Need some opinions from thos who know.

earlycuyler

Extra long Bad Ass Cut.
Sep 17, 2011
Drivers seat.
I like to hike. I like to do it in mountains and stuff. At 38 I was given blood bressure meds called Bystolic. Its a beta blocker. Since I started takeing those, I can make maybe 9,500 feet before it starts to hurt, at 10,000 feet I'm in missery, beyond 10,000 feet is impossible. I just can't breath. I asked my Dr. about it and he said that the meds worked by slowing down your heart, and because of that, my heart struggles to get oxygen where it needs to be. Fine I say, how about stopping ? He said bad idea. I was bummed. But, this dude I work with was on beta blockers. He said that when he quit smokeing, and lost weight that he was able to get off them (the beta blockers). I already dropped 14 pounds, I'm at 214, BP is in the high green to middle low yellow on the machine at CVS which for me is good. I figure that I can drop down to 180, cut back on cofee, quit the ciggi's and then stop the meds. Anyone.done this with beta blo kers before ? Oh, please read my disclaimer below.

I understand that it is a bad idea to take medical advice from the internet, I understand the risks involved and absolve any poster who replies, as well as USMB and its admin, are not responcible for anything.that results from it.

Last edited:
Quit smoking should help improve things dramatically.

I'm thinking so. I can say honestlh that just changeing what I eat has lost me 14 pounds. And thsts still eating sweets, and drinking cokes. I figure, quit the sodas, quit the smokes, check the bp, and slowly step.down off the meds.

Ax your doc about Mavik. It's a Trandolapril, AKA angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor.

Angiotensin II is a chemical substance made in the body that causes the muscles in the walls of arteries and veins to contract, narrowing the arteries and veins and thereby elevating blood pressure. Angiotensin II is formed by ACE. Trandolapril is an inhibitor of ACE and blocks the formation of angiotensin II thereby lowering blood pressure.

Trandolapril (Mavik) Drug Side Effects, Drug Interactions, Dosage - MedicineNet

I've been on it for about 20 years. It's a different way of addressing the bp issue and there's no mention of it altering heart function.

Good luck, and keep on keepin' on. :thup:

Ax your doc about Mavik. It's a Trandolapril, AKA angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor.

Angiotensin II is a chemical substance made in the body that causes the muscles in the walls of arteries and veins to contract, narrowing the arteries and veins and thereby elevating blood pressure. Angiotensin II is formed by ACE. Trandolapril is an inhibitor of ACE and blocks the formation of angiotensin II thereby lowering blood pressure.

I've been on it for about 20 years. It's a different way of addressing the bp issue and there's no mention of it altering heart function.

I plan on it. This dude resists he idea compleatly. He is just to pushey for me. Talks more.then listens. Sure, I'm deficult, but still, my money, me,me,me ! I just need to be able.to hike to 14,000 and maube I'll let it go. I'll ask about hose meds, and thanks.

Is it possible for you to find a different doc? He kinda sounds like a jerk.

He is. See, he is a very young dudd that sees me as old. I will be 40 in Feb. Anyway, he gets annoyed because I ask questions, I'm not trying to second guess or anything, I just want to be able to get all g and shit. He also wants to do surgeries on my elbows that are not with out risk, the way he sees it, in need.to be doing other stuff for work and fun. Punk. I think since I'm out here in Texas I'll go see.my old Dr. Out of pocket. But there, he and one.other are.the only ones who take.my insurance.

I plan on it. This dude resists he idea compleatly. He is just to pushey for me. Talks more.then listens. Sure, I'm deficult, but still, my money, me,me,me ! I just need to be able.to hike to 14,000 and maube I'll let it go. I'll ask about hose meds, and thanks.

Fire your doctor. Find one who cares more about you. It is always better to try and lower your blood pressure by getting healthy (losing weight, quit smoking, etc.) than with meds. And a good doctor will support that and help you to get off the meds safely.

Fire your doctor. Find one who cares more about you. It is always better to try and lower your blood pressure by getting healthy (losing weight, quit smoking, etc.) than with meds. And a good doctor will support that and help you to get off the meds safely.

My plan is to drop to 180 from 204. Im 6'2" so that should be healthy. Cut caftans in half, dump the ciggi's but keep the pipe, and the weed ( in moderation), less beef, more fish and greens. Oh, and physical theripy for the elbows.

Last edited:
I like to hike. I like to do it in mountains and stuff. At 38 I was given blood bressure meds called Bystolic. Its a beta blocker. Since I started takeing those, I can make maybe 9,500 feet before it starts to hurt, at 10,000 feet I'm in missery, beyond 10,000 feet is impossible. I just can't breath. I asked my Dr. about it and he said that the meds worked by slowing down your heart, and because of that, my heart struggles to get oxygen where it needs to be. Fine I say, how about stopping ? He said bad idea. I was bummed. But, this dude I work with was on beta blockers. He said that when he quit smokeing, and lost weight that he was able to get off them (the beta blockers). I already dropped 14 pounds, I'm at 214, BP is in the high green to middle low yellow on the machine at CVS which for me is good. I figure that I can drop down to 180, cut back on cofee, quit the ciggi's and then stop the meds. Anyone.done this with beta blo kers before ? Oh, please read my disclaimer below.

I understand that it is a bad idea to take medical advice from the internet, I understand the risks involved and absolve any poster who replies, as well as USMB and its admin, are not responcible for anything.that results from it.

ok... so you are asking...ill tell you

what the fuck are you thinking man?????!!!!?????

really...seriously???

you are willing to stop your meds to ..... hike. You are willing to risk a freaking heart attack or stroke.... just to hike in the mountains?

find some lower level places to hike.... sheesh.

dont make me reach thought this screen and smack you up side the head.

really...seriously???

you are willing to stop your meds to ..... hike. You are willing to risk a freaking heart attack or stroke.... just to hike in the mountains?

Ues all. Kids are growed up, and I don't like hang overs. I tried fishing, na, and all the good hunting is up high where lazy fat bodies won't go. A 28 year old died pretty badly at work, so really, dieing is dieing. We all going to do it. I would like to have my ticket punched haveing fun. Not macho crap. Just is.

really...seriously???

Ues all. Kids are growed up, and I don't like hang overs. I tried fishing, na, and all the good hunting is up high where lazy fat bodies won't go. A 28 year old died pretty badly at work, so really, dieing is dieing. We all going to do it. I would like to have my ticket punched haveing fun. Not macho crap. Just is.

yeah, i get that.

so if you are going to do what you want.....why are you asking :smiliehug:

really...seriously???

yeah, i get that.

so if you are going to do what you want.....why are you asking :smiliehug:

Interweb diagnosing. Looking for anyome else who has come off the drugs. I set an apointment with my old cardio guy I saw when I libed here. Going to ask about the.meds Mr.H recomended.

I have HBP. Always have. But....my doc did some experiments on me..and I experimented myself. I take atenolol (50 mgs per day), lisinopril, HCTZ. I also don't drink any kind of soda pop for about the past 7 years, NO GLUTEN, smoke like a chimney, and now my BP is down to about 135 over whatever. For me, that is LOW. It used to be in the upper 180's. The clencher was the lisinopril. I also take one med for thyroid. That's it. All my meds are mentioned above. Then again..I don't hike either. Wish I could get to maui to snorkel but alas, that isn't going to happen.

Whatever you do -- do not decrease or stop Beta Blockers on your own..

That low pulse rate can turn into serious arythmias if you don't wean off of them.. Your doctor MAY HAVE chosen this path if you ever complained of heart palpitations or flutters.

When I was on them -- It was obvious that on an elliptical machine, I could hardly get my heart rate to 100. BUT -- it didn't really affect my stamina at sea levels. Same amount of excercise routine and speed. So hate to diagnose here, but you might be looking at lung function and NOT just heartrate.

Last edited:
Whatever you do -- do not decrease or stop Beta Blockers on your own..

That low pulse rate can turn into serious arythmias if you don't wean off of them.. Your doctor MAY HAVE chosen this path if you ever complained of heart palpitations or flutters.

When I was on them -- It was obvious that on an elliptical machine, I could hardly get my heart rate to 100. BUT -- it didn't really affect my stamina at sea levels. Same amount of excercise routine and speed. So hate to diagnose here, but you might be looking at lung function and NOT just heartrate.

The palpitations... in ought-'04 I got up one morning and drank a big cup of coffee, ate a chunk of dark chocolate, then slammed a wad of tobacco under my lip.

My heart started doing the jump-ropes. Could not calm myself down. I ate an aspirin and called the doc. EKG then off to THE hospital (stupid Brits).

Overnighted there, and they sent me home with an RX for Amiodarone.

Initially, I slept a lot. Then got back into routine. Eventually the "side-effects" showed up. Over the ensuing weeks, I took 3/4, then 1/2, then 1/4, then zero pills.

That particular incident has not since recurred.

Diet, exercise and quitting smoking could very well eliminate your need for the drug. I have a genetic condition that should have killed me at around 50, but because I have led a very active life I had built up secondary blood supply that kept me alive. Now that I'm old exercise like that is hard but If I could maintain it I would probably not need all of the meds I'm on.

Forum List

Back