? That decade is significantly warmer than 1991 to 2000.

Easterbrook is a liar, and the site that he is quoted on is a wingnut political site, with zero standing concerning science.

Now that is really odd. No warming since 1998? Yet 2001 to 2010 is the warmest decade on record. And did you even bother to look at the running mean on Dr. Spencer's site? That decade is significantly warmer than 1991 to 2000.

Easterbrook is a liar, and the site that he is quoted on is a wingnut political site, with zero standing concerning science.

Warmest decade on record in the history of the world.......? I think not....

Easterbrook is no liar....he said there's been no warming beyond the 1998 level and there hasn't been...even your post affirms that...
2010 is now in a dead heat with 1998 for warmest year, with the following averages through November:

1998 +0.538
2010 +0.526

Squacking Seagull, you are playing games. I did not state that it was the warmest decade in the history of the world, I stated it was the warmest decade in the weather record of the last 180 years.

1998 was a year with the strongest El Nino on record. Given the warming trend, it should have been a record year. However, neither 2005 nor 2010 had record El Ninos, but both have tied 1998 for warmth.

2008 was a year with a strong La Nina, and a record lull in sun activity with a reduced TSI. That should have resulted in a very cold winter. Instead, we ended up with the tenth warmest year on record to that point.

And, yes, Easterbrook is a liar.

Squacking Seagull, you are playing games. I did not state that it was the warmest decade in the history of the world, I stated it was the warmest decade in the weather record of the last 180 years.

1998 was a year with the strongest El Nino on record. Given the warming trend, it should have been a record year. However, neither 2005 nor 2010 had record El Ninos, but both have tied 1998 for warmth.

2008 was a year with a strong La Nina, and a record lull in sun activity with a reduced TSI. That should have resulted in a very cold winter. Instead, we ended up with the tenth warmest year on record to that point.

And, yes, Easterbrook is a liar.

1998, give me a break, El Nino is nothing more than marketing, we had a bad winter in which afterwards the "experts" came up with a theory.

I remember the first "El Nino", 1981-82, winter of, my first in California, I had a 66 mustang fastback that I was out in, drinking and driving, in the rain, it was a light rain, I was surprised to learn it was an, "El Nino". I came from Detroit and the El Nino was so tepid I had to laugh, I mistaked it for a light rain.

I heard the peers were destroyed, big waves, inland the weather was lighter than a typical rain shower anywhere else, but being California, we hype everything, we have the best, and the worst.

El Nino, predicted after the event, El Nino, as a guy from Michigan, it can only be described as, "light rain".

Not only that, those of us that live in areas where we can see the mountain glaciers on a daily basis, just might notice if they reversed the present decline.

Hey West.........check this vid out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZcp_wcDXec&feature=player_embedded#!

Its members of the IPCC who resigned because they state that the science "consesnsus" is bogus........and theres even a former Greenpeace big who says that arctic ice disipation is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overexagerated.....and that the only ting the IPCC reports is the bad stuff and none of the stuff which would support the skeptic viewpoint.

How convenient............

Last edited:
If CO2 traps heat, why does it still get cold in the winter.

If a 2 degree rise in temperatures is devastating to earth, how do we survive the 100 degree swing from the cold of winter the heat of summer.

At best, CO2 is great at keeping things cold, as in the form of Dry Ice, Dry Ice is pure CO2.

If CO2 was so great at trapping heat it would be used in insulated windows instead of Argon gas.

Dude, it is not a overall 2c warm up as you state it, but a avg warm up of 2c over the whole earth. Some area's of the arctic are going to be 5-6c warmer and some other areas could even cool(Eastern Antarctica), these avgs are put together out of a whole year...So some area's there could be a very noticeable warming if we have 2c warming for the global avg. You some how think that the warming would be uniform across the whole earth...Not so.

Co2 is in fact a green house gas. It is proven without doubt, but high levels of course(200,000ppm). It is NOT a powerful green house gas unlike methane, water vapor, but yet it is. I don't believe in the 2-5c kookness, but truth be told it is a green house gas and if the planet where to warm at this level some area's would warm much more, while others would not change or even cool.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back