New Ice Age begins

Discussion in 'Environment' started by mdn2000, Dec 3, 2010.

1. mdn2000

mdn2000 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Thats right, everywhere I go everyone is astonished at the freezing cold that has gripped Europe. I have the privilege of working with people from Slovenia, Argentina, Romania, and
    Spain (I am in Spain). Everyone is talking about the sudden, abrupt change to winter so early in the season. The news is full of reports from England about the danger of the cold, I have yet to see the news this morning but last night the worry was they would not be able to move food on the frozen roads. Even the Russian TV station is speaking of extreme cold.

This is the beginning of a new Ice Age.

Dont look for the news reports in the USA, compared to the rest of the world there is a news blackout. So many events are not reported at all in the USA.

BBC News - European countries battle weather chaos

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,394
    Does the snow in Spain fall mainly on the plain?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. mdn2000

mdn2000 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +278
    We have had a couple of very light flurries the last five days I have been here.

Watching the news in Spain is enlightening, Britain is being devastated by the cold and the snow.

Over 30 people dead across Europe due to the cold.

4. mdn2000

mdn2000 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Once again a very cold day in Madrid, -5 C, the average is 6 C.

That is a huge drop in the average temperature.

The ice age has begun.

5. Matthew

Matthew Blue dog all the way!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,167
    Snow in Europe sure as fuck doesn't=ice age. Decades of colder temperatures and growing glaciers do...Guess what, We don't have colder temperatures year after year or growing glaciers over much of earth. End of discussion...I been hearing about this coming ice age stuff for decades and yet it never comes and we will NOT have warning when it really does, but it will come with little or no warning. Period.

A bad winter for one part of the world like Europe doesn't mean that other parts aren't having well below normal snow. I think we're a few hundred years before the next cool period.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  6. Sarah G

Sarah G When Nothing Goes Right, Go Left Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,989
    I wish it would have begun last summer when NW Ohio was sweltering in 100 degree heat from June thru September..

7. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,315
    28 dead from cold over the whole of Europe in this cold snap. 11,000 dead just in Russia from the heat wave there last summer. Not exactly equal events.

8. zzzz

zzzz Just a regular American

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +429
    The earth is a complex ecosystem that can respond dramatically to pressures over time. The whole weather complex is an attempt to equalize the temperature and moisture throughout the atmosphere. Due to the rotation of earth, the heating of the sun and cooling of the nights, not to mention the fluctuation of carbon and other elements, the atmosphere never attains this equalization. Some places are always enduring abnormal cold temperatures and some abnormal heat. The same goes for rain, snowfall and other weather related abnormalties. This is not unusal, it has been happening since the earth acquired an atmosphere.

Our puny lifespans make these instances seem like they are extrodinary events, where in reality they occur quite frequently in the life of the planet. This cold winter is just a blip in time and it will pass. Next year it may be a winter with higher than normal tempertures.

Its all relative!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. Big Fitz

Big Fitz User Quit *****

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,475
    Mother Nature proves once again that she's a bitch, and mankind can do little to change her mind.

10. mdn2000

mdn2000 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Ice age or not, its impossible to say, what is clear is that if this is an ice age it will take hundreds of years before we have proof an ice age even started.

No scientist in the world can prove global warming or global cooling.

I for one pray for more global warming, its easy to see that the warmer the earth means more food production, less energy spent heating homes, less energy spent clearing snow.

we are better off if its warm