New AZ law: Firms have no legal duty to have translators

PHOENIX - A Glendale optometrist's yearlong legal fight over what services he had to provide for a Spanish-speaking customer has translated into new protections for other businesses.

Gov. Jan Brewer has signed legislation affirming that nothing in state law requires businesses to provide "trained and competent" interpreters when a customer comes in speaking a language other than English.

Assistant Attorney General Michael Walker said that has probably always been the law. But that didn't save John Schrolucke from having to spend time and money defending himself and his practice before Walker's office finally dismissed the case.

Schrolucke told lawmakers the incident stems from a patient who spoke only Spanish. Although she did bring her 12-year-old child with her to the office, he said allowing the child to interpret for the parent would have gotten him into legal trouble.

He said he faced a potential malpractice lawsuit if the child did not properly translate some of the more technical explanations being provided, so he turned the woman away, telling her through her child to come back with someone at least 18 years old.

:clap2:

What if the person is speaking ASL?

They can take a translator or a pen and paper or ask for a referral tom someplace that can help them.

You go you Republican doofuses with your hatred of Latinos.

You realizing that you're speaking to a moderate Social Democrat who's half Hispanic [~1/4 native], right?

Once again you make a fool of yourself.
Your ethnic roots don't prevent you from being an idiot. :thup:

You assumed only racist Republicans supported this law.

You made a fool of yourself. It's par for the course with you.

You probably think Border Patrol is a bunch of rednecks, don't you?

You realizing that you're speaking to a moderate Social Democrat who's half Hispanic [~1/4 native], right?

Fact is, many of those border patrol agents are hispanics themselves.

Those damn racist bastards!

:razz:

Nope, I assumed that Brewer is a Republican. And she is.

Dear idiots , they provide spanish to make money from spanish speakers not because there is any fucking law.

Dear fool,

The law resulted from a frivolous lawsuit by a Spanish speaker. Businesses now know where they stand.... they are not legally obligated to provide translators. This is a good thing for business. They can decide for themselves.

Your welcome.
California Girl
Businesses never were.

It is a law that forbids something that is already illegal and yet another stab from Republicans at latinos.

Delicious.

Clarifying that this is the law apparently was necessary to prevent further abuse of private business owners at the hands of immigrants expecting us to provide them with interpreters.

PHOENIX - A Glendale optometrist's yearlong legal fight over what services he had to provide for a Spanish-speaking customer has translated into new protections for other businesses.

Gov. Jan Brewer has signed legislation affirming that nothing in state law requires businesses to provide "trained and competent" interpreters when a customer comes in speaking a language other than English.

Assistant Attorney General Michael Walker said that has probably always been the law. But that didn't save John Schrolucke from having to spend time and money defending himself and his practice before Walker's office finally dismissed the case.

Schrolucke told lawmakers the incident stems from a patient who spoke only Spanish. Although she did bring her 12-year-old child with her to the office, he said allowing the child to interpret for the parent would have gotten him into legal trouble.

He said he faced a potential malpractice lawsuit if the child did not properly translate some of the more technical explanations being provided, so he turned the woman away, telling her through her child to come back with someone at least 18 years old.

:clap2:

What if the person is speaking ASL?

If they're using ASL they are not speaking.

I think they should stop printing government documents in Spanish, that in itself would save a lot of money, not to mention trees.

You go you Republican doofuses with your hatred of Latinos.

Funny, I wasn't going to say this, but I was just thinking, When did you become an idiot, Ravi?

I apologize for the personal attack but I've had it with you. I used to respect you but you drummed that right out of me.

Actually what I believe the law does is stop law suits being leveled at business who do not cater to non english speakers for discrimination.

I think they should stop printing government documents in Spanish, that in itself would save a lot of money, not to mention trees.

Ever see how many languages the drivers handbook are printed in? Election forms? Its not just spanish.

If they'd let the lawsuit succeed, everyone who speaks Pig Latin, Swahili, or Orcish could sue for lack of translator. Ultimately, it'd become a tool for racist hispanics to sue White-owned businesses out of existence.

If they'd let the lawsuit succeed, everyone who speaks Pig Latin, Swahili, or Orcish could sue for lack of translator. Ultimately, it'd become a tool for racist hispanics to sue White-owned businesses out of existence.
The lawsuit wouldn't have succeeded and in fact should have never been considered because there is no requirement for a business to provide a translator to begin with.

The lawsuit wouldn't have succeeded and in fact should have never been considered because there is no requirement for a business to provide a translator to begin with.

Exactly, but that didn't stop them from trying to push it. The law has been clarified, which was why it was heard.

And that's what this law makes clear for future reference, before they try it again.

Yes Ravi sees this as "Racist" while others see it as common sense. If I were that doctor I'd sue the fucking lawyers who dragged this out for a year. And if they claim "ignorance" of a "law that was already on the books" they should lose their licenses.

Yes Ravi sees this as "Racist" while others see it as common sense. If I were that doctor I'd sue the fucking lawyers who dragged this out for a year. And if they claim "ignorance" of a "law that was already on the books" they should lose their licenses.
Yes...that is what should have happened. It was never a requirement that a business offer translation services.

This law is just Arizona continuing to portray itself as a racist bunch of morons.

This law is just Arizona continuing to portray itself as a racist bunch of morons.

I don't believe that it is racist for business not to have translators.

When I go into chinatown I sure don't expect them to provided me with someone who will translate chineese into english, nor do I consider it racists that they do not.

Forum List

Back