Need Your Tech Help USMB

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Hey there USMB. I currently need your tech help for those who can solve my problem I'm having.

Short Summary: Had to do a complete system restore for my desktop computer. Lost everything, had to put everything back on it.

I had to reinstall Realtek HD Audio Manager and this is where the problem comes in.

My headphones currently are not being recognized by Realtek. I plug them in, and nothing happens. My speakers work perfect, but the headphones are just not reading as being there despite the fact they're plugged in.

And before you ask:

Using Windows XP
It's a couple years old
No, it's not on mute.

So, any ideas?

Any help would be greatly appreciate.

you don't have the speakers plugged into the microphone jack do ya?

Pretty sure I don't. Everything is setup as it was before I had to do a system restore. And it worked fine previously.

Or go to HP and input your model number searching for drivers if you do not have them.

Also did you check your audio hardware in control panel/system/hardware/device manager.

Is your audio flagged red or with an excalamation point?

Nope, nothing flagged red or with a !. There are some red arrows if you go into a little deeper but that looks normal.

I will send my son, he is very good at turning things on and off that you have never even seen on your PC or cell phone. :D

Or go to HP and input your model number searching for drivers if you do not have them.

Also did you check your audio hardware in control panel/system/hardware/device manager.

Is your audio flagged red or with an excalamation point?

Nope, nothing flagged red or with a !. There are some red arrows if you go into a little deeper but that looks normal.

I would try re-installing your sound board drivers and then maybe reinstall the audio application. The drivers should be in place before the audio application is installed.
I would uninstall the audio application, install the drivers and reinstall the audio application/manager.

I will send my son, he is very good at turning things on and off that you have never even seen on your PC or cell phone. :D

Don't forget to leave breathing holes in the fedex box! :eusa_whistle: :lol:

Also why did you have to reload? Unknown?

I would go to the dos prompt and run chkdsk /f.
It will scan the hard drive directory structure/fat for errors and fix if found.
It should not damage any installed software unless some of it is written into a bad spot on the disk. In which case it is hosed already and it might fix the software.

I would try re-installing your sound board drivers and then maybe reinstall the audio application. The drivers should be in place before the audio application is installed.
I would uninstall the audio application, install the drivers and reinstall the audio application/manager.

Hmm, can I get all that online still? I think you may of mentioned HP earlier?

Also why did you have to reload? Unknown?

I would go to the dos prompt and run chkdsk /f.
It will scan the hard drive directory structure/fat for errors and fix if found.
It should not damage any installed software unless some of it is written into a bad spot on the disk. In which case it is hosed already and it might fix the software.

Oh I knew why.

And hmm, it says everything is "working" when you go over it. Not that I've done what you just said though.

And I'm not using any discs.

I checked my device manager, I don't think red arrows are normal.

Click on Audio Codecs and go to Properties. That's where they show up for me.

No red arrows for me there. If your audio codecs are messed up that would likely explain the situation. Teh audio codecs should be on your CD that came with the computer or find em on HP's site. you need the exact model number for the drivers and such.

Last edited:
No red arrows for me there. If your audio codecs are messed up that would likely explain the situation. Teh audio codecs should be on your CD that came with the computer or find em on HP's site. you need the exact model number for the drivers and such.

So what would I have to do in order then to repair that?

And would it make a difference if the location for the audio codec is unknown?

So what would I have to do in order then to repair that?

And would it make a difference if the location for the audio codec is unknown?

You need to goto HP and input you model number drivers in the search field. Download all the audio stuff and intall it on your PC.

I would uninstall the audio software you already installed before installing the drivers.
Use the control panel to reinstall thew audio drivers. ie update driver.
You probably wound up with some generic windows drivers that do not work correctly.

Forum List

Back