Need some opinions from thos who know.

I like to hike. I like to do it in mountains and stuff. At 38 I was given blood bressure meds called Bystolic. Its a beta blocker. Since I started takeing those, I can make maybe 9,500 feet before it starts to hurt, at 10,000 feet I'm in missery, beyond 10,000 feet is impossible. I just can't breath. I asked my Dr. about it and he said that the meds worked by slowing down your heart, and because of that, my heart struggles to get oxygen where it needs to be. Fine I say, how about stopping ? He said bad idea. I was bummed. But, this dude I work with was on beta blockers. He said that when he quit smokeing, and lost weight that he was able to get off them (the beta blockers). I already dropped 14 pounds, I'm at 214, BP is in the high green to middle low yellow on the machine at CVS which for me is good. I figure that I can drop down to 180, cut back on cofee, quit the ciggi's and then stop the meds. Anyone.done this with beta blo kers before ? Oh, please read my disclaimer below.

I understand that it is a bad idea to take medical advice from the internet, I understand the risks involved and absolve any poster who replies, as well as USMB and its admin, are not responcible for anything.that results from it.

I don't recommend anyone attempting what I did. Yet, it worked for me.

I went cold turkey last year and stopped taking all medicines and changed my eating habits a great deal, especially in regards to eating a lot of meat.

I began walking, and I mean walking a lot. I just finished walking the long journey earlier this week, a trek that lasted 10 months. I started in Stockholm. I hiked south across Europe. I crossed the Pyrannees along the pilgrimage of the Camino de Santiago, and for two months slowly made my way to the sea 1000 kilometers later. I then decided to keep going, making my way to Israel where I walked from the Sinai to the Golan Heights, crisscrossing many sites from the Bible. I made it to India in August, working there at a Holy Site until only a couple of weeks ago. Now I am back home.

I lost 16 kilos or about 40 pounds in the last 10 months, walking 25 - 30 kilometers a day. My blood pressure and cholesterol are not only normal, but in the best ranges.

Now, as I drink a beer, eat a ham and cheese sandwich, and watch television for the first time in months during the gathering snowstorm here in Stockholm, I can only enjoy the moment, knowing it is all to easy to go back to the way I was.

I know I won't. Yet, for now, this does seem like bliss.

Last edited:
i dropped my weight

still doing so actually

i changed one thing and one thing only

i stopped drinking soda all soda including diet soda

If you drink just one 20 oz Pepsi per day, that is 1750 calories per week. Two 20 oz bottles of Pepsi per day equals 3500 calories per week. That amounts to one pound of weight loss per week.

Forum List

Back