Netflix new WW1 movie is good

Quasar44

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 21, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
All is quite on the Western Front

A new adaptation

Movie really does a great job showing the horrors of war on a personal level.
You see the movie through Paul and his friends

The cinematography is superb
It really captures the darkness and futility of this stupid war to the end

Interesting to see how Paul greatly changes during the movie and by the end his soul is dead and he has transformed into a callous cruel person.

The war scenes are fantastic but small scale. This movie is the 2nd best movie of the year

Just finished watching it.

Very impressed, with the cinematography, and attention to detail. The acting was also brilliant.

But the director made the point; the utter futility of that war. Particularly the final scenes. The main protagonist died just minutes before the cease fire. :eek:

And the vanity and conceit of the military in charge, generals etc, feasting on fine wines and food, while the young soldiers endured agonising deaths in the blood and mud of the battlefield.

The final onslaught from the reluctant German soldiers. A total waste of time, just to satisfy the bloodlust of some stupid general.

Watched it last night.
Very Good. The measure of a really good foreign movie is if you forget you are reading subtitles.
You forget you are reading subtitles.
Extremely well done. What is especially poignant about this movie is not only that it shows the shear futility of this largescale war - but even more so because we know Germany will turn around and do it again a few decades later.
I admit I haven't really read a lot about WW I. It was a war overshadowed by WW II.
How accurate is it that German troops committed wholesale abandonment and everyone in Germany hated the war? Is this true? Reading a little about this, it doesn't seem to be. Rather it was popular and there was a large sense of nationalism by the Germans who were lead to believe it was going well.

Just finished watching it.

Very impressed, with the cinematography, and attention to detail. The acting was also brilliant.

But the director made the point; the utter futility of that war. Particularly the final scenes. The main protagonist died just minutes before the cease fire. :eek:

And the vanity and conceit of the military in charge, generals etc, feasting on fine wines and food, while the young soldiers endured agonising deaths in the blood and mud of the battlefield.

The final onslaught from the reluctant German soldiers. A total waste of time, just to satisfy the bloodlust of some stupid general.
WWI is the war that should have never happened. As we know, the war was touched off by the assassination of Austro-Hungarian Archduke Franz Ferdinand by Bosnian Serb Gavrilo Princip. However, if it had not been for the military alliances in Europe, this would have just been a diplomatic confrontation. Russia was allied Serbia, Germany with Austria-Hungary, France with Russia, Britain with France, and Belgium with Japan and Britain. Couple these military alliances with all new tools of war that military planners were anxious to see in action and war was inevitable.

Austria-Hungary declared war on Serbia, Russia got involved to defend Serbia. Germany seeing Russia mobilizing, declared war on Russia. France was then drawn in against Germany and Austria-Hungary. Germany attacked France through Belgium pulling Britain into war. Then Japan entered the war. Later, Italy and the United States would enter on the side of the allies.

If you had asked the man on street in London or a soldier in the trenches as to why their country should be at war, you would likely get a shrug of the shoulder.

Last edited:
No matter how well the war is dramatized, I've seen a bit too much of the horrors and suffering that last long after the last shot is fired. I'm sure it's a good movie, but not for me.

No matter how well the war is dramatized, I've seen a bit too much of the horrors and suffering that last long after the last shot is fired. I'm sure it's a good movie, but not for me.
There is actually not a lot of fighting in it. 4 or 5 scenes that don't last very long
It is more about the the experience of a small band of young men who eagerly signed up, led to believe Germany was blowing through French lines (that is what they were told)... only to find out it is hell on earth, and the entire battle is stuck in mud. Then the movie concentrates on their relationships and shows how when men are fighting in war, you are not fighting for God and country. You are just trying to stay alive and fight to keep your buddies alive.

There is actually not a lot of fighting in it. 4 or 5 scenes that don't last very long
It is more about the the experience of a small band of young men who eagerly signed up, led to believe Germany was blowing through French lines (that is what they were told)... only to find out it is hell on earth, and the entire battle is stuck in mud. Then the movie concentrates on their relationships and shows how when men are fighting in war, you are not fighting for God and country. You are just trying to stay alive and fight to keep your buddies alive.
I'm sure it's a great movie, but at my stage of life I really don't need the dramatization of the futility and horror of war. I read All is Quiet on the Western Front years ago, saw the 1979 movie, and lived through enough war. That's enough for me but glad you enjoyed the movie.

I'm sure it's a great movie, but at my stage of life I really don't need the dramatization of the futility and horror of war. I read All is Quiet on the Western Front years ago, saw the 1979 movie, and lived through enough war. That's enough for me but glad you enjoyed the movie.
If you served... thank you. If you saw battle... thank you even more

If you served... thank you. If you saw battle... thank you even more
No, never served. My father served in WWII, my uncle died in action, and my brother served in the the Korean War and I avoided service like the plague. Got a college deferment, went to work for McDonald Douglas and got deferred again and then got sent to Nam as a contractor for 6 mos. I tried to stay as far as possible from military service.

Last edited:
Watched it last night.
Very Good. The measure of a really good foreign movie is if you forget you are reading subtitles.
You forget you are reading subtitles.
Extremely well done. What is especially poignant about this movie is not only that it shows the shear futility of this largescale war - but even more so because we know Germany will turn around and do it again a few decades later.
I admit I haven't really read a lot about WW I. It was a war overshadowed by WW II.
How accurate is it that German troops committed wholesale abandonment and everyone in Germany hated the war? Is this true? Reading a little about this, it doesn't seem to be. Rather it was popular and there was a large sense of nationalism by the Germans who were lead to believe it was going well.
My father and I read whole libraries of books about WWII.

A few years ago, I started studying WWI. I started with the iconic The Guns of August by Barbara W. Tuchman.

I recently finished The War That Ended Peace by Margaret MacMillan.

Both are outstanding reads.

This new movie version of All Quiet is very good.

Mindful

Also, Dark.

^ Nowadays , yes.

But some of their previous offerings. :rolleyes:

Like their fascination with Rosamund Pilcher romance novels.

BMW’s in Cornwall, and the farcical depiction of English people, on TV. Almost as awful as the “American Emily in Paris”.

Forum List

Back