New evidence suggests Stone Age hunters from Europe discovered America

get_involved

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2009
"New archaeological evidence suggests that America was first discovered by Stone Age people from Europe – 10,000 years before the Siberian-originating ancestors of the American Indians set foot in the New World.

A remarkable series of several dozen European-style stone tools, dating back between 19,000 and 26,000 years, have been discovered at six locations along the US east coast. Three of the sites are on the Delmarva Peninsular in Maryland, discovered by archaeologist Dr Darrin Lowery of the University of Delaware. One is in Pennsylvania and another in Virginia. A sixth was discovered by scallop-dredging fishermen on the seabed 60 miles from the Virginian coast on what, in prehistoric times, would have been dry land."

New evidence suggests Stone Age hunters from Europe discovered America - Americas - World - The Independent

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3rsqSzdDUM&feature=player_detailpage]Who Really Discovered America? History Channel (Part 1) - YouTube[/ame]

Well, we knew it was just a matter of time before "new evidence" showed that whites discovered America.

Und der Katze sagt:

(1) The American continent is just where it's always been, allowing for a few meters of continental drift, I suppose. I believe the concept of "discovering" America, is just a bit ethnocentric.

(2) And how do you prove these proto-European people were actually "white?"

(3) Define "white."

Well, we knew it was just a matter of time before "new evidence" showed that whites discovered America.

Und der Katze sagt:

(1) The American continent is just where it's always been, allowing for a few meters of continental drift, I suppose. I believe the concept of "discovering" America, is just a bit ethnocentric.

(2) And how do you prove these proto-European people were actually "white?"

(3) Define "white."

Never mind loony Lakhota, the rest of us ignore the wacko. She is just one of the message boards inferior racist posters.

I don't doubt that pre-historic early men "discovered" the Western hemisphere more than once over the last 40,000 years or so.

In fact I would be very surprised if that did NOT happen.

I expect that prehistorical groups migrated east from Europe over an ice bridge, west from Asia over an ice bridge and also migrating both east and west via ocean voyages.

But it appears, based on genetics, that the group whose migrations ended with them dominating the western hemiphere was the people who came via Asia.

"New archaeological evidence suggests that America was first discovered by Stone Age people from Europe – 10,000 years before the Siberian-originating ancestors of the American Indians set foot in the New World.

A remarkable series of several dozen European-style stone tools, dating back between 19,000 and 26,000 years, have been discovered at six locations along the US east coast. Three of the sites are on the Delmarva Peninsular in Maryland, discovered by archaeologist Dr Darrin Lowery of the University of Delaware. One is in Pennsylvania and another in Virginia. A sixth was discovered by scallop-dredging fishermen on the seabed 60 miles from the Virginian coast on what, in prehistoric times, would have been dry land."

New evidence suggests Stone Age hunters from Europe discovered America - Americas - World - The Independent

This is one of my pet peeves.

What is meant by the term discovery is not that someone set foot here, if it was then the Americas were likely discovered by some of our ancestors hundreds of thousands of years ago.

What is meant by the use of the word 'discovery' (to remove cover or reveal) in this context is that somone got here recording their route by trade winds, currents and astronomical observations so that one could sail the open oceans and sail directly here without hugging the coasts.

People pretty much had to stay within frequent site of land and navigated by sighting 'landmarks' prior to Columbuses discovery of trade winds and currents that allowed him to daringly cross the open ocean looking for China. He also measured his progress westward by use of astronomical charts and angles of the sun to get a rough idea of where he was on the globe, a primitive form of celestial navigation, though not entirely accurate enough to navigate by at that time it still provided a kind of 'sanity check'.

In the modern sense of being able to acurately repeat his journeys easily, he opened the way to the New World to other people who wanted to cross to it, hence 'discovering' it for future travelers.

Last edited:

This is one of my pet peeves.

What is meant by the term discovery is not that someone set foot here, if it was then the Americas were likely discovered by some of our ancestors hundreds of thousands of years ago.

What is meant by the use of the word 'discovery' (to remove cover or reveal) in this context is that somone got here recording their route by trade winds, currents and astronomical observations so that one could sail the open oceans and sail directly here without hugging the coasts.

People pretty much had to stay within frequent site of land and navigated by sighting 'landmarks' prior to Columbuses discovery of trade winds and currents that allowed him to daringly cross the open ocean looking for China. He also measured his progress westward by use of astronomical charts and angles of the sun to get a rough idea of where he was on the globe, a primitive form of celestial navigation, though not entirely accurate enough to navigate by at that time it still provided a kind of 'sanity check'.

In the modern sense of being able to acurately repeat his journeys easily, he opened the way to the New World to other people who wanted to cross to it, hence 'discovering' it for future travelers.
Thank you for this post; a more applicable word might be "revealed", though that is awkward, I admit. Still, the explanation is useful.

Wow, leave it to a libtard to get racisalism into the subject.

:razz:
Rather ODD to use the term DISCOVERED for a land that was already there, inhabited, and with functional societies.

Und der Katze sagt:

But you have to ask the question, "What were those Indians doing on our land when we got here?"

Forum List

Back