New Drug Impressive Against Crohn's Disease and Multiple Sclerosis

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by Adam's Apple, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    But Americans can't get it.

The Search for A Cure
    By Lewis A. Fein for Jewish World Review
    July 12, 2005

Typically, I write columns about politics or foreign policy, issues that generate passionately supportive or vehemently oppositional feedback. But I am also a person who feels - yes, feels - deeply concerned about an attitude that affects not only my life but the lives of millions of people nationwide.
    I have Crohn's Disease, a chronic condition that causes physical pain, weight loss, fever and fatigue. It requires a lifetime of prescription medication and a doctor's care. Yet, my case has its own political message, a metaphor for regulatory change and economic action.

First, let me praise the very existence of an institution like the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The agency performs a valuable public service, bestowing its credibility upon - or withdrawing its support for - products that grace pharmacies and store shelves throughout the country. The agency provides consumers with needed information about a drug's safety, efficacy, trial history or side effects. A delicate balance nonetheless exists between the FDA's authority and people's medical needs.

The manufacturers of the MS treatment Tysabri, which also has excellent clinical results for patients with Crohn's, stands before the FDA's imperial whims. Despite this medication's impressive history, the public may not purchase this new drug. Awaiting the results of a comprehensive data review -- encouraged by the culture of indecision (or negative action) that predominates throughout the FDA -- punishes the sick.

for full article:
    http://www.jewishworldreview.com/0705/fein1.asp

2. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,866
    MS treatment may be a scam...
    :confused:
    Concerns about controversial MS treatment
    7 March 2011 - Serious concerns have been raised about a controversial vein-widening treatment being offered to people with multiple sclerosis.

3. geauxtohell

geauxtohell Choose your weapon.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    It's a -zumab class drug. In other words, a monoclonal antibody, which is what is typically used for autoimmune pathologies.

On the one hand, the OP praises the FDA's procedure for protecting the patients. On the other, he condemns it. He can't have it both ways.

As it stands, it appears it's being approved for a certain indication for Chron's. That doesn't stop a physician from prescribing it "off label" for Chron's.

I'd want to see what sort of "impressive history" it has in regards to Chron's.

4. waltky

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,866
    Mebbe the glandular fever is a pre-cursor to MS?...
    :confused:
    Virus and low sunlight 'raises multiple sclerosis risk'
    19 April 2011 - Low levels of sunlight exposure have been linked to MS

5. waltky

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,866
    A “breakthrough” in the treatment of multiple sclerosis...
    :clap2:
    Researchers Offer Promising New Treatment for MS
    June 06, 2013 > Researchers have developed what’s being hailed as a “breakthrough” in the treatment of multiple sclerosis, a crippling autoimmune disease that attacks the outer sheath of nerve cells, eventually disabling many of those with the neurological condition. The new treatment involves sweeping away immune system cells responsible for MS.