Need Your Tech Help USMB

You need to goto HP and input you model number drivers in the search field. Download all the audio stuff and intall it on your PC.

I would uninstall the audio software you already installed before installing the drivers.
Use the control panel to reinstall thew audio drivers. ie update driver.
You probably wound up with some generic windows drivers that do not work correctly.

Might be the case. So pretty much uninstall the audio driver and Realtek? Or just the audio driver?

I'm usually good about this stuff, but not having to fix anything in a long time makes you rusty. :lol:

You need to goto HP and input you model number drivers in the search field. Download all the audio stuff and intall it on your PC.

I would uninstall the audio software you already installed before installing the drivers.
Use the control panel to reinstall thew audio drivers. ie update driver.
You probably wound up with some generic windows drivers that do not work correctly.

Might be the case. So pretty much uninstall the audio driver and Realtek? Or just the audio driver?

I'm usually good about this stuff, but not having to fix anything in a long time makes you rusty. :lol:

LOL talk about rusty. You do have your win3.1 floppys handy don't ya?

Yeah uninstall the old audio stuff and then install the new stuff drivers and codecs first.

Yeah uninstall the old audio stuff and then install the new stuff drivers and codecs first.

:lol: Not at all. Let me give you some perspective. I got this computer over five years ago, and I've moved since then too. So..yeah. :lol:

I mean my computer works perfect, it's just that the headphones don't work in the front jack.

:lol: Not at all. Let me give you some perspective. I got this computer over five years ago, and I've moved since then too. So..yeah. :lol:

I mean my computer works perfect, it's just that the headphones don't work in the front jack.

but the back jack audio is fine?

Are you sure your headphones work?

How about the cup holder does it go in and out fine?

Haven't checked the back jack. And my headphones wouldn't reach that far anyway. I need to get a pair that extends longer due to these being a pair I just got recently when my other ones went after a couple years.

And the headphones I'm using now definitely work. Work perfect on my Mac.

Haven't checked the back jack. And my headphones wouldn't reach that far anyway. I need to get a pair that extends longer due to these being a pair I just got recently when my other ones went after a couple years.

And the headphones I'm using now definitely work. Work perfect on my Mac.

Is your pC hooked to speakers? ie does it make sounds someway other than thru the front headphone jack?

Hey there USMB. I currently need your tech help for those who can solve my problem I'm having.

Short Summary: Had to do a complete system restore for my desktop computer. Lost everything, had to put everything back on it.

I had to reinstall Realtek HD Audio Manager and this is where the problem comes in.

My headphones currently are not being recognized by Realtek. I plug them in, and nothing happens. My speakers work perfect, but the headphones are just not reading as being there despite the fact they're plugged in.

And before you ask:

Using Windows XP
It's a couple years old
No, it's not on mute.

So, any ideas?

Any help would be greatly appreciate.
Last time I had that exact same problem I undid the system restore and did another at a later date checkpoint. That was the simplest solution to undoing the lost sound.

Last edited:
Hey there USMB. I currently need your tech help for those who can solve my problem I'm having.

Short Summary: Had to do a complete system restore for my desktop computer. Lost everything, had to put everything back on it.

I had to reinstall Realtek HD Audio Manager and this is where the problem comes in.

My headphones currently are not being recognized by Realtek. I plug them in, and nothing happens. My speakers work perfect, but the headphones are just not reading as being there despite the fact they're plugged in.

And before you ask:

Using Windows XP
It's a couple years old
No, it's not on mute.

So, any ideas?

Any help would be greatly appreciate.
Last time I had that exact same problem I undid the system restore and did another at a later date checkpoint. That was the simplest solution to undoing the lost sound.

but he says his speakers work just not the neadphone jack on the front of his PC.

Now that is wierd. Sounds like a hardware problem. Maybe a bad jack?

If my headphones weren't working fine three days ago before the system restore, I would think so too. It is very odd. And it does sound like a hardware problem.

Only thing is how to go about fixing it.

If my headphones weren't working fine three days ago before the system restore, I would think so too. It is very odd. And it does sound like a hardware problem.

Dog, any time I notice an unexpected change after a system restore I undo, check results and do again at a later date; that's the quick and easy way of troubleshooting it. (after I've checked hardware, of course)

Last edited:

Dog, any time I notice an unexpected change after a system restore I undo, check results and do again at a later date; that's the quick and easy way of troubleshooting it. (after I've checked hardware, of course)
It sounds like he did a reinstall of the OS and not a restore from his first post.

The question becomes was it a check point restore or a complete reinstall of the OS.

The answer to your problem is simple, Dogbert. Get Ubuntu!

:lol: That good Jon?

I'm actually going to be looking at some computers and be getting a new one by this summer it looks like. I haven't fixed the headphone sound on this current desktop yet, but it's getting to the point where if I want to play certain games on it (like Hearts of Iron 3) I'll need a new video card,etc.

It's given me 5 years of good service though.

The answer to your problem is simple, Dogbert. Get Ubuntu!

:lol: That good Jon?

I'm actually going to be looking at some computers and be getting a new one by this summer it looks like. I haven't fixed the headphone sound on this current desktop yet, but it's getting to the point where if I want to play certain games on it (like Hearts of Iron 3) I'll need a new video card,etc.

It's given me 5 years of good service though.

Actually I was going to take up the KittenKoderKross here and say the same thing. Load it, plug in what ya need to plug in and it works.
Just switched printers a little while back, it recognized and loaded drivers for the new printer in seconds and I didn't have to use the install disc or hunt online for drivers.

Actually I was going to take up the KittenKoderKross here and say the same thing. Load it, plug in what ya need to plug in and it works.
Just switched printers a little while back, it recognized and loaded drivers for the new printer in seconds and I didn't have to use the install disc or hunt online for drivers.

Interesting. :eusa_think:

By the way all, thanks for your help, all fixed. I was able to download the correct stuff. :lol:

This happened before to my son, and I forgot exactly what I did. I think I did this:

Make sure no anti spyware, or virus protection is running in the background.

Add and remove Realtech program you installed, then device driver unintall, plug in the headset before all this too. reinstall realtech. Make sure you installed the correct one for your sound card.

Want to know what sound card you have?

Try downloading this and run it will show you what you have...then search web for the newest driver.

Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit

It's some glitch with either the drivers or the software. Don't ask me why but having the headphones plugged in helped.

Forum List

Back