New Hampshire man lights himself on fire to protest America’s decline...

Yanno........this country doesn't really look at martyrdom the same way as the rest of the world.

Shaolin monks sometimes immoliate themselves in protest, and they are revered for their sacrifice.

Here in the USA with a "me first" attitude? We look at anothers protest as someone who went around the bend. Besides..........since we really don't know his religion, what if he did practice as a monk and decided that according to his spiritual beliefs, this was an approved form of protest?

It's kinda messed up to damn someone when you color their actions with your brand of morality.

Maybe the OP is not so much about the blazing man, but rather the ever increasing lack of human conscientiousness for our fellow man. Whether or not someone lives or dies is of no concern to us.

Regardless whether the man was depressed, dangerous, or just plain crazy, no one cared enough to notice him burning.
Here's all the suicides reported in the last 30 days. Enjoy the wallow of sadness for them all.

commits suicide - Google News

Enjoy the wallow of sadness for them all? That's a pretty snide remark. You made my point exactly about callous indifference of some people for others. What I find sad is that we, as humans, have reached such a level of indifference that we don't stop to help anyone for any reason - it's none of our business - let some other schmuck worry about it - I've got better things to do.

Maybe the OP is not so much about the blazing man, but rather the ever increasing lack of human conscientiousness for our fellow man. Whether or not someone lives or dies is of no concern to us.

Regardless whether the man was depressed, dangerous, or just plain crazy, no one cared enough to notice him burning.
Here's all the suicides reported in the last 30 days. Enjoy the wallow of sadness for them all.

Enjoy the wallow of sadness for them all? That's a pretty snide remark, but you certainly made my point exactly.

I'm saddened by the fact that we, as humans, have reached such a level of indifference that we just walk away from any situation rather than stop and try to help someone - we have things to do ... people to see ... it's not our problem.

Enjoy the wallow of sadness for them all? That's a pretty snide remark, but you certainly made my point exactly.

I'm saddened by the fact that we, as humans, have reached such a level of indifference that we just walk away from any situation rather than stop and try to help someone - we have things to do ... people to see ... it's not our problem.

Indeed. :(

I'm just saying that people commit suicide every day and there's really no reason to expect that the media cover each and every one to the extent you seem to want them covered.

Why should this guy's suicide be national news? Why sensationalize everything?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_yWyBjDEaU]YouTube - ‪Light My Fire - The Doors‬‏[/ame]

I'm just saying that people commit suicide every day and there's really no reason to expect that the media cover each and every one to the extent you seem to want them covered.

While it's true that suicides occur on a daily basis, I was not talking about media coverage. It's absurd to think that the media would or should cover each and every one of them. The last sentence of the OP's opening paragraph of the media link was "... nobody seemed to notice." I was talking about people who are five feet away from a suicide, a car wreck, a woman going into labor on her lunch hour, see some poor bystander get shot ... and they do nothing. They ignore that there's a problem because it's not THEIR problem. How can someone up close to a situation not be at least horrified and call 911 for assistance?

I think I see the beginnings of a new "reality" show.
God forbid!!! The most recent one I'm aware of is about some woman who owns a nail salon - ah - the Painted Nail, I believe. Who the hell cares whether someone gets their nails done - celebrity or not?!

Darlin' I do believe that song had little to nothing to do with suicide by fire! LOL! But it was a great song anyway.

How about this?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EToJ4lRq0xk]YouTube - ‪Queen - Don't Try Suicide (Lyrics)‬‏[/ame]

Can't speak to stuff done by Queen ... don't want to start now. My children would be more informed about this generation's ... whatever. I will only claim to like a song or two from very few of performers of the time.

While it's true that suicides occur on a daily basis, I was not talking about media coverage. It's absurd to think that the media would or should cover each and every one of them. The last sentence of the OP's opening paragraph of the media link was "... nobody seemed to notice." I was talking about people who are five feet away from a suicide, a car wreck, a woman going into labor on her lunch hour, see some poor bystander get shot ... and they do nothing. They ignore that there's a problem because it's not THEIR problem. How can someone up close to a situation not be at least horrified and call 911 for assistance?
Yes, I agree, that would be awful. I don't think it is all that widespread though. Most people are compassionate and would help in an emergency.

Forum List

Back